Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:33 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm
I guess they say that it's always darkest before the dawn.
That doesn’t necessarily mean the dawn isn’t in the distant future, it just means things will keep getting darker until it happens.

It only means the dawn is near if you assume this is the darkest it can possibly get. With Sarver running the show, that’s not a safe assumption.
Well that, and it isn't true. it is the darkest right in the middle between sunset and sunrise. It is the lightest at night right before dawn or right after sunset.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:42 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
That doesn’t necessarily mean the dawn isn’t in the distant future, it just means things will keep getting darker until it happens.

It only means the dawn is near if you assume this is the darkest it can possibly get. With Sarver running the show, that’s not a safe assumption.
Well that, and it isn't true. it is the darkest right in the middle between sunset and sunrise. It is the lightest at night right before dawn or right after sunset.
Haha. My guess is that the darkest is when Al McCoy decides he's had enough of the bs and hangs it up. Maybe Jones is on to something and they are rebuilding it all correctly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm
Gambo says Dave Joerger is not an option for Suns.
Yeah, he would demand too much, and he is vocal. That is not what Sarver will hire.
Sarver wants a sheep for a head coach; Joerger is a wolf.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm
For what it's worth, Vanterpool is one of the more highly regarded assistants in the league. Igor had the same rep, though.
Vanterpool is my preferred option. Monty Williams is a poor choice IMO.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Outside of the team facility, it was assumed the biggest reason to keep Kokoskov was not because he could potentially develop into a good coach with time, but because stability for a young team led by a development-minded coach was the right call.

Well, that’s not what Jones thinks.

“Having stability for the sake of stability isn’t something we are into,” he said.

While the core point of what Jones is saying does come through, that’s still a frightening declaration considering the franchise’s recent history.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1921323/ ... -kokoskov/

On this point, I agree with James Jones. I've never liked when people have campaigned against change just for the sake of stability. Stability is only beneficial when you're headed in the right direction. And you can't head in the right direction if you are following a bad plan or have the wrong people trying to execute the plan.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 pm
Outside of the team facility, it was assumed the biggest reason to keep Kokoskov was not because he could potentially develop into a good coach with time, but because stability for a young team led by a development-minded coach was the right call.

Well, that’s not what Jones thinks.

“Having stability for the sake of stability isn’t something we are into,” he said.

While the core point of what Jones is saying does come through, that’s still a frightening declaration considering the franchise’s recent history.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1921323/ ... -kokoskov/

On this point, I agree with James Jones. I've never liked when people have campaigned against change just for the sake of stability. Stability is only beneficial when you're headed in the right direction. And you can't head in the right direction if you are following a bad plan or have the wrong people trying to execute the plan.
Yeah, it’s tough. You’re right that if he’s not the right guy, then it’s better to cut bait now. I hope James Jones can come through this time because the organization has struck out time and time again recently on coaches. Jones’ hands aren’t clean on Kokoskov either since he was involved but maybe he’s mostly on McDonough. We don’t know the details.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The problem was really how long Sarver stuck with McD only to fire him in training camp. Sarver said something like "there's no good time to fire a GM", but that's exactly what he did. Igor was in no-man's land after his boss was fired months after being hired. I'd rather have a new regime in the FO with their own guy, but it's still Sarver's fault we're in this position. If he was on the fence about McD, he should've started this process with a new regime at the end of last year. But again, penny wise and pound foolish. I guess knowing Sarver, paying out all these ex coaches/execs is the best punishment we can ask for.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

That means we are, at best, halfway through the night. Frightening thought.

Come to think of it, doesn’t the darkest time depend on the phase of the moon? On those days when the moon sets shortly before sun rises, it really is darkest just before the dawn.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:52 am
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Come to think of it, doesn’t the darkest time depend on the phase of the moon? On those days when the moon sets shortly before sun rises, it really is darkest just before the dawn.
Maybe you guys just need a better metaphor that doesn’t require so much analysis.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 am
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Maybe you guys just need a better metaphor that doesn’t require so much analysis.
X WRONG X

We need more analysis.

Dawn is not the moment the sun crests the horizon. That's "sunrise". Dawn is "The first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise." Ergo, the darkest hour is just before dawn is true by definition. Once it gets lighter than the darkest hour, that's the start of dawn.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LOL!!
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:

X WRONG X

We need more analysis.

Dawn is not the moment the sun crests the horizon. That's "sunrise". Dawn is "The first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise." Ergo, the darkest hour is just before dawn is true by definition. Once it gets lighter than the darkest hour, that's the start of dawn.

So if the moon rises 1-2 hours after sunset, that’s the start of dawn?

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:

X WRONG X

We need more analysis.

So if the moon rises 1-2 hours after sunset, that’s the start of dawn?
Sarver shouts: “Stop this nonsense. Earth is obviously flat and the darkest hour is when the sun is under the earth and as long as i am the Suns owner i will make sure that it never rises again!
If you continue to insult me i will fire you all off the earth!”

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it all depends on what you mean by dawn. From what I saw, there is astronomical, nautical, and civil. But they are all based on degrees of the sun below the horizon, and have nothing to do with the moon. But all of them would say that the darkest hour is when the sun's angle to the horizon is -90 degrees (or the middle of the night).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2660 ... ams-friday

Phoenix Suns officials will travel to Toronto to meet with the franchise's top coaching candidate, Philadelphia 76ers assistant Monty Williams, on Friday, league sources told ESPN.

Williams has a second interview with the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday in Philadelphia that includes members of the Buss family, sources said.

The Suns appear determined to preempt a Lakers offer, which sources say was part of the timing in the dismissal of former coach Igor Kokoskov on Monday.
So the Suns are determined to preempt the Lakers' offer which could come on Thursday by meeting with Williams on Friday? Sounds like a smart plan.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Phoenix Suns officials will travel to Toronto to meet with the franchise's top coaching candidate, Philadelphia 76ers assistant Monty Williams, on Friday, league sources told ESPN.

Williams has a second interview with the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday in Philadelphia that includes members of the Buss family, sources said.

The Suns appear determined to preempt a Lakers offer, which sources say was part of the timing in the dismissal of former coach Igor Kokoskov on Monday.
So the Suns are determined to preempt the Lakers' offer which could come on Thursday by meeting with Williams on Friday? Sounds like a smart plan.
Yeah, I was curious about the logic behind this too, lol. Maybe they are talking about last Friday and they went back in time with the offer...but...wouldn't we already know if he turned it down or accepted it by now?...I'm trying to figure out this time line logic...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 pm
JeremyG wrote:

Yeah, I was curious about the logic behind this too, lol. Maybe they are talking about last Friday and they went back in time with the offer...but...wouldn't we already know if he turned it down or accepted it by now?...I'm trying to figure out this time line logic...
It's simple, Larry Fitzgerald is the Three Eyed Raven.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In2ition wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Well Woj makes it sound like it might take the Lakers awhile to decide on who to offer the job to. But that's crazy. If they like Monty after the second interview, they will offer him the job tonight before the Suns get a chance to talk to him. That's how this business works.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm
In2ition wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Well Woj makes it sound like it might take the Lakers awhile to decide on who to offer the job to. But that's crazy. If they like Monty after the second interview, they will offer him the job tonight before the Suns get a chance to talk to him. That's how this business works.
I figure if they are sending everyone and their mother in a family reunion type of meeting, they are trying to win him over and offer him today. So I'm with you, the Suns probably don't even get to pitch him or interview him the first time, let alone offer him the job.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve talked to several Suns players (who will remain anonymous) about the coaching situation. One player said that Kokoskov is a great assistant coach but not a head coach. Another told me that many of them would leave huddles or practice confused about what Kokoskov wanted them to do on the court. There was definitely a cultural and communication barrier between him and his players and it showed in many situations.

Another player said, “Good coach, just tough situation. Smart though, will definitely be a head coach again.”