Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm
And does anyone else see a real possibility of him being re-elected? Unfortunately, it feels pretty real right now.
If I didn't like my job so much, I would leave the country if that were to happen. If this country is stupid enough to elect this "man" again, then I have no words. Worst. President. Ever! (No lie.)
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll be he gets re-elected. And if he doesn't, I'll bet he fights to stay in office claiming interference, voter fraud or something else to rile his base up and put the Dems on the defensive. Michael Cohen said as much during his testimony. Trump knows that once he's a private citizen again the SDNY will unseal indictments and get him and his family on tax evasion, money laundering, etc.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 am
I'll be he gets re-elected. And if he doesn't, I'll bet he fights to stay in office claiming interference, voter fraud or something else to rile his base up and put the Dems on the defensive. Michael Cohen said as much during his testimony. Trump knows that once he's a private citizen again the SDNY will unseal indictments and get him and his family on tax evasion, money laundering, etc.
It's just a matter of time. His days are numbered.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Investigations will continue despite end of Mueller report
https://wtvr.com/2019/03/24/investigati ... er-report/

As Robert Mueller exits stage left, the Justice Department will continue to pursue a handful of investigations—and potentially more prosecutions — that began with or were bolstered by the special counsel’s work. And a significant group of them still focus around President Donald Trump.

The still-live investigations range from an expansive probe into the Trump inaugural committee, to various investigations relating to former top Trump campaign officials Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, to tips that stemmed from Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen’s experience with Trump and his family’s company. It’s possible other investigations are being conducted quietly, as well.

In all, Mueller leaves behind a mess of prosecutors in federal and state government still collecting documents, interviewing witnesses and prosecuting cases that may keep Trump’s family and associates on edge for months.

Much of the apparent action so far has been out of the powerful, insular US Attorney’s Office in Manhattan. The Southern District of New York office is already looking into donations and expenditures of the Trump inaugural, into the Trump Organization, into allegations from Cohen related to campaign finance and a possible suggested pardon. They’re also investigating well-known US lobbyists who worked for Ukraine.

Prosecutors from state and local offices and other federal prosecutor offices are also getting involved in the sprawling set of cases.

The subpoena, which was signed by Manhattan US Attorney Geoffrey Berman, disclosed that prosecutors are investigating a broad array of potential crimes related to the inauguration’s business conduct: conspiracy against the US, false statements, mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, inaugural committee disclosure violations and violations of laws prohibiting contributions by foreign nations and contributions in the name of another person, also known as straw donors.

The subpoena also specifically sought information on a donor named Imaad Zuberi and his investment firm, Avenue Ventures LLC, which donated $900,000 to the inaugural fund, according to Federal Election Commission records.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lately Trump is calling the Mueller investigation a "coup" and an "attempted overthrow of the US government," and that the people responsible for it were committing "treason." Sowing seeds for not accepting 2020 election result / not leaving office, no doubt.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-call ... 019-04-25/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Trump is the great hyperbolator, so it's easy to dismiss what he says a lot of the time.

What kind of evidence does he have?

Does this bother anyone besides Trump?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein has announced his resignation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

Seems like he wanted to stay on through the release of the Mueller report, but now he wants out. A strange figure in the whole story. He appointed Mueller, but he also wrote a completely false letter justifying Trump's firing of Comey, and he supported Barr's wildly misleading 4-page summary to the Mueller report. Good guy or bad guy? A little of both.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 am
Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein has announced his resignation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

Seems like he wanted to stay on through the release of the Mueller report, but now he wants out. A strange figure in the whole story. He appointed Mueller, but he also wrote a completely false letter justifying Trump's firing of Comey, and he supported Barr's wildly misleading 4-page summary to the Mueller report. Good guy or bad guy? A little of both.
That resignation letter is really strange.
“As I submit my resignation effective on May 11, I am grateful to you for the opportunity to serve; for the courtesy and humor you often display in our personal conversations; and for the goals you set in your inaugural address: patriotism, unity, safety, education, and prosperity, because ‘a nation exists to serve its citizens,’ ”
Coming from the guy that offered to wear a wire when some folks were talking about invoking the 25th, this seems like either he didn't write it but knew he was gone and just needed to sign it, or someone that is more than a lot conflicted.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 am
Lately Trump is calling the Mueller investigation a "coup" and an "attempted overthrow of the US government," and that the people responsible for it were committing "treason." Sowing seeds for not accepting 2020 election result / not leaving office, no doubt.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-call ... 019-04-25/
He's been planting seeds for a while. I don't think he leaves office willingly if he loses in 2020 which means he'll probably stay because the Rs will back him and the Ds will wring their hands over what to do.

Rosenstein's a goof.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mueller has finally broken his silence. He says that he objected to AG Barr's summary of his report.

"‘This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel,’ the letter said."

Barr needs to resign, and impeachment hearings for the President must begin in the House ASAP.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/ ... rt-1295269

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mueller asked Barr to submit Mueller’s team summary to Congress when he finished the investigation three different times. Barr refused and instead gave his own 4 page pro Trump cliff notes and it seems he didn’t even read the full report before doing so. Mueller and his team were pretty upset and sent Barr a letter complaining. Barr in Congress claimed he had no idea Mueller had any objections. Then we find out about the letter Mueller sent which proves Barr did know Mueller had objections. Barr then claimed Mueller was just complaining about the media coverage, not him, which was a lie.
Elosi jumped on that and has claimed Barr lied to Congress, which is a pretty serious charge.

Trump got what he wanted, a yes man in Barr. Democrats claim he is acting as Trumps defense lawyer and not the AG.

Barr was questioned by one of the female senators in Congress and he opened up the window for Democrats to speak directly to Mueller when he was asked questions about the report that he didn’t know and said “Ask Mueller”. A letter has now been sent directly to Mueller asking him direct questions and it appears that Mueller might come before Congress and testify, which would clear up a LOT. I am pretty sure Trump and the GOP will try to stop that from happening.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Barr said no President can be charged with a crime while in office before he was picked to be the AG. Then Trump picked him. The Mueller investigation was shut down right after Barr was appointed. Barr now says that if Mueller wasn’t willing to charge the President with a crime than there should never have been an investigation in the first place and that Mueller was negligent for not making a decision whether to charge Trump with a crime. If Barr believes a President cannot be charged with a crime then how does Barr expect Mueller to make a decision on whether to charge him with a crime if a President cannot be charged? Mueller made it clear that he was leaving the decision on what to do to Congress.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kamala Harris questioning Barr

“Has the president or anyone at the White House ever asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone?” Harris asked.

“Um … uh … I wouldn’t … I wouldn’t … uh … ” Barr sputtered.

“Yes or no?” Harris requested.

Barr asked Harris to repeat the question, which she did.

“The president or anybody else … ” Barr trailed off.

“Seems you’d remember something like that and be able to tell us,” Harris said.

“Yeah, but I’m trying to grapple with the word suggest,” Barr replied. “There have been discussions of matters out there that they have not asked me to open an investigation―”

“Perhaps they’ve suggested?” Harris tried to help Barr.

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t say suggest ―”

“Hinted?” Harris asked.

“I don’t know,” Barr stammered.

“Inferred?” Harris tried another word.

Barr clammed up.

“You don’t know,” Harris finally said.

“No,” Barr said

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The latest: Trump says Mueller should not testify:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... ne-1302632

Dems threaten to hold Barr in contempt for his summary and his evasive/lying answers in testimony before Congress:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/ ... pt-1302982

Trump suggests that two years of his presidential term were "stolen" by Mueller investigation distraction and that he ought to get +2 years added to his term to compensate (great!!):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... df72a4e78c

Super normal regular times we are living in right now...!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Trump isn't leaving office in 2020 if he loses. Get ready for it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I've heard this a bit lately, and it feels like a lot of people are suckers for conspiracy theories.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Jerry Falwell was the one that started the add two years to Trumps term bs. Trump just regurgitated it.

Yes a lot of people are suckers for conspiracy theories. Especially if it is something they want to believe.

Bill Maher has been saying from day one that Trump will refuse to leave office.

I am for Mueller testifying. He will be able to clear up a lot of bs and ne way or the other.

Cap

Post by Cap »

This much is certain: if Trump loses, he will blame it on “illegals” voting by the millions, and much of the GOP will go along with that. It’s not that much of a stretch to imagine some GOP-controlled state governments using that as an excuse to invalidate the election and choose their own Electors.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's not that much of a conspiracy when you objectively consider some of the things this administration and the congressional GOP have done in the past two years.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 am
Trump isn't leaving office in 2020 if he loses. Get ready for it.
That’s funny. We said the same thing about Obama in 2012 and when he couldn’t be re-elected in 2016.