Diamondbacks start well in April

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
LazarusLong

Diamondbacks start well in April

Post by LazarusLong »

* Grienke is 5-1 and the other starters (save for Godley) are fairly solid.
* Expect Duplantier making a few starts later this season.
* Bullpen is coming together.
* Hitting is much better than expected; Walker off to a good start in place of Goldschmidt.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

specialsauce

Re: Diamondbacks start well in April

Post by specialsauce »

Great start, but we’ve been fooled by that for the last few years

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s been fun, can’t imagine the offense will continue to produce like they’ve done. I think Peralta, Marte, and Escobar are legit. Not convinced Walker and Jones will keep it up.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would agree with your division of players

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:I would agree with your division of players
So would I. I like watching Jones play. I'm glad he signed here even tho it was only a one year deal.

I think they would have immediately turned the 5th starter role over to Duplantier if they could have. They have to wait the ten days for him to be eligible to come back up. Look for Clarke to make a spot start.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:35 pm
specialsauce wrote:I would agree with your division of players
So would I. I like watching Jones play. I'm glad he signed here even tho it was only a one year deal.

I think they would have immediately turned the 5th starter role over to Duplantier if they could have. They have to wait the ten days for him to be eligible to come back up. Look for Clarke to make a spot start.
Think I heard he hasn’t been stretched out fully. The 4 innings he pitched in the 15 inning game is his longest outing this year. He’s looked very impressive though...he should be the guy. I guess Taijun Walker is getting close as well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marte with home runs number 8 and 9 tonight. He won’t keep the 50 home run pace up, but is he gonna be a 25-30 homer guy?

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 pm
Marte with home runs number 8 and 9 tonight. He won’t keep the 50 home run pace up, but is he gonna be a 25-30 homer guy?
I think he'll regress to the mean soon, but even a 25 HR season out of him is kind of shocking. Are we in he era of the offensive short stop? Story, Lindor, Bregman, Didi, Machado (tho he moved to 3B for Tatis who looks like the real deal already), and Andrus? Plus a bunch of guys I probably am forgetting.

Anyway, this D-backs team seems like a fun & likable squad. How well do you think we have to do for them to keep Greinke instead of auctioning him off for parts. All but $70M of that contract has been paid....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Team is doing much better than I thought. I still think they’ll fade at some point, but maybe this team is good enough to make a run at a wildcard spot.

Weaver and Kelly are both pitching very well. If they keep it up, we’ve got a really solid rotation as Greinke looks good and Ray has been ok...he just walks too many people. We’ve got options at that 5th spot(Clarke, Duplantier, back to Godley, Walker when he’s healthy) so we can shuffle through guys until one starts producing. I think Duplantier ends up being that guy.

If the offense is legit and we stay in the wildcard race, I think we keep Greinke, although I wouldn’t blame them if they moved him to a team willing to take on his entire contract. You’re right though that it’s only 2 years after this one. Not bad.

Split T

Post by Split T »

DBacks still in the wildcard hunt. Greinke having his best D-Backs season yet. Do you take that opportunity to trade him? Or go for the wildcard?

Marte and Escobar having big offensive seasons for us. Marte has hit home runs 18 and 19 today. He’s still on pace for 40+ home runs. Really just incredible for a guy listed at 165 lbs. Offense in general has been a lot better than I expected.

I think we need another starter to step up. Greinke is the ace, Ray is ok, Kelly has been great lately. We could really use Weaver back or one of the rookies(Clarke or Duplantier) to get going. Bullpen seems to always be a concern as well.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

They have an outside chance at best at the wildcard, but I still think it would be beneficial to shoot for the moon.
Playing as if you have something at stake helps develop a team. Hang on to Greinke, at least for this season.
Don't cash in. The Suns are a perfect example of what happens when every year is an exercise in futility.

The DBacks have some trade assets -- they are overloaded at first base.
There was some talk about getting Mike Leake (a former ASU baseballer) from the Mariners.
But I wouldn't give up many/any good prospects for him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s what I was thinking. Their run differential indicates they’ve had some bad luck record wise. They are only a couple games out of the wildcard right now. Can always trade greinke in the off season.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Their record at home is mediocre, but they are road warriors ... I believe they are 15-4 in the Eastern time zone.
They also have problems with one-run games.
And they need to start winning a few more games within the division, especially against San Diego and the Rockies.
But they are fun to watch.
While I miss Goldschmidt and Pollock, they were quiet guys.
Peralta, Escobar and Marte like to play loose and are a bit more lively.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I was surprised they traded Greinke--I get the motivation behind the move, but was it worth it to trade a fan favorite, who really wasn't showing a lot of signs of slowing down?

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 am
I was surprised they traded Greinke--I get the motivation behind the move, but was it worth it to trade a fan favorite, who really wasn't showing a lot of signs of slowing down?
I think so. Was this team going anywhere? Most likely a non playoff team and at best a wildcard team that loses in the first round.

They cleared 53 million of future money and added 4 prospects, 3 of which were top 5 guys in the astros farm system. All of which are close to major league ready.

I really like what the dbacks did overall. I was excited about Jazz Chisholm, but Zac Gallen is now our top pitching prospect and he’s already having a lot of success at the major league level. Plus he’s under team control for 6 years.

Mike Leake was a pretty low risk move as well. We’re essentially just saving the Mariners 6 million dollars to use him. We gave up nothing for him.

So we may have slightly lessened our chances at the wildcard this year, but we are better positioned for the next few years.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I was shocked that Greinke was traded -- not by his loss,but more the fact that the Snakes got prospects in return as well as a good deal in getting rid of a majority of his contract.
While the loss of Greinke's talent is palpable, Arizona picked up a solid innings-eater, middle of the rotation pitcher in Leake, plus a top prospect in Gallen who has done well in his first major league season. For all his hype, Chisholm struggling through a season at Double A ball is not a great sign, and the Snakes are loaded in the minors when it comes to middle-infielders.

jonh

Post by jonh »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 am
I was shocked that Greinke was traded -- not by his loss,but more the fact that the Snakes got prospects in return as well as a good deal in getting rid of a majority of his contract.
While the loss of Greinke's talent is palpable, Arizona picked up a solid innings-eater, middle of the rotation pitcher in Leake, plus a top prospect in Gallen who has done well in his first major league season. For all his hype, Chisholm struggling through a season at Double A ball is not a great sign, and the Snakes are loaded in the minors when it comes to middle-infielders.
I remember how many people felt the Dbacks were making a horrible deal when they signed Greinke, and how the team was going to really regret the signing down the road. Not only did I feel he lived up to his end of the contract, but he was pitching so well, they could trade him to get assets. Really was a remarkable signing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, that first year it didn’t look great, but Greinke was a very good pitcher for us and we managed to get some real prospects in return for him. I wonder if we’ll make a splash in free agency this upcoming offseason now that we unloaded Greinke’s salary.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Josh Rojas made his debut yesterday. 2-4 with an RBI and a few nice plays in left field.

To think, he's the lowest ranked prospect of the 4 players we got in the deal. The dude is a stud and a local boy who grew up in Litchfield Park and played locally at Goodyear Millennium High and Paradise Valley Community College.

Between Double-A and Triple-A this year, Rojas was hitting .322 with 23 homers, 83 RBIs, 57 walks and 33 steals ahead of his call up. After he was traded from Houston to AZ, Rojas went 18-for-35 (.514) with three homers!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:Josh Rojas made his debut yesterday. 2-4 with an RBI and a few nice plays in left field.

To think, he's the lowest ranked prospect of the 4 players we got in the deal. The dude is a stud and a local boy who grew up in Litchfield Park and played locally at Goodyear Millennium High and Paradise Valley Community College.

Between Double-A and Triple-A this year, Rojas was hitting .322 with 23 homers, 83 RBIs, 57 walks and 33 steals ahead of his call up. After he was traded from Houston to AZ, Rojas went 18-for-35 (.514) with three homers!
Excited by him and curious what the arms turn out to be that came in the trade.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!