Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 am
No, he doesn't and I'm not sure why people think he does. He's a pure 2 just like Book. You can get away with a combo guard like McCollum at 1 because Book can initiate the offense passably, but putting another 2 next to him means he's the sole initiator which just isn't conducive to winning.
Agree.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Beal is as much if not more of an initiator as McCollum

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 am
No, he doesn't and I'm not sure why people think he does. He's a pure 2 just like Book. You can get away with a combo guard like McCollum at 1 because Book can initiate the offense passably, but putting another 2 next to him means he's the sole initiator which just isn't conducive to winning.
And doesn't cut it defensively either.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Agreed
I’m still not sure it would work, but Beal/Booker is a better option than Booker/McCollum to me.

Beal isn’t a pg, but he’s very comfortable with the ball in his hands and flourished with wall out. He was a 25/5/5 guy this year. He can play with the ball and without..just like booker. Ideally you find a true pg to pair with booker, but talent is talent and sometimes you’ve got to just get talent.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Agreed
I’m still not sure it would work, but Beal/Booker is a better option than Booker/McCollum to me.

Beal isn’t a pg, but he’s very comfortable with the ball in his hands and flourished with wall out. He was a 25/5/5 guy this year. He can play with the ball and without..just like booker. Ideally you find a true pg to pair with booker, but talent is talent and sometimes you’ve got to just get talent.
I'm not sure either, but Beal is 2 yrs younger than CJ, 5.5 assists to 3 assists, 24% assist rate to 14%, 20.8 PER to 17, .581 TS% to .553, with the same 2:1 assist to TO rate.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

And I think he’s a better defender than CJ...he’s just in a completely different tier.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk how well it would work, but a Booker/Beal sounds pretty good. It would seem to be better on paper than a Murray/Harris and close to a Lillard/McCollum in pure talent.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You could probably get away with a Beal/Booker backcourt ... if we had drafted freaking Doncic like we should have. Then our SF could help handle the ball and run the offense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is anyone watching the playoffs? A center is still uber important.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Yeah, I think Beal is at least as good in the role of "Point Guard" as someone like Pat Beverly. I don't think Booker needs a pure PG next to him, just someone who allows him to play off the ball more often.
Booker may not need a pure point guard, but I think the rest of the team does. Especially Ayton.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Booker may not need a pure point guard, but I think the rest of the team does. Especially Ayton.
That’s a good point

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Shabazz wrote:
That’s a good point
Yeah. That's very fair.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Honestly, I've said it before, but I think if we land Zion, we should throw whatever it takes at Memphis to get Conley. That (and some smart moves on the margins) would constitute an ideal offseason for me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d be happy with Conley...Does TJ, TJ, and the Mil pick get it done?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

They should try to trade for Conley. I just don’t think the grizz will go for it. TJ and Tj plus a mid to late first round pick would be excellent. Conley would start and Okobo could develop into a starter over time. If we drop in the lottery then i think that gets it done. James Jones hopefully will trade out out of the draft if we fall outside top 3.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'd give up Tyler, their choice of JJ or Warren, the Milwaukee pick and next season's pick with some light protection.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am
There’s no actual rumblings that philly would look to move Ben Simmons, but he doesn’t seem to fit in Philly and some media have discussed moving him...Would you trade for him? He can be our 4 and our pg...needs to figure out how to be effective when he doesn’t have the ball.
I think that really depends on who you put around him. He made zero threes this year. He played 2700 minutes and only took 6. He is the only non-center in the league to play that much without taking/making 3s. He would join Ayton in that category. So if we are going to have two players on the floor that can't stretch the floor, there wouldn't be much room to work.