Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Draft, trades, FA, fantasy rosterbation rebuild

Post by Mori Chu »

I am fond of Ben Simmons, but if you are watching the playoffs, the most important skill in today's NBA is unquestionably shooting. If you can't shoot, you won't be a star in the NBA. Even budding superstars like Giannis and Jokic seem to be trying to learn to shoot from distance. Simmons is a player who may not be able to fit in a modern NBA championship-level offense if he doesn't learn to shoot. And it's a bit late for him to just suddenly figure that out.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

You have to scaffold up. Conley would make a good addition if the admin strike out on other fronts.winning 40 games next year is progress. Asides from Ja in the draft, what other starting PGs are in our reach?

SDC

Post by SDC »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm
I like Ja's talent and am intrigued but not sure what to make of this kinda statement...... :shock:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1125481690015596545

who wins in the fight to control the team, point god or devin?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:43 pm
I don't mind as long as it's in the Embiid/Jokic mold. Just please don't rely on it.
I will be worried if he is like either of those guys. They take 3-4 a game and can't hit above 30%. If that is the case, they will let you take it all day long and get the long rebound for a quick break up the floor.
I have to defend Jokic here. In all 4 seasons he shot above 30%, even this year which was his worst. Last year he shot almost 40% taking 3.7 per game. And he's over 40% in the playoffs so far.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not offended by those comments from Ja Morant. He's a little cocky, but I don't think his on-court play is selfish. He loves passing and setting other guys up. As long as he does that, I don't mind if he struts a bit about it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 pm
I am fond of Ben Simmons, but if you are watching the playoffs, the most important skill in today's NBA is unquestionably shooting. If you can't shoot, you won't be a star in the NBA. Even budding superstars like Giannis and Jokic seem to be trying to learn to shoot from distance. Simmons is a player who may not be able to fit in a modern NBA championship-level offense if he doesn't learn to shoot. And it's a bit late for him to just suddenly figure that out.
If you can’t shoot, you better either be a low usage lob threat or a high usage ball handler that can get your own shot and create for others. And you better be really good(Giannis) so that you can remain effective in the playoffs. So far Simmons has not shown he’s as effective in the playoffs as the regular season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would take Simmons in a heartbeat. Love his game, even without the shooting. Play him at the 4 and pack the roster with shooters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 am
I'm not offended by those comments from Ja Morant. He's a little cocky, but I don't think his on-court play is selfish. He loves passing and setting other guys up. As long as he does that, I don't mind if he struts a bit about it.
He's not the perfect pg(is there such a thing?), but I think he can grow into improving his weaknesses. The things he's really good at, are the hardest things to get a pg to learn. I don't think he will wrestle control of the team away from Devin, but I think Devin will love playing with him as he will make him and the rest of the team better. I also think he can become that 2nd on the ball threat that they need over time. It's good that he's confident too, but not in the way that Marbury was where he thought it was all about him. Plus, I think that Devin is uber confident himself, and I don't think that any brash rookie is going to hurt his confidence.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would absolutely take Simmons, but I don't know if I would be willing to give up what one would have to give up to get him. We'd presumably have to trade picks and some promising young players to get the guy; they wouldn't just give him away. If we could somehow get him for basically nothing, absolutely, you have to do it. But would you give up, say, Bridges + Warren + Jackson + two future #1s? Just making up a package, but my point is that we'd have to ship out a lot of assets to even get them to consider it.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Darius Garland is a PG at 4-7 is not a reach. Most mock drafts have him at 4 or 5. Coming into the season he was projected as the #1 PG in the draft, but tore his MCL 5 games into the season. He's a good shooter, by all accounts and has prototypical PG size.

From espn:

"Darius Garland
6'3"
173 lbs
Vanderbilt
POS RK
OVR RK

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- High-level pull-up shooter with deep range who can get to his shot at will out of pick-and-roll or isolations thanks to his ball-on-a-string handle and polished footwork. Creates space with step-back jumpers in either direction. Live feet with quick-twitch athleticism. Comfortable shooting off the catch as well, sprinting off screens or hopping into 3s out of handoffs. Allows for more lineup versatility with his ability to play off the ball offensively. Clean, simple mechanics with a quick release.

- Plays off the threat of his jumper to get into the lane. Shifty ball handler. Good feel for when and how to change speeds and directions. Tough to keep in front in the half court. Not a great finisher yet but shows potential with floaters and creative scoops. Has passing instincts when he breaks down the defense. Has shown he can hit the roll man or find shooters after the defense collapses.

- Competitive with strong intangibles. Has the quickness and instincts to develop into a solid one-position defender as his frame fills out.

Improvement areas
- Still evolving as a facilitator. A little too trigger-happy from 3 at times. Although he had little help, finished his freshman season with 13 assists and 15 turnovers in 139 minutes. Scoring is ahead of his passing right now.

- Struggles to finish in traffic against length and contact. Not a physically imposing prospect or a threat to go up and finish above the rim. Has to rely on finesse and creativity, of which he's shown glimpses.

- Lacks a degree of defensive upside. Quick hands and feet but might struggle early in his career against more powerful guards. How will he hold up against switches? Coming off an MCL injury that sidelined him for most of his freshman campaign.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 am
Darius Garland is a PG at 4-7 is not a reach. Most mock drafts have him at 4 or 5. Coming into the season he was projected as the #1 PG in the draft, but tore his MCL 5 games into the season. He's a good shooter, by all accounts and has prototypical PG size.

From espn:

"Darius Garland
6'3"
173 lbs
Vanderbilt
POS RK
OVR RK

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- High-level pull-up shooter with deep range who can get to his shot at will out of pick-and-roll or isolations thanks to his ball-on-a-string handle and polished footwork. Creates space with step-back jumpers in either direction. Live feet with quick-twitch athleticism. Comfortable shooting off the catch as well, sprinting off screens or hopping into 3s out of handoffs. Allows for more lineup versatility with his ability to play off the ball offensively. Clean, simple mechanics with a quick release.

- Plays off the threat of his jumper to get into the lane. Shifty ball handler. Good feel for when and how to change speeds and directions. Tough to keep in front in the half court. Not a great finisher yet but shows potential with floaters and creative scoops. Has passing instincts when he breaks down the defense. Has shown he can hit the roll man or find shooters after the defense collapses.

- Competitive with strong intangibles. Has the quickness and instincts to develop into a solid one-position defender as his frame fills out.

Improvement areas
- Still evolving as a facilitator. A little too trigger-happy from 3 at times. Although he had little help, finished his freshman season with 13 assists and 15 turnovers in 139 minutes. Scoring is ahead of his passing right now.

- Struggles to finish in traffic against length and contact. Not a physically imposing prospect or a threat to go up and finish above the rim. Has to rely on finesse and creativity, of which he's shown glimpses.

- Lacks a degree of defensive upside. Quick hands and feet but might struggle early in his career against more powerful guards. How will he hold up against switches? Coming off an MCL injury that sidelined him for most of his freshman campaign.
There was a lot of hope for Garland. I remember a lot of people were talking him up big time, even in EYBL and were saying he was going to destroy Tre Jones, but Tre shut him down(even though Tre's team wasn't nearly as talented as Garland's) and got the best of him every time. It's hard to imagine his passing getting to a pass first NBA pg level, but he's a heck of shooter. Perhaps that gets better, but I don't even think he will get to a Conley type level, and Conley has never even been an All-Star.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 am
I would take Simmons in a heartbeat. Love his game, even without the shooting. Play him at the 4 and pack the roster with shooters.
Ya I’m a big Simmons guy as well. I think 3 shooters around a Simmons/Ayton front court would work. We’d just run into end of game issues when the ball would be in Bookers hands. Simmons needs to learn how to be effective without the ball.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Never take the ball out of his hands. No more PointBook or Booker trying to be like Harden. He can play off the dribble but Simmons has the ball whenever he's out there to run offense and distribute. If Simmons doesn't have the ball he should be cutting to we should be trying to get him on a switch in the post.

You also eliminate the need for a pure PG. You can go with a 3 and D point guard or pure(ish) shooter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am
Never take the ball out of his hands. No more PointBook or Booker trying to be like Harden. He can play off the dribble but Simmons has the ball whenever he's out there to run offense and distribute. If Simmons doesn't have the ball he should be cutting to we should be trying to get him on a switch in the post.

You also eliminate the need for a pure PG. You can go with a 3 and D point guard or pure(ish) shooter.
I haven’t been able to catch many of the philly games, but philly has been taking the ball out of his hands and giving it to butler down the stretch. I’m worried that it’s out of necessity rather than Butler just being better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:04 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am

I haven’t been able to catch many of the philly games, but philly has been taking the ball out of his hands and giving it to butler down the stretch. I’m worried that it’s out of necessity rather than Butler just being better.
That is how it seems to me too.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Would you trade Zion for LeBron?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would’ve welcomed Lebron when he left the Heat, but that time is gone

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think LeBron has a two year window for being the best player on a title winning team. On paper, he's exactly the type of player the Suns need.

In reality, he's a fucking circus that I'd rather not have to endure, let alone pay the Lakers for.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:08 pm
I think LeBron has a two year window for being the best player on a title winning team. On paper, he's exactly the type of player the Suns need.

In reality, he's a fucking circus that I'd rather not have to endure, let alone pay the Lakers for.
That is where I am at too

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He's on the bad side of 30 - no thanks.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695