2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm
I doubt anyone told Gambo that we’re trading the pick if it’s not top 2, but I can see it being simply that if we can’t get Zion or Ja, we’ll explore what else is available via trade. Doesn’t mean we will trade, just that we’ll pursue it. Honestly I’m ok with that. There’s some decent prospects that can help us, but I’m not sure there are special players in that 3-6 range.
Almost every draft has something special among the top15 (besides the consensus #1, if applicable). It's a matter of having the eye to spot it. But I get what you say. If it's not Zion or Ja, your duty is to find out what you can get for the pick (although I'd consider a trade even if we landed #2).

Again, if teams don't put Zion, Tatum or Siakam on the table for Anthony Davis, I believe we have a very real shot at him. Perhaps improved with the new HC and maybe even with the new GM, provided we are not adamant on a promise, in the mold of the risk the Raps and OKC took with Kawhi and PG13.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

SDC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm
I'm not totally sold on Ja. I liked Trae Young a lot more last year.
how come?
Sorry just saw this...I saw more of an NBA game, IQ and fundamentals from Trae. Also think Ja's also benefiting from a weak draft a bit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 am
Split T wrote:
I doubt anyone told Gambo that we’re trading the pick if it’s not top 2, but I can see it being simply that if we can’t get Zion or Ja, we’ll explore what else is available via trade. Doesn’t mean we will trade, just that we’ll pursue it. Honestly I’m ok with that. There’s some decent prospects that can help us, but I’m not sure there are special players in that 3-6 range.
Almost every draft has something special among the top15 (besides the consensus #1, if applicable). It's a matter of having the eye to spot it. But I get what you say. If it's not Zion or Ja, your duty is to find out what you can get for the pick (although I'd consider a trade even if we landed #2).

Again, if teams don't put Zion, Tatum or Siakam on the table for Anthony Davis, I believe we have a very real shot at him. Perhaps improved with the new HC and maybe even with the new GM, provided we are not adamant on a promise, in the mold of the risk the Raps and OKC took with Kawhi and PG13.
For sure, there will be somebody outside the top 2 that turns into a special player...I do not expect our staff to find then though, haha.

As for AD. We are kind of a dark horse. Monty and Bower both have been involved with his young career, they may feel like they can get him to stay. Boston and LA situations don’t seem as promising and their offers aren’t as appealing as before. What would our offer be?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As for AD. We are kind of a dark horse. Monty and Bower both have been involved with his young career, they may feel like they can get him to stay. Boston and LA situations don’t seem as promising and their offers aren’t as appealing as before. What would our offer be?
Something like Ayton, JJ, our 1st rounder, and salary ballast. They might want even more than that.

I'd do it if you had some assurance that AD was likely to re-sign. But I don't think he would, so I'd be too scared to do the trade and risk renting him for one year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya...I feel like we’d probably have to offer too much to get him. I would not want to do Ayton and our pick...unless AD was committed to staying...then I’d think about it. If we land 1, Zion alone should be enough...but I might just prefer to keep Zion, unless AD commits to staying.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also, why do they wait so long to do the draft lottery? Why not just do it right after the season ends when they do all the coin flips? It’s obviously not that big of a deal, but it would help out my rosterbation...or make it worse..I don’t know.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:

For sure, there will be somebody outside the top 2 that turns into a special player...I do not expect our staff to find then though, haha.

Ayton / Warren / Jackson / Pick swap
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:29 am
Also, why do they wait so long to do the draft lottery? Why not just do it right after the season ends when they do all the coin flips? It’s obviously not that big of a deal, but it would help out my rosterbation...or make it worse..I don’t know.
To space out news interesting events over the summer. There's something every month for fans of bad teams.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:

Ayton / Warren / Jackson / Pick swap

Hmm, we land 3, they land 7, they get 2 high level young guys(RJ and Ayton) a new scenery guy(Josh) and a solid young guy on a decent contract(Warren)

We get AD and still get to bring in a rookie(Clarke, Hunter, Culver, Garland)

Still leaves us in a bad spot if AD bails after 1 year, but something to think about

Split T

Post by Split T »

Says we see the guys 3-8 as about the same.

Also suggests a trade: #5 and Warren for Gordon and #16

I’d do that for sure

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think we need to trade for a steady, veteran PG if we land outside the top 2. I have absolutely no interest in Gordon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 am
I think we need to trade for a steady, veteran PG if we land outside the top 2. I have absolutely no interest in Gordon.
I would prefer a pg trade, but who’s available?

It doesn’t sound like we have any interest in Conley or Lowry.

I think Jrue will cost too much.

Who else is there?

Just sign Darren Collison and keep trying.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Conley would be an ideal fit. Contract sucks but not sure why we wouldn't have interest otherwise. I don't think Jrue would be available but I'd be willing to give up future picks for him. Griff being in NOLA probably hurts our chances there. No interest in Lowry tho he'd probably be an option.

But getting a legit, veteran PG is the only way we make a leap next year. Adding a guy like Gordon would useless if we're going with Melton, Okobo, PointBook and another rookie PG not named Ja. Even a guy like Darren Collison would be a waste of time IMO.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really doubt that Jrue is available. He's now the face of NO.

It sounds like Westbrook is available, but he has his own problems. Low shooting % and huge contract.
Also, Wall is available, but that's the worst contract in the NBA.

I think they can get a stop gap at pg this year, depending on where they land in the draft. Of course, that may not matter either. Next year's draft for pgs is unreal. It very well may be the best ever for that position, very talented and very very deep.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jones said awhile back that they’d have no interest in adding guys in the 32+ age range...seems to cross out Conley.

Jrue would be perfect, but I think it’d take more than just our pick this year.

Why don’t you like Collison? He shoots, he takes care of the ball, he can run an offense. He’s not a big difference maker, but he’s a better pg than we’ve had in 5 years here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am
I really doubt that Jrue is available. He's now the face of NO.

It sounds like Westbrook is available, but he has his own problems. Low shooting % and huge contract.
Also, Wall is available, but that's the worst contract in the NBA.

I think they can get a stop gap at pg this year, depending on where they land in the draft. Of course, that may not matter either. Next year's draft for pgs is unreal. It very well may be the best ever for that position, very talented and very very deep.
Who says no in a Westbrook for Wall trade? Just awful awful contracts...I guess OKC does because Westbrook is at least healthy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Who says no in a Westbrook for Wall trade? Just awful awful contracts...I guess OKC does because Westbrook is at least healthy.
OKC for sure. Westbrook is their guy, he's been an MVP for them and averaged a triple-double for three seasons (!). He's the face of their franchise, he plays his ass off, he likes to be there. It's his team. Why in heaven's name would they trade him for a totally busted player who may never be the same again, and honestly may not have even been as good as Westbrook before the injury?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am
I couldn't make anything work for Westbrook-to-Suns in the trade machine. He makes $35m and we just don't have enough contracts. The ESPN site wouldn't let me include Tyler Johnson in the trade, which would have helped. Is he not tradeable?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

He has an option to be exercised yet, I think.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea he needs to exercise his option to be included. But Tyler, TJ and JJ/Bridges for Westbrook works. I just don't love Westbrook and Booker together for some reason.