2019 NBA Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BlaCkAdDa

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Looks like I went early on Kyrie... Lots of players look elite for a game or two and then not so much after. Guess he's one of them.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I would 'buy low' on Kyrie in a second if it were possible, but he's a FA so it's not really on the table.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Embiid with a +40 tonight :shock:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm
Amazing how much better he is when he's healthy. Who knew?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I think the real question is, who knows when he'll be healthy?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Little misleading...he wasn’t great tonight

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Is it me? It feels so much like we were just here discussing Ayton yesterday. This year went nuclear fast...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It'll be real interesting to see whether the Rockets can push the series to 7 tonight given Durant's out with his injury. I'm really curious to see whether Steph, Klay, Draymond, etc. step up in his absence or whether they just can't keep pace with the Rockets' scoring. I think Curry's injured left hand is really bothering his shooting. He just doesn't look like himself. The Warriors have been kind of hiding Steph's diminished state by relying on Durant more, and now they can't do that. This will be a really interesting game; I think the Rockets will win it and push the series back to Oakland for Game 7, but we'll see.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m excited...could have 3 game 7’s on Sunday!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If the Rockets don't force game 7, I think that means Portland-Denver will be in the daytime, meaning Kanter will have to play while fasting without even drinking water. Yikes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they’ve already scheduled the game for 9 ET

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Good bye Houston! Goodbye to a group of players that are probably the least likeable cast since San Antonio in its prime.

Harden, Paul, Rivers. All so hard to watch and cheer on because of rather attitude, antics, or both.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 pm
I think they’ve already scheduled the game for 9 ET
It is now scheduled for 1:30 pm local time. I know Olajuwon did it but never in the playoffs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, moved it into the warriors/rockets slot

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really, really hate all the flopping the Rockets do. Harden and Paul both do this to ludicrous extremes. Paul even had one play tonight where he flopped, halfway got up, then flopped down again. He should get fined every single game for that garbage. And then Harden on every jump shot kicks his legs out and falls down like he tore his ACL. It's bad for basketball. T them up, fine them, don't tolerate it.

Rockets played pretty well overall, but the fact that the Warriors can come into their house without their best player and beat them in an elimination game tells you how wide the talent gap was here. The Rockets have 1.5 elite players, and the Warriors have 3.5. It isn't close.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Such a close game that HOU didn't know how to win (totally Suns-like) despite no Durant, no Curry in the first half and the game inexplicably ghosting in the second half a Klay that was going nova.

Nice games from Rivers (whose first step looked so so crisp), Gordon and an inmense PJ Tucker (still amazes me that some people refuse to see what a huge net positive he is to a team). Paul looked like he could take over at one point, but he stopped punishing GSW with his midrante pull up after switches. Didn't think Mike D made relevant mistakes with timeouts or substitutions, although Nene perhaps could have helped more (but his troubles guarding Curry already did cost HOU in this series, so hard to tell).

Still, HOU couldn't keep Looney from giving GSW extra possessions. Your best rebounder was Paul, go figure. Huge factor (that's why I talked about Nene).

Also, the Rockets were up 7 at one point in the 4th, they get a rare fastbreak and it's Gerald Green of all people who tries to lead it 3vs1, only to make a TO, then missing HOU's following two attempts with bad shot selection. Huge swing.

Also, inexcusable TO in crunch time when Capela bothed the inbound pass with around 1:30 mis left. Beyond terrible.

Refs were mostly not a factor, which was great. Although the tech on Gordon (which in itself was right) was preceded by an extremely obvious foul on him that the ref just refused to call, because he was as close to the play as you can be. At one point, Draymond complained and made gestures more than enough to whistle for a tech, but they chose to not do so.

But yeah, HOU can only blame themselves (wtf Harden missing FTs). Such a shame there won't be a game 7.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This game/series had a little bit of a mid-to-late-2000s Suns vs Spurs feel, didn't it?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

These definitely aren't the "Clutch City" Rockets.

They can retire that nickname for good now.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

How many time have the Harden Rockets been eliminated by GSW? Four or five? Still, I wouldn't break the team and in any case first I need to see if KD is leaving.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think a lot of people forget how good the Ws are and can be, even without Durant.