2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

We’ll know Tuesday..kinda interesting that tuesday could be bigger news than the actual draft. If we land 1 we know we got Zion, if we land 2, we’ll get Ja. I guess if we land 3 or later we will still be in the dark a bit.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:21 am
I really hope we end up with #2 and take Morant. I am not letting myself hope for #1/Zion, but #2/Morant would be a huge upgrade for us and get us set up at PG for the next decade. Then we could address PF and backup PG through free agency. That's a young team I can get behind.
I hope we do. We have a 27.4% chance of getting top 2. Not great. But better than some.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I’m almost hoping for #2 over #1. I think Zion could be like taking Blake Griffin #1 over Steph Curry. Morant could be our next franchise PG.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot. In some ways, he's a lot like Elfrid Payton. He could be a good defender, but his awareness wasn't very good off ball. He's also not great without the ball, but has his moments from time to time. With Booker, he will have to become a good spot up shooter to keep teams honest off of Booker. He is also very turnover prone. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him, and think there could be 5 pgs better than him next year. He also could very likely end up coming off the bench if/when the Suns sign a vet pg. Zion is far better prospect.
You think there is 5 pg’s in this draft better than Ja?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
No, I think there could 5 pgs in the draft next that could be better than him.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Gotcha...I haven’t looked at that draft...I’ve heard it’s pg heavy..but it’s way too early and I’m not waiting another year for a pg

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Gotcha...I haven’t looked at that draft...I’ve heard it’s pg heavy..but it’s way too early and I’m not waiting another year for a pg
Well, there should be many good options available this year in FA and/or trade this year.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot.
Is this part true? I didn't realize he shoots with the wrong hand.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm
In2ition wrote:Morant, although a very good passer, he has his faults and is not a perfect prospect. He's left handed, but shoots right handed in almost a push shot.
Is this part true? I didn't realize he shoots with the wrong hand.
I think I heard that on the most recent 7SOL podcast too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The push shot bothers me as well.

I don't know...I would take him #2 for sure but I'll always long for De'Aaron Fox. What could've been...sigh.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't have any concerns about Morant's shot. He's already a better shooter than Payton, and a summer or two with a shot doctor is all he needs.

The defense is a concern, although I don't think it's an awareness issue. I think he just rested on defense a lot in college because he seemed to defend much better at the end of tight games.

But nobody should think Morant is in the same category as Zion. Some mocks have Morant dropping to 3 or 4 because of the D and the shot. Zion would be the clear #1 is almost any draft in history.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I just don’t know if Zion will be that dominant in the NBA. I have concerns about both his height and his weight. Also, he relies heavily on his athleticism, which will diminish with age and could diminish quickly with just a single injury.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm
I just don’t know if Zion will be that dominant in the NBA. I have concerns about both his height and his weight. Also, he relies heavily on his athleticism, which will diminish with age and could diminish quickly with just a single injury.
He's a phenomenal athlete, but I don't think he over relies on his athleticism. I think his BB IQ is pretty high. I don't think I'm in the camp that thinks that Zion is 100% going to be the best player ever, but I think you have to take him #1. I think his floor is Charles Barkley, which is pretty impressive to me. I get the sense that Zion is in the Vince Carter realm, where, sure, he's a freak athlete, but that his game will age well because he's a pretty smart player.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I agree you have to take him at #1. But I think Barkley would be his ceiling not his floor.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm
Anyone's athleticism could be destroyed with an injury. That's a hard thing to predict. LeBron and Carter are freak athletes that have been relatively healthy for a ridiculous amount of time.

I have my own concerns, and have honestly thought that perhaps falling to 3-7 would't be all that bad. I almost think that Clarke might end up better for the Suns, in that he becomes a glue guy role player that every team needs to win at position that compliments Ayton instead of hurting or diminishing his development. Along with the Suns needing another player at pg and one that compliments and helps Booker(being a player that can create his own shot and becomes a secondary scorer and playmaker).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm
I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think Clarke will fit in with what the Suns do. Clarke is a winner. :twisted:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.
I know, just think if Zion ends up an all-nba guy, it’d be silly to have taken a role player over him, regardless of how he fits. And Clarke needs a jump shot to be a great fit.