2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm
I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.
I know, just think if Zion ends up an all-nba guy, it’d be silly to have taken a role player over him, regardless of how he fits. And Clarke needs a jump shot to be a great fit.
You're right about him possibly becoming an All-NBA player. I'm not sure that Clarke doesn't develop a better jump shot quicker than Zion does. Have you seen the improvements he's made?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think some of these comments might be pretty funny in a few years. I love Brandon Clarke, but Zion could be a 1st team all-nba guy, a true alpha dog. Zion to Clarke could be like AD to MKG.
I'm not saying that Clarke will be better than Zion. Not at all. I'm just saying it's possible in the long run that he might be a better fit for the team they are building, and it's not the end of the world if they fall.
I know, just think if Zion ends up an all-nba guy, it’d be silly to have taken a role player over him, regardless of how he fits. And Clarke needs a jump shot to be a great fit.
You're right about him possibly becoming an All-NBA player. I'm not sure that Clarke doesn't develop a better jump shot quicker than Zion does. Have you seen the improvements he's made?
Yes, Clarke has improved a lot, but Zion isn’t as broken of a shooter as some think. He ended up at 34% from 3. That’s good enough considering all that he brings to the table.

I view Zion like Giannis...they’re different as Giannis is much longer, but Zion is more athletic. Zion will be a 4/5 like Giannis, that can play on the perimeter and abuse people down low. He also has similar defensive potential.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Yes, Clarke has improved a lot, but Zion isn’t as broken of a shooter as some think. He ended up at 34% from 3. That’s good enough considering all that he brings to the table.

I view Zion like Giannis...they’re different as Giannis is much longer, but Zion is more athletic. Zion will be a 4/5 like Giannis, that can play on the perimeter and abuse people down low. He also has similar defensive potential.
You're right, Zion would be awesome.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

And I do still have Clarke 3rd on my board for the record

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:51 pm
And I do still have Clarke 3rd on my board for the record
Clarke is the Marion of this draft, lol.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

When I watch Zion play 2 words come to mind, “microfracture surgery”. I guess that’s the curse of being a Suns fan.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, being a Suns fan takes all the joy out of their luck?

Split T

Post by Split T »

sunshoopjunky wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm
When I watch Zion play 2 words come to mind, “microfracture surgery”. I guess that’s the curse of being a sons fan.
That’s not really a thing anymore

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 pm
sunshoopjunky wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm
When I watch Zion play 2 words come to mind, “microfracture surgery”. I guess that’s the curse of being a sons fan.
That’s not really a thing anymore
And yet another sign I am getting too old for this lol.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not considering any trades or FA signings, my three targets for #6.

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
Reddish scares me...he could be really nice if he pans out though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
Is it crazy to think Garland would be the best PG in this draft (and best on our team if we took him)? Even as a rookie?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
He doesn't scare me any more or less than guys like Culver, Hunter, Little, etc..

It's impossible to have too many shooters and I think he has the best combination of size and shooting at the top of the draft.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
Is it crazy to think Garland would be the best PG in this draft (and best on our team if we took him)? Even as a rookie?
It’s not crazy to think he would be our best point guard. Smush Parker could be the best point guard on our team.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
It’s not crazy to think he would be our best point guard. Smush Parker could be the best point guard on our team.
Yeah, but I really meant about this draft.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
My grandmother could be the best point guard on our team, and she’s dead.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
He doesn't scare me any more or less than guys like Culver, Hunter, Little, etc..

It's impossible to have too many shooters and I think he has the best combination of size and shooting at the top of the draft.
That’s fair...he was just not good as a freshman. Hunter isn’t as dynamic a shooter, but he was very good in catch and shoot situations and will defend.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish
I think Garland has a ways to go to be a run the offense pg, but he’ll be a scorer right away. He can really shoot, which is nice.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

1. Brandon Clarke
2. Darius Garland
3. Cam Reddish

That’s fair...he was just not good as a freshman. Hunter isn’t as dynamic a shooter, but he was very good in catch and shoot situations and will defend.
I'm not against Hunter even though I came away unimpressed most of the time I watched Virginia. I just think he has the lowest ceiling.

It would be great if a guy like Reddish is available at #6 because I definitely think at least one team drafting behind the Suns will love him. Then the Suns could move back a bit and still get a guy like Hunter while picking up another asset.

Swap 6 for 8 with Atlanta and pick up a future protected first rounder. Something like that.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don’t think the Suns need to be drafting a swingman with serious motor concerns (Reddish). Doesn’t seem like a marriage that makes sense for either side.