2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm
djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm
I think trading it avoids picking another bust by an incompetent organization.
That's how you wind up trading the draft rights for Pau Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
You really had to dig deep in history to find that example there. I’ll agree to disagree with you.

I wouldn’t trade the sixth pick for 2 years of Conley. But I wouldn’t hesitate to send it off to get another core piece (Holiday, Russell, Gordon)
Giving up a lotto pick for the right to pay Russell a max deal is asset management at its worst. Also, Brooklyn may not even be interested in resigning him if they can add a pair from the Irving/Durant/Leonard/Thompson/Kemba group. Nor would they be able to resign him. But we're ready to dump a lotto pick for him?

I actually like Gordon, but he is underperforming relative to his contract. Good thing is that he is still young and improving. But he is wildly inconsistent and isn't a strong rebounder. Big contract, inconsistent, not a strong rebounder. I'd roll the dice on a guy like that in free agency (and I was interested in acquiring him last season). But now we're expecting to invest cap space and a premium asset? Again, that is a poor way to build a contender. I'd pick swap with Orlando, but I wouldn't give up the lotto pick so easily.

Holiday isn't getting moved.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm
INFORMER wrote:
djy2j wrote:
That's how you wind up trading the draft rights for Pau Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
But also stashing Bogdan Bogdanovic then trading him for Marquis Chriss can’t make you feel any better about letting them use the pick.
To be accurate, the "them" that made that decision aren't around anymore.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.

I’m not really going to argue for trading the pick, as that isn’t really what I want. Again, I was just reacting to being disappointed we fell to 6. I’m just not against trading it. I don’t have a suggestion other than the ones I mentioned earlier, but those were all trade downs.

6 and Warren/Jackson for 16 and Gordon
6 and Jackson for 17 and Dinwiddie

I would have looked at Jrue, but don’t see him being moved now that they landed 1.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm
djy2j wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
djy2j wrote:
But also stashing Bogdan Bogdanovic then trading him for Marquis Chriss can’t make you feel any better about letting them use the pick.
Fair enough. But the guy calling those shots is the guy who let Tyson Chandler and Austin Rivers walk for nothing as well as acquiring 20 mil per Tyler Johnson.
Chandler turned out to be a even worse in LA but at the Rivers was a nice piece for Houston this year.

He got Oubre but this was after the inexcusable player name flub that caused the initial trade to break down. I chalk getting Oubre to more of on the dumb luck side but that’s just me.

Point is that I don’t have a lot of faith in Jones but I have more faith in him knowing other NBA players and trading for talent that way rather than drafting when they openly say they don’t really even scout players.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:04 pm
Brooklyn would say no in a heartbeat, and for good reason. Dinwiddie is a stud. And that got him at a great price. Plus, they can get a good player at 17.

I was heartbroken when they extended Dinwiddie; he would have been great for the Suns.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If I were the Warriors, and Durant wanted to go to Brooklyn, I would try to engage Brooklyn in a sign and trade deal involving Dinwiddie.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Brooklyn would say no in a heartbeat, and for good reason. Dinwiddie is a stud. And that got him at a great price. Plus, they can get a good player at 17.

I was heartbroken when they extended Dinwiddie; he would have been great for the Suns.
You may be right...do they need to clear space to land two max free agents? If we take Jackson out of the deal, we can clear them 7-8 million in space.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote: That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.
Ray Allen was trades for #5 I think?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:33 pm
There's no one at 6 who can help. Just a bunch of SG/SFs.

Teams know we're desperate.

We'll either make a stupid trade, or draft a guy who can be our 6th string guard behind Booker, Jackson, Warren, Bridges, and Oubre.

What a freaking waste of a season of tanking. If I was Booker, I'd be asking for a one way ticket out of Phoenix, because next year is going to be just as bad as this year was. We're not getting a PF or a PG with $5M in cap space after we sign Oubre. But hey, we are paying Tyler Johhnsom $20M to really suck at playing out of position, and ever so slightly less as an undersized SG where we have like 5 other guys that can play the position.

F*****ing done.
Hasta!

You don't need to sign Oubre first, since he's restricted FA. You might be the second or third most negative "Suns fan" I have ever met.

It's not the end of the world, get off the ledge. Opportunities will present themselves. I do agree that this season of tanking was a complete waste though. I thought it was before the season and nothing has changed my mind.

Idk if the Suns are smart enough, but Clarke is the perfect player at 6 to put next to Ayton. Only Zion would have been better. He does everything you want next to Ayton to compliment him and cover his weaknesses.
What makes you think we were tanking? We were just missing a PG and PF most of the year. We just weren’t that good. Then we finally dumped the dead weight of Chandler/Anderson/Ariza had a nice run and then we were hit with injuries. All this with Warren out most of the year.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:30 pm
Ray Allen was trades for #5 I think?
You are correct. Good memory; I forgot all about that.

If someone wants to offer an All-Star of Ray Allen's caliber for the #6 pick, I would definitely listen.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm terrified that James Jones will trade for Chris Paul.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
djy2j wrote:
That was McDonough. He gone. Everybody is making a lot of assumptions about how we’ll handle the draft. I’m taking a wait and see approach.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 pm
Split T wrote:

Same.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 pm
I had this thought for the first time about 6 hours ago when I was at the gym. It made me angry, which helped with the exercising part.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I would first try and get Conley without offering this year's pick. I'd start with an offer of Tyler, JJ, Okobo and the Milwaukee pick. I don't think Memphis is looking to keep him anymore. Wright and Ja is enough at PG.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Booker is going to leave the suns if there are no proven players on this squad. This team needs starting vets not prospects. The worst thing about falling back means theres no starter to be had from this draft class. Which means the Suns have to find a starting PG, PF, and while trying to make room to sign Oubre. I don’t see it all happening.
If Conley can be had for Tyler Johnson and change, they can use the 6th pick for a PF. But for who? Gordon? Why would the Magic give him up?
There’s not enough cap space to sign a Mirotic, Randle, or Tobias Harris. I just see problems folks.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I find it hard to believe that the Grizzlies would move Conley for anything that's not a great deal for them. To be clear, any combination of TJ^2/JJ/MIL pick is not a great deal for them.

They have plenty of incentive to keep both Conley and Morant for at least one year. Maybe they deal him at the deadline if Morant is playing really well or they're buried in the conference.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 pm
Don’t worry, he already said at the trade deadline that he doesn’t want to acquire players who are nearing the end of their prime.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

Cleveland won a championship. Love averaged 16 and 10. Role player huh.
He was a role player there. Winning a ring when Lebron was playing the best basketball of his clearly HOF career, and Kyrie had the best series of his life, too. JR Smith got more shots during that series than Love. And RJ had more minutes. Love was even 3rd in rebounds, and 5th in points scored. Absolutely a role player.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm
djy2j wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
djy2j wrote:
I have not been a fan of how our FO was formed, but I am truly hopeful that at least now all 3 guys will be on the same page, and will bring Monty in and get him on that page, too. I am not sure when the last time we had our GM, VP of BBall Ops, Cap guy/assistant GM, and Coach on the same page.