2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.
Cleveland won a championship. Love averaged 16 and 10. Role player huh.
He was a role player there. Winning a ring when Lebron was playing the best basketball of his clearly HOF career, and Kyrie had the best series of his life, too. JR Smith got more shots during that series than Love. And RJ had more minutes. Love was even 3rd in rebounds, and 5th in points scored. Absolutely a role player.
Sure but that wasn’t Love’s fault. Bron operated in the space that Love used to and they relegated him to the corner 3 more often than not. It is what it is but they didn’t use Love to the extent of his abilities. They did waste several years of his prime though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 pm
Booker is going to leave the suns if there are no proven players on this squad. This team needs starting vets not prospects. The worst thing about falling back means theres no starter to be had from this draft class. Which means the Suns have to find a starting PG, PF, and while trying to make room to sign Oubre. I don’t see it all happening.
If Conley can be had for Tyler Johnson and change, they can use the 6th pick for a PF. But for who? Gordon? Why would the Magic give him up?
There’s not enough cap space to sign a Mirotic, Randle, or Tobias Harris. I just see problems folks.
The magic would give him up because they drafted Isaac and if they can get someone who fits better at the 3(Warren) they can balance their roster a little better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:44 am
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
But if it can be the center piece of a deal for a true core piece, by all means trade it.
That just rarely happens. Cleveland gave up the 1st pick for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love was merely a whipping boy for LeBron; that role could have easily been filled but some vet on the MLE. Now he is just an albatross. Fortunately for them, Wiggins hasn't panned out yet, and currently looks like an albatross as well.

The Rockets move the rights to Rudy Gay (#9) pick for Shane Battier. He was a really good role player on a team that routinely got ousted from the first round.

There is the Reef for Gasol swap. There was the unfortunate pick dump in 2004 by the Suns. That led to Q, which led to giving up another pick to get Kurt Thomas, which led to giving up 2 picks. None of that was necessary.

At least suggest a player. To blindly hope to trade the pick just for something just feels like a course lacking any semblance of awareness.
Cleveland won a championship. Love averaged 16 and 10. Role player huh.
He was a role player there. Winning a ring when Lebron was playing the best basketball of his clearly HOF career, and Kyrie had the best series of his life, too. JR Smith got more shots during that series than Love. And RJ had more minutes. Love was even 3rd in rebounds, and 5th in points scored. Absolutely a role player.
Sure but that wasn’t Love’s fault. Bron operated in the space that Love used to and they relegated him to the corner 3 more often than not. It is what it is but they didn’t use Love to the extent of his abilities. They did waste several years of his prime though.
I think that was INF's point. Trading to get Love didn't do much for Cleveland, because Lebron forced Love out of the post and basically turned him into a long-distance jump shooter.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

djy2j wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Cap wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm
TJ, Warren, the 6th, and JJ will totally be in play this draft. What team bites at our pick?
We’re going to be desperate to trade the pick because we haven’t scouted anybody. Pretty good bet we end up trading it for absolute crap.
Settle down Cap. Each member of the Suns scouting department is equipped with their own YouTube Premium login. They can access videos of people playing basketball 24 hours a day, as long as they are somewhere that has WiFi accessibility.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:04 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’m not really going to argue for trading the pick, as that isn’t really what I want. Again, I was just reacting to being disappointed we fell to 6. I’m just not against trading it. I don’t have a suggestion other than the ones I mentioned earlier, but those were all trade downs.

6 and Warren/Jackson for 16 and Gordon
6 and Jackson for 17 and Dinwiddie

I would have looked at Jrue, but don’t see him being moved now that they landed 1.
Honestly, we need to let the dream of Jrue die. As soon as AD said he wanted to be traded, Jrue stepped up and became the face of NO basketball. They absolutely love him and won't trade him unless he says he wants to be traded. He would be great in Phx, but I just don't see it happening anymore. Many many people in NO say the chance that he's traded is 0%.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Realistically, the Suns only have a chance at obtaining either:

a. A guy who isn't really a PG via the draft (White, Colbert)

b. A guy who was injured who is a PG (Garland)

c. A third tier PG via free agency (Tyus Jones, McConnell) (<-- Probably the most likely)

d. Trade for a superfluous, older second-tier PG like Conley with a bad contract (e.g. Johnson + Warren for Conley or Teague).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Here are my updated lists, with the repeated qualifier that I haven't scouted this draft very much. Just like Sarver, I've found that my time on youtube hasn't helped the Suns win.

Clarke
Garland
White / Culver (only one will be available here)
Bol Bol

#32 (at least one of these guys will be on the board at 32)
Johntay Porter
Shamorie Ponds
Bruno Fernando
Cam Johnson

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I understand that he has his flaws, but I believe that Rubio is a free agent.

He's the kind of player Sarver likes; he's in the right age range, had a ton of hype in the draft, the rest of the league is ready to move on from him. We could end up going after him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am

c. A third tier PG via free agency (Tyus Jones, McConnell) (<-- Probably the most likely)

d. Trade for a superfluous, older second-tier PG like Conley with a bad contract (e.g. Johnson + Warren for Conley or Teague).
I could be missing a few, but here is a decent list.

UFAs at pg - Collison, Rozier(Yuk), Rubio, Rose
RFAs at pg - DLo, Satoransky, Tyus Jones, McConnell
Possibly on trade market - Lonzo, Conley, Dinwiddie, Lowry, VanVleet
Possibly available at 32 - Carson Edwards(killer, shooter, strong, reminds me of Lowry a little), Jalen Lecque(might be a better athlete than Ja), Arturs Zagars(draft and stash, great shooter, super crafty and shifty guard with Nash, Curry, Young type of feel for the game with quick release, finishes like Kyrie around the basket, but better more willing passer)

I'm telling you guys, next year's PGs in the draft will be all-time good with talent and depth. It's bad value to waste it on a PG at 6 this year.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 am
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’m not really going to argue for trading the pick, as that isn’t really what I want. Again, I was just reacting to being disappointed we fell to 6. I’m just not against trading it. I don’t have a suggestion other than the ones I mentioned earlier, but those were all trade downs.

I would have looked at Jrue, but don’t see him being moved now that they landed 1.
Honestly, we need to let the dream of Jrue die. As soon as AD said he wanted to be traded, Jrue stepped up and became the face of NO basketball. They absolutely love him and won't trade him unless he says he wants to be traded. He would be great in Phx, but I just don't see it happening anymore. Many many people in NO say the chance that he's traded is 0%.
This would be like other fan bases saying they need to trade for Booker.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

Exactly. People that don't know(other fanbases) are quick to think he's available.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They're not moving Jrue now. Is Payton a FA?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 am
Wormwood wrote:

Possibly available at 32 - Carson Edwards(killer, shooter, strong, reminds me of Lowry a little), Jalen Lecque(might be a better athlete than Ja), Arturs Zagars(draft and stash, great shooter, super crafty and shifty guard with Nash, Curry, Young type of feel for the game with quick release, finishes like Kyrie around the basket, but better more willing passer)

I'm telling you guys, next year's PGs in the draft will be all-time good with talent and depth. It's bad value to waste it on a PG at 6 this year.
I’m a homer on Carsen Edwards but I read a quote yesterday from some analyst that said “Carsen will be an absolute killer in this league but no GM will have the stones to take him in the lottery because of his size”
I believe it. He’s got everything to be a star in the league except for height. He’s got Curry and Dame range already.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Exactly. People that don't know(other fanbases) are quick to think he's available.
I think it was perfectly reasonable to think he might be available when AD asked for a trade. He’s kinda borderline age wise where if they decided to rebuild, they may have wanted to move on. So it was questionable before, now that they landed 1, they can get a massive haul for AD and it makes a lot of sense to have Jrue lead a very talented/young team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am
In2ition wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I’m a homer on Carsen Edwards but I read a quote yesterday from some analyst that said “Carsen will be an absolute killer in this league but no GM will have the stones to take him in the lottery because of his size”
I believe it. He’s got everything to be a star in the league except for height. He’s got Curry and Dame range already.
Not really a pg, but I’ve heard Lou Williams thrown out as a possible comp.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

djy2j wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am
In2ition wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

This is the first I've heard of him. But wow. ok. Looks gret in the highlights. :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think it was perfectly reasonable to think he might be available when AD asked for a trade. He’s kinda borderline age wise where if they decided to rebuild, they may have wanted to move on. So it was questionable before, now that they landed 1, they can get a massive haul for AD and it makes a lot of sense to have Jrue lead a very talented/young team.
I was talking about Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Well the comment still stands on Jrue from earlier in the conversation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Well the comment still stands on Jrue from earlier in the conversation.
Yes, you are definitely right about Jrue, imo.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm

I heard them talk about him, those are just the only takes I have heard so far.
So, his measurements today back up the fact that his arms are average length which is not great for his defensive prospects in the NBA.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!