2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm
I don’t think the Suns need to be drafting a swingman with serious motor concerns (Reddish). Doesn’t seem like a marriage that makes sense for either side.
Really, lack of motor is the only thing we don't have in a 3. We've already got all the other problems.

We've already got at least one guy at that position who
doesn't rebound
doesn't defend
can't shoot
makes bad decisions
can't create off the dribble
doesn't pass at all
clanks highlight dunks off the rim
gets in trouble with the law
can't stay healthy
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 am
PHX endures almost the worst. The West adds to its talent pool. Nothing new under Sun. Heh.

Would you trade #6, Meth, Jackson and Okobo for Blake Griffin?
I don't see why Detroit would do that. They love Blake.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 am
Indy wrote: I think we all know that unless we were to sign some crazy FA like Durant we are not going to be in the playoffs next year, and hoping to be a bubble team the year after. If that is the case, does this deal make us a better team in two years? I agree that giving up Jackson is meaningless, and Tyler will be gone by then anyway. So the question is, does #6 in this draft and Okobo yield better team results in 3 years, or does getting Blake (and his 3 yrs/110M contract) for the next 3 years?
Adding someone like Darren Collison along with Blake Griffin to a Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Ayton core actually makes us a basketball team. I would do it and hope the training staff could heal the bloke.
Blake is their best player and they love him. In Michigan I hear about it all the time. But even if we found a way to keep all our good players and add Blake and a real PG, which teams in the West do you see us being clearly better than?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't actually believe the Grizz would take Ja to pair/develop with Conley. They could take Barrett or another wing and continue with a core of Conley, #2 pick (not Ja), JJJ and JV. If they're taking Ja, they're going with a rebuild and could look to dump Conley's salary, then wash JV's contract off after next season and start fresh with Ja and JJJ.

If we want to make headway and give this franchise a boost, you make a deal for Conley. He can bring this group together and make the kind of impact we need. A contending-type of impact? Probably not, but just getting him gives us some legitimacy and tells the players we're looking to win again starting this year. It's as much about the franchise's psyche as anything else.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:52 am
I don't actually believe the Grizz would take Ja to pair/develop with Conley. They could take Barrett or another wing and continue with a core of Conley, #2 pick (not Ja), JJJ and JV. If they're taking Ja, they're going with a rebuild and could look to dump Conley's salary, then wash JV's contract off after next season and start fresh with Ja and JJJ.

If we want to make headway and give this franchise a boost, you make a deal for Conley. He can bring this group together and make the kind of impact we need. A contending-type of impact? Probably not, but just getting him gives us some legitimacy and tells the players we're looking to win again starting this year. It's as much about the franchise's psyche as anything else.
Could you imagine a better mentor for Ja than Conley? Ja isn't going to be ready to start right away, but would be fantastic off the bench for Conley. It helps tremendously to have 2 high level pgs on your team, one starting, another off the bench and can possibly play next to each other.

But, you could be right. They easily could just take RJ if they feel like he has higher upside. They do need another guy that can fill it up, drive to the basket and put pressure on the defense, along with him being a pretty good defender.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

The suns aren’t trading for Conley

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:52 am

Could you imagine a better mentor for Ja than Conley? Ja isn't going to be ready to start right away, but would be fantastic off the bench for Conley. It helps tremendously to have 2 high level pgs on your team, one starting, another off the bench and can possibly play next to each other.

But, you could be right. They easily could just take RJ if they feel like he has higher upside. They do need another guy that can fill it up, drive to the basket and put pressure on the defense, along with him being a pretty good defender.
They are at a cross-roads in Memphis. As a really small market team (the 'metro area' is basically like Tucson-sized) and likely not to attract UFAs, they need to decide if they want to completely tear it down or not. I think if they take Ja, they are taking a player at a position they have a top tier position player at already. They might see it as a luxury. How much do they think Kyle Anderson is a key part of their future? And they really don't have any up-and-coming wings. RJ could easily be their preferred pick.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 am
I can't see them giving him up. He is the Grizz.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 am
I can't see them giving him up. He is the Grizz.
They didn’t seem to really want to trade him last year unless they got a huge haul. It makes sense to keep him around for a year with Ja...or if they take RJ, they’d want to keep him. Even if they decide they want to move him, we won’t have any interest. He’s 32, doesn’t make sense for our timeline and James Jones has essentially said that. Not to mention Gambo has been saying we won’t be pursuing him.

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s really intriguing...but definitely a bit of a mystery.

I’d actually expect the bulls would have been the team promising him if any.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I could've promised him he'd be taken in the lottery.

The only reason I have Clarke over him now is because I'd rather have an experienced player at PG than a rookie.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Apparently, he signed with Klutch. I don't think this is a sign that he got a promise from Phoenix.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm
Apparently, he signed with Klutch. I don't think this is a sign that he got a promise from Phoenix.
Ha! Well, I guess it depends how hands off Sarver will be. New FO--might have a different approach with Klutch.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Ha! Well, I guess it depends how hands off Sarver will be. New FO--might have a different approach with Klutch.
This is true. I don't get the feeling that Jones is afraid of the Klutch Boogieman.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
This is true. I don't get the feeling that Jones is afraid of the Klutch Boogieman.
I am. I don’t want any Klutch clients.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Suns have promised Garland, according to one of Gambo’s sources.

EDIT: That is the conclusion that a non-Suns league source has arrived at, not direct knowledge.
Last edited by JeremyG on Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
That's strange. I could never imagine Klutch giving their client bad advice.

Garland is a nice fit with LeBron on the Lakers if that's who's behind this rumor.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

James Jones, LBJ's boy, giving a Klutch client a guarantee in the draft? Shocked.

I honestly don't care about a guarantee if Garland becomes an all-star type PG, but I think it's suspect to give a guarantee to a guy a day after the lottery results without looking at or working out other prospects or entertaining trade offers.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm
I honestly don't care about a guarantee if Garland becomes an all-star type PG, but I think it's suspect to give a guarantee to a guy a day after the lottery results without looking at or working out other prospects or entertaining trade offers.
Which is exactly the type of thing Klutch or a dumb front office would do. Or both.