Game of Thrones Season 8

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by Indy »

Your last comment sums up everything with this season (and most of last). They seem to forget that things only happen when characters react to situations, not because it would be really cool to see. Of course it would be symbolic to see the iron throne melted down into nothing. But then make it make sense. Have Jon stab Dany right in front of the chair so she falls back into it as he lays her down. Then she dies in the throne. You can have Drogon become incensed and burn the thrown with her in it (since she won't burn anyway). He then picks her body up from the molten chair and flies off leaving nothing behind. (And I don't know the logic of why she won't burn, but does that hold true for Jon too since he was a Targy too?)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, and I figured we don't need spoiler tags if we are in a thread about season 8 and the episode has already aired.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought it was a nice touch, even if a little obvious, for her to be standing in front of and touch the throne, yet never sitting on it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 am
I thought it was a nice touch, even if a little obvious, for her to be standing in front of and touch the throne, yet never sitting on it.
Yeah, I guess what I am saying is that the only way she sat on it was in death.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

* Where was the white horse that Arya found out of nowhere at the end of the last episode? What was the point? She found a horse and rode it to safety. I didn’t care what happened to it afterwards.

* No way Gray Worm lets Jon live if he knows what he did. He would not have kept him in prison for weeks on end. I would have thought he would have been executed on the spot. If not then held captive seems like the only other choice.

* Why did Drogon decide to melt the iron throne? It is like he knew what it stood for and was melting it as a warning to others that this game has ended... but he isn't a TV writer... he is a dragon. He is a dragon but, was obviously connected to her mentally somehow and intelligent. It seemed to know what she wanted to do on many occasions without having a conversation with her. When ever she was in trouble the Dragons just showed up. It knew to stand behind her and wait for her order to kill Varys and not kill anybody else. It knew the instant she was killed and immediately came to see what was up. If Daenerys was infatuated with the Iron Throne maybe Drogon knew it. It probably concluded that Jon killed her and seemed very upset and angry and yet didn’t kill Jon. Jon seemed to be expecting it to kill him and yet it took it’s anger out on the Iron Throne as if to say this whole thing was caused by this stupid chair and I am going to burn it down and take my dead mother away from all you asshole humans

* Why would anyone at that gathering besides Samwell think Bran would be a good king? He has literally done nothing for 10 years. He just exists to exist. Talk about failing up. If you asked him if he did nothing for the last ten years he might disagree with you. He was on a quest to become the three eyed raven and went through a lot to make that happen. The three eyed raven contacted him through visions and sent the other worgan and his sister to help make that happen. He is walking breathing history book of humans. He can see anything in the past he wants to. I thought Bran was the perfect choice because he has no personal desires. He isn’t there to enrich himself. He would rule wisely and only make decisions that help the general good of all and have a leg up on everyone else because of his visions. He and Tyrian were the perfect choices. When he was chosen he seemed to expect it because he had already seen it.

* Why would Gray Worm think it was a good idea to let the people their choose a new king/queen, knowing they would decide his fate and that of Tyrion and Jon? He was more loyal to Dany than anyone, and gained the most from her. Gray Worm was a mighty fighter and the leader of the Unsullied but, he had no aspirations of being any sort of King of men. In that department he was a follower not a leader. His queen was gone. Now what does he do? Take it upon himself to rule the world? I don think so. He has no dragon or the desire. His plan was to help Daenerys win the Iron Throne and then sail to Naath with Missandei to live out their lives protecting the people of Naath. Missandei was killed by Cersei which is why he was so angry and wanted to kill everybody in Kings Landing. After his blood lust was quenched in Kings Landing and his queen was killed what was he supposed to do? He is no king or ruler. He probably hates everybody at that point and just wants to GTFO. They didn’t decide his fate. He decided his fate. It makes sense to me that they would gather all the leaders for a summit and let them decide what to do. I thought it was funny when Samwell suggested Democracy by letting the people decide who would rule and they all laughed at the ridiculous suggestion.

Indy

Post by Indy »

* No way Gray Worm lets Jon live if he knows what he did. He would not have kept him in prison for weeks on end. I would have thought he would have been executed on the spot. If not then held captive seems like the only other choice.
Why is he holding him captive? What is his motivation for that and what does he hope to gain? He was literally executing guys in the last scene for promising to fight for Cersei, but the guy who murdered his queen he is going to lock in a room and give him room and board for a few weeks?
* Why would anyone at that gathering besides Samwell think Bran would be a good king? He has literally done nothing for 10 years. He just exists to exist. Talk about failing up. If you asked him if he did nothing for the last ten years he might disagree with you. He was on a quest to become the three eyed raven and went through a lot to make that happen. The three eyed raven contacted him through visions and sent the other worgan and his sister to help make that happen. He is walking breathing history book of humans. He can see anything in the past he wants to. I thought Bran was the perfect choice because he has no personal desires. He isn’t there to enrich himself. He would rule wisely and only make decisions that help the general good of all and have a leg up on everyone else because of his visions. He and Tyrian were the perfect choices. When he was chosen he seemed to expect it because he had already seen it.
You talked a lot about what he is, but not about what he did. "on a quest" isn't an action unless he did something. What did he sacrifice to become King? His super power is: He knows everything--He can see the future, he can see the past, he can see the present. Oh, and he can warg into people and animals to control them and see through their eyes. But he didn't use any of that to save a million people in King's Landing. He just let them die. He could have just warged into Drogon and took Dany off into the great beyond and not murdered anyone. But instead he just sat there. And was "rewarded" with a kingdom.

And if he is a wise ruler and only make decision to help everyone because of his unsurpassed knowledge, why would he need a Hand? Or a cabinet of advisors at all? Is it possible for someone to tell him something he doesn't know?
Jon seemed to be expecting it to kill him and yet it took it’s anger out on the Iron Throne as if to say this whole thing was caused by this stupid chair and I am going to burn it down and take my dead mother away from all you asshole humans
Yeah, that is the writers talking, not the dragon.

I read this great thread a week ago... gave me a lot to think about.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

All I have to say is that it kinda sucks that I'm glad the show has finally ended only because I can no longer be disappointed by lazy plot lines.

I also started reading the first book last week. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:38 am
All I have to say is that it kinda sucks that I'm glad the show has finally ended only because I can no longer be disappointed by lazy plot lines.

I think I'd have a really hard time reading the books because it takes me so long. If I carve out 2 days a week to read an hour at a time, I feel like it will take me a year to finish.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think I'd have a really hard time reading the books because it takes me so long. If I carve out 2 days a week to read an hour at a time, I feel like it will take me a year to finish.
There's no rush, plenty of time to read the current books before the last two are published.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 am
Indy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

There's no rush, plenty of time to read the current books before the last two are published.
Ha--yeah seems like it takes a long time. I was more concerned about trying to follow all of the characters and arcs when I am only getting a snippet each week.