Suns hire Monty Williams to be the 20th Head Coach in franchise history

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns hire Monty Williams to be the 20th Head Coach in franchise history

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 pm
I thought it was a good presser. Had some good questions from the reporters, and at least one bad one (doug franz, of course). I liked how he took personal responsibility for mistakes he has made in his life, and how he has grown from it. It seemed like Jones and Monty were already close. They need to be for a rebuild to be successful.
Cool. What was the bad Franz question?
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Full press conference:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Monty says that Jerry Colangelo was the guy that really pushed him to work for Robert Sarver: http://arizonasports.com/category/podca ... 26+Marotta

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Jeremy! Good ol' Colangelo.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

People wanted Jerry to help turn the team around. He may have just done that, if he helped convince Monty to choose the Suns over the Lakers.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SDC wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 am
ShelC wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:57 am
Remember when McD wanted to draft Bender and W****n wanted Chriss, so we drafted both?

That sounds like what's going on with the Lakers. Apparently Rambis (and Phil) wanted Vogel (Phil was high on him in NY before hiring Hornacek) while others, most likely LeBron/Jeannie and Magic, wanted Kidd. Ramona Shelbourne was also on the radio yesterday (possibly speaking on behalf of the Lakers FO) saying it'd be hard to make Kidd a head coach with his domestic violence history....yet the Lakers signed Lance last year and are just waiting to build a statue for Kobe. So maybe they really wanted Kidd, who supposedly made a good impression before Ty Lue was offered the job, and just need a "frontman" as coach to get around any Kidd criticism. Seems to be working out nicely.

Good times! This is absolutely going to be a disaster for the Lakers.
who wanted chriss?
What a tragedy that was. I was casually following the draft and thought one of those dudes would turn into a player. What a waste. We could have had Hield, Levert, Sabonis, or Brogdon in that draft.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm
SDC wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Remember when McD wanted to draft Bender and W****n wanted Chriss, so we drafted both?

That sounds like what's going on with the Lakers. Apparently Rambis (and Phil) wanted Vogel (Phil was high on him in NY before hiring Hornacek) while others, most likely LeBron/Jeannie and Magic, wanted Kidd. Ramona Shelbourne was also on the radio yesterday (possibly speaking on behalf of the Lakers FO) saying it'd be hard to make Kidd a head coach with his domestic violence history....yet the Lakers signed Lance last year and are just waiting to build a statue for Kobe. So maybe they really wanted Kidd, who supposedly made a good impression before Ty Lue was offered the job, and just need a "frontman" as coach to get around any Kidd criticism. Seems to be working out nicely.

who wanted chriss?
What a tragedy that was. I was casually following the draft and thought one of those dudes would turn into a player. What a waste. We could have had Hield, Levert, Sabonis, or Brogdon in that draft.
I think Watson wanted Chriss. Not only could we have had one of those you listed but we could have kept Bogdan. He could have made a nice back up to Booker.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Drewsprocket wrote:
SDC wrote:
ShelC wrote:

who wanted chriss?
Or? How about AND? Easily could have had 3 of those guys together. Were the Suns that bad at identifying talent and/or that bad at developing the talent?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:05 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
SDC wrote:
ShelC wrote:

who wanted chriss?
Or? How about AND? Easily could have had 3 of those guys together. Were the Suns that bad at identifying talent and/or that bad at developing the talent?
Yes

Split T

Post by Split T »

We obviously missed, but we were pretty widely lauded for that draft. Chriss was always a risk, everyone agreed, but a lot of analysts thought he had the most potential after Simmons/Ingram.

I didn’t want Bender, but I did want Chriss(although I did have Hield ahead of him)

It’s easy to pick it apart in hindsight, but our picks were always risky. We took two big swings and whiffed hard. I do wonder how Chriss and Bender would have done in a different organization. In hindsight, maybe the biggest mistake was taking two major developmental projects with our pretty inept developmental skills.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:05 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
SDC wrote:
ShelC wrote:

who wanted chriss?
Yes
Truth. Still, true.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wow, it really was Jerry Colangelo, on both sides, behind the scenes bringing this together and making this deal happen for the Suns! Here’s Colangelo on Burns and Gambo today: https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/jerry ... suns-owner

Now can Jerry get a meeting with Kevin Durant please? :lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think I wasn't alone in being pissed off when Igor was fired because it seemed like the organization was just blindly digging themselves into a bigger hole. I was also not initially encouraged by the idea of Monty Williams being hired. I didn't really see any tangible way he would be much better than Igor, but I underestimated Monty's standing around the league. I changed my mind after I looked deeper into the things Monty should bring to the organization and after some things from the players regarding Igor leaked out into the media.

Now this revelation regarding Jerry Colangelo has me more optimistic than I've been in a very long time. If we're hearing things correctly, Sarver has loosened the reigns a bit and understands the value someone like Colangelo can bring to the organization in an unofficial capacity. Hopefully, that means his days of needlessly meddling are finished. He really needs to keep his nose out of the coaching and player management office and let his employees do their job.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 pm
I thought it was a good presser. Had some good questions from the reporters, and at least one bad one (doug franz, of course). I liked how he took personal responsibility for mistakes he has made in his life, and how he has grown from it. It seemed like Jones and Monty were already close. They need to be for a rebuild to be successful.
Cool. What was the bad Franz question?
So, finally watched the full press conference so I can answer my question myself. He asked about Josh Jackson's offcourt issues but I loved how Coach Williams handled it and said they don't like to talk about offcourt issues publicly and that there is too much of that in the NBA and that he will work with Jackson on a personal level.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm excited that if Jones, Bower, and Bukstein can build a decent team around Devin and Deandre that Williams start to build us into a contender and finally give Booker a taste of success. Here's to exciting times ahead. (and 35+ wins next season!)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 pm
Now this revelation regarding Jerry Colangelo has me more optimistic than I've been in a very long time. If we're hearing things correctly, Sarver has loosened the reigns a bit and understands the value someone like Colangelo can bring to the organization in an unofficial capacity. Hopefully, that means his days of needlessly meddling are finished. He really needs to keep his nose out of the coaching and player management office and let his employees do their job.
I'm afraid I'll only believe it when (if) I see it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good stuff here:

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This team is always 2 years away from being 2 years away.