Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Be interesting to see who we bring in.
A computer and a YouTube account for sure
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am
How would you feel if the Suns signed Collison and Thad Young, drafting Clarke and bringing back Holmes, Oubre and Bender, and not finding takers for Johnson, Jackson and Warren?
Collison I'll take. Clarke, I haven't done my deep-ish dive on draft prospects yet, but I'm interested. Not very excited about Thaddeus Young. As for not finding takers, I have to think we'll find a trade destination for at least one of the guys you listed. Most likely Warren plus other assets I'd wager.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am
How would you feel if the Suns signed Collison and Thad Young, drafting Clarke and bringing back Holmes, Oubre and Bender, and not finding takers for Johnson, Jackson and Warren?
Collison I'll take. Clarke, I haven't done my deep-ish dive on draft prospects yet, but I'm interested. Not very excited about Thaddeus Young. As for not finding takers, I have to think we'll find a trade destination for at least one of the guys you listed. Most likely Warren plus other assets I'd wager.
I’d rather go for Collison and Randle.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't see Randle and Ayton together. Thad Young doesn't seem like a great fit either.

I say stretch Meth, dump Jackson. Keep #6, Oubre cap hold. That gives you $28M to go after Dedmon and Collison.

You end up with Collison-Booker-Bridges-Dedmon-Ayton, plus a bench with Okobo/Melton, Oubre, Warren, #6. Also have the Room Exception ($4.5M). Would welcome back Bender, Holmes, Daniels and Crawford on min contracts.

carey

Post by carey »

Desmond as PF? I would rather keep Bender in that case.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:34 am
I agree. Bender would be great to keep if he'll stay on a near-minimum contract.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These free agency discussions are a sobering reminder that it takes a long time to build a good team. There just aren't a ton of great players available this offseason who would be game-changers for us. And those who might be, might not want to come play here. And we don't have infinite cap space. Etc.

If our big offseason haul is Darren Collison or Dedmon, I mean, great, but that isn't a playoff team. It's a long trek back toward being even mediocre in this league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 am
These free agency discussions are a sobering reminder that it takes a long time to build a good team. There just aren't a ton of great players available this offseason who would be game-changers for us. And those who might be, might not want to come play here. And we don't have infinite cap space. Etc.

If our big offseason haul is Darren Collison or Dedmon, I mean, great, but that isn't a playoff team. It's a long trek back toward being even mediocre in this league.
There are a ton of great players available this summer in FA and/or trade. The 3 problems the Suns have are 1. It would take more than 1 to make a huge difference. 2. The Suns don't have money free and clear to make a run at 1 let alone 2 bigtime FAs. 3. They are so young and aren't in position to attrack the top tier FAs this year.

It might be that they build this year and next with good value vets and smart picks and be ready in 2021 to be major players both money-wise and competitive-wise in FA. As much as I would love to be the destination for Kyrie or KD this summer, Taking the right steps forward and improving from within seems more prudent.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

There are a ton of great players available this summer in FA and/or trade. The 3 problems the Suns have are 1. It would take more than 1 to make a huge difference. 2. The Suns don't have money free and clear to make a run at 1 let alone 2 bigtime FAs. 3. They are so young and aren't in position to attrack the top tier FAs this year.

It might be that they build this year and next with good value vets and smart picks and be ready in 2021 to be major players both money-wise and competitive-wise in FA. As much as I would love to be the destination for Kyrie or KD this summer, Taking the right steps forward and improving from within seems more prudent.
Agree for the most part...We won’t get KD or Kawhi, but adding them would make a huge difference without any other additions.

Think your 2nd paragraph is the smart thing to do. Look at the west, we’re not breaking through to the playoffs in 1 year.

GS - Still elite even without KD
Denver - up and coming team, can bring it all back
Portland - Can bring it all back
Houston - Harden
Utah - Core intact and they have near max cap space
OKC - Westbrook/George/Adams gets them 45 wins
Spurs - Been waiting 10 years for them to drop off
Clippers - They will add a star, even if it’s not Kawhi
Kings - Bring it all back
Wolves - meh
Lakers - They’ll do something, plus they still have Lebron
Pelicans - what happens with AD
Mavs - Doncic/Porzingis plus max cap space
Grizzlies - rebuilding
Suns - Who can we realistically pass? There is no obvious drop out of the playoff candidates, plus 2 teams with big jump potential(Lakers + Mavs) and 2 other teams just ahead of us in the rebuild(Kings + Wolves). Pelicans are a big question mark. Grizzlies seem like a good bet to be pretty bad...

Hard to make predictions before summer as tons will change. The west is just loaded and outside of a couple teams, everyone should be trying to get better or staying roughly the same.

A patient build is what we should be doing. I’ll take 35 wins next year, then 40+ and fighting for the 8th seed the year after. 2021 is the year we absolutely need to be a playoff team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to become as competitive as possible next year, because they should. I think the record this past year was mainly due to having such an imbalanced roster with a heavy note of being super super young and inexperienced. I think they can greatly improve if they address PG and PF some short term solution vets and 1 long term solution. This could bump them up to nearly 40 wins, imo. I just don't think putting everything in on Durant or Kawhi addresses all the needs on this team by themselves. They do need another player that can create for themselves and be another playmaker on the floor.

Say the Suns pick a long term solution fit next to Ayton at PF in the draft, and fill in a vet in front of him while he learns. Then next year finds that long term solution at PG in the draft, by 2021 they should be built to compete for FAs and on the court every night. Ayton, Bridges will have had 3 years, the PF would have had 2 years, the PG would have had a yr and we already know Oubre and Booker are good to go right now. On top of that they could have about $50 mil in cap space. Every position is set, they should be fun and a pain in the @$$ for every team, every night.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

This should be the plan. We're not turning it around in one year. I just want to see steady improvement.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

The way I see it:

We need 7-8 guys that you can count on to play in a playoff game. I’d narrow that down to 2-3 guards, 2-3 wings, and 2 bigs. There is obviously some cross positioning stuff, but that’s a general idea.

Right now I’d say we have 1 guard(Booker) 2 wings(Oubre and Bridges) and 1 big(Ayton)

So we’re 4 guys short. Warren would probably count, but he’s 99% gone and he’d just be hurt anyways, so I’m not counting him.

We need to add 2 guards, 1 wing, and 1 big to our future playoff rotation. That doesn’t need to happen all this offseason, but it’d be nice to get 1 or 2 of those guys.

Perfect world is where we land guys that can be in our future playoff rotation that are also playoff rotation worthy right now.

So take pg for instance...perfect world scenarios would be guys like Brogdon, Jrue Holiday, Spencer Dinwiddie. Those are not likely though.

Guys like Conley, Lowry, CP3, Collison, etc. will help us now, but are not answers for the future. We’d still need to find a pg for the future.

So what I’m looking for this offseason is to raise the future level of the team by adding guys to our 4 future playoff rotation guys. Next, I want to see us improve the present level of the team, without sacrificing the future level of the team.

#6 pick absolutely needs to be the 5th guy
I wouldn’t say the same about pick 32, but I do think there will be guys available there that can be future rotation guys in the playoffs.

Trades and free agency should focus first on guys that are present and future rotation guys, but I’m fine if we make short term commitments to guys that just benefit the present.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

When you look at the West for next year, it is just staggering. About 13-14 of the teams have a legitimate claim that they are playoff teams. It's so hard to break through. I wish the talent in the league had not so deeply concentrated itself in the West. It makes it really hard for anyone else to climb the ladder. Meanwhile the East has 3-4 very good teams and a bunch of bantha fodder.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Why? Dedmon is a legitimate NBA player. Bender is TBD (and that's being optimistic).
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
There just aren't a ton of great players available this offseason who would be game-changers for us.
I don't think the Suns need to land great players in free agency. They need to get a few, reliable veterans that address the most glaring team needs.
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I mean, great, but that isn't a playoff team.
No one is turning this team into playoff team in one offseason. The Lakers added LeBron James and that still didn't get them to the postseason. The Suns need to surround Ayton and Booker that allows them to grow into superstars and that allows the team to function and compete. Booker has to reduce his turnovers and become money from 3. Ayton has to learn how to have a freaking impact on the game.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
There just aren't a ton of great players available this offseason who would be game-changers for us.
I don't think the Suns need to land great players in free agency. They need to get a few, reliable veterans that address the most glaring team needs.
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
No one is turning this team into playoff team in one offseason. The Lakers added LeBron James and that still didn't get them to the postseason. The Suns need to surround Ayton and Booker that allows them to grow into superstars and that allows the team to function and compete. Booker has to reduce his turnovers and become money from 3. Ayton has to learn how to have a freaking impact on the game.
Conley.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Conley.
But the Timeline!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If the Suns go after Chris Paul I'm going to barf. That would be a disaster.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 pm
carey wrote:
Why? Dedmon is a legitimate NBA player. Bender is TBD (and that's being optimistic).
Let's give Bender another 4 or 5 seasons and see if there's any progress. Patience. He's only been in the league 3 seasons and is 21.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am
If the Suns go after Chris Paul I'm going to barf. That would be a disaster.
Yeah, that's cap suicide where you just hope that everyone else keeps improving for your team to improve, because there is no way that anyone else takes that contract and he feels like he's about to fall off the shelf.