Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We need to keep Bridges, period. He is too important. Has the potential to be something else on defense, plus a nice 3pt shooter with a long shot at some scoring off the dribble.

If Warren + #6 + flyer on Jackson + another (non premium) draft asset can't get us Jrue, so be it. Look elsewhere.

Anyways, I don't think it's true either.

Really, I can't see why wouldn't MEM be interested in the aforementioned package. And I don't agree with Jones if he wouldn't look at him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ashley already threw the Suns under the bus and said they’re lying. So I guess we’re signing DLo. Lol.

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would absolutely give up Bridges as the principal piece of value for Jrue Holiday. Holiday is very good. You have to give up something to get something.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

As someone said in the replies, that’s the whole point of a point guard! Why does Gambo keep saying the Suns don’t want “X point guard” because he needs the ball in his hands?? Duh, that’s what a point guard does. Steve Nash was “ball dominant.” What’s wrong with that? It isn’t working with CP3 in Houston because of the way Harden likes to play, but Booker is not Harden.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am
Uhhh, yes please

That’s what I’m talking about! I hope we all have a great Holiday season!
Welp, there goes my prediction. Is this guy for real? A broadcaster in ATL? He might have connects to the Hawks who have been trying to move up and gave him some info, but everything coming out of NOLA is that Holiday is a guy they're keeping. The Knicks scheduled a last minute workout with Garland which led some to speculate Barrett may not be there when they pick.
Wouldn’t the Knicks take Morant over Garland?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, the Suns need a PG that can relieve Booker. That's done by being able to create for themselves and others, and allows Booker to play off the ball for a lot of the time, since he does a great job coming off screens, cutting backdoor, and drawing the defense away.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am
Uhhh, yes please

That’s what I’m talking about! I hope we all have a great Holiday season!
Welp, there goes my prediction. Is this guy for real? A broadcaster in ATL? He might have connects to the Hawks who have been trying to move up and gave him some info, but everything coming out of NOLA is that Holiday is a guy they're keeping. The Knicks scheduled a last minute workout with Garland which led some to speculate Barrett may not be there when they pick.
Wouldn’t the Knicks take Morant over Garland?
Probably, but they've been looking at a lot of guys regardless.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Jones lets us know not to expect much over the next few weeks from a trade standpoint:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 490750001/

"For us, the moves we have to make have to improve our team," Jones said. "They can’t set us back. To make a move for the sake to make a move is ridiculous. We’ll try to make moves. We’ll try to be aggressive. We will try to maximize the growth of this team, but we’re not going to compromise it."

Sounds an awful lot like there may be minimal roster turnover this offseason in Jones eyes. His notes on what the suns are looking for in the draft do sound an awful lot like white.
Last edited by jonh on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
I think with the number of attainable, reliable PGs out there, Bridges, Warren, and #6 is an overpay for Jrue at this point. If he was somehow the final piece that would put us in discussion for a championship, sure, but I don't think we're at that point.
Bridges isn’t going anywhere. They love that dude. Ideally I want to hold onto #6 as well to be used with the inevitable trade deadline deal of TyJo. I think the player we select will be combined with Tyler, the Bucks pick, and maybe a future first for a significant player.
I believe this as well. NO could've demanded Bridges and the Suns backed out, which is probably why we're hearing about this trade rumor now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:31 pm
My head says that Bridges, Warren and #6 for Jrue is fair, but my heart says that it's a bad idea.

If only Josh Jackson had a sliver of value.
I think with the number of attainable, reliable PGs out there, Bridges, Warren, and #6 is an overpay for Jrue at this point. If he was somehow the final piece that would put us in discussion for a championship, sure, but I don't think we're at that point.
This is where I am, too. If he were a final piece, sure you trade away a good player on a good contract, a good prospect on a rookie deal, and two first round picks. But for a 19 win team, it seems dumb.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

In2ition wrote:
Yeah, the Suns need a PG that can relieve Booker. That's done by being able to create for themselves and others, and allows Booker to play off the ball for a lot of the time, since he does a great job coming off screens, cutting backdoor, and drawing the defense away.
Booker should not be used as a bloody point guard!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

jonh wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm
Jones lets us know not to expect much over the next few weeks from a trade standpoint:

"For us, the moves we have to make have to improve our team," Jones said. "They can’t set us back. To make a move for the sake to make a move is ridiculous. We’ll try to make moves. We’ll try to be aggressive. We will try to maximize the growth of this team, but we’re not going to compromise it."

Sounds an awful lot like there may be minimal roster turnover this offseason in Jones eyes. His notes on what the suns are looking for in the draft do sound an awful lot like white.
”Has great positional size.” And yet Gambo is saying they might draft Hunter as a PF lol!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
If by PG you mean the guy that brings the ball up nearly every play and gets guys into their sets, then yeah. But if you mean a guy that plays as primary initiator of the offense for big stretches of the game, he is good at that. He just can't be paired a d-league back court mate and have no shooting/bail out guys around him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm
jonh wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm

”Has great positional size.” And yet Gambo is saying they might draft Hunter as a PF lol!
6’8 225 7’2 wingspan...he can defend 1-4. He’s not undersized for the 4. He may not specifically have great positional size for the 4, but then call him a 3 who can defend the 4.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
In2ition wrote:
If by PG you mean the guy that brings the ball up nearly every play and gets guys into their sets, then yeah. But if you mean a guy that plays as primary initiator of the offense for big stretches of the game, he is good at that. He just can't be paired a d-league back court mate and have no shooting/bail out guys around him.
This is why I hate positions. Booker is going to spend a lot of time with the ball in his hands. And that’s a good thing. He does need another ball handler that can run the offense and can defend your traditional pg on the other team. Whether that’s a pg like Conley, a combo guard like Jrue, a point forward like Draymond or a point center like Jokic, doesn’t really matter. Well, at least not offensively...you still wouldn’t want booker defending guys like lillard or Curry.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

DeAndre Hunter feels like a guy the Hawks always draft and have on their roster. DeMarre Carroll or Taurean Prince...he looks like a nice player but I wouldn't trust him entirely at the 4.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Were Prince and Carroll as big as Hunter?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Bloody point guard:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ah, the good ol' days. The Suns were pretty darn good and I just crossed over into my 30s.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:33 pm
Were Prince and Carroll as big as Hunter?
Close...

Both were just under 6’8 with shoes. 220 for Prince with a 6’11 wingspan. 207 for Carroll with a 6’10 wingspan. So Hunter is a touch longer and maybe a bit stronger as a rookie.