Suns hire Monty Williams to be the 20th Head Coach in franchise history

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns hire Monty Williams to be the 20th Head Coach in franchise history

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:23 am
Pretty much what Indy said. Also, it's widely known already but Monty is very religious. He talks about how his youth basketball coach was the first person to bring him to coach and the role that has taken in his life. Expect the locker room to find a little Jesus this year.
I think you meant church.
I did. Thank you.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
No--You can pick up a couple quotes and get a complete understanding of the interview.
Pretty much what Indy said. Also, it's widely known already but Monty is very religious. He talks about how his youth basketball coach was the first person to bring him to coach and the role that has taken in his life. Expect the locker room to find a little Jesus this year.
Listen for yourselves and make your own decisions because I disagree with both of them. (Although I am a little older and wiser.)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 am
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
I think you meant church.
I did. Thank you.
I think it'll be the full size Jesus.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 am
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
No--You can pick up a couple quotes and get a complete understanding of the interview.
Listen for yourselves and make your own decisions because I disagree with both of them. (Although I am a little older and wiser.)
older for sure :P

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I listened to the podcast, it’s worth a listen. Woj kept bringing up the death of Monty’s wife probably at least 5 times throughout the pod even though Monty said at one point that he is in some ways dealing with the grief from it. Woj said one time “and then an unspeakable tragedy occurred” and I thought, and yet you keep speaking about it.
The pod just reminded me of what a amateur earl Watson was. Monty was talking about how you cannot refer to teams as family because you dont trade family but you can still build bonds with players in spite of that. Seemed like a guy that was willing to reflect and learn to improve as a coach. Didn’t talk that much X and Os so still not sure what to see there. You feel like you want him to succeed. I felt that way about hornacek but not that strongly about the other coaches since

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:23 am
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
older for sure :P
Why you, I oughta...
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 pm
https://hoopshype.com/2018/08/29/this-c ... ers-train/
thanks carey

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Nurse is an interesting one.
I have listened to him on a few podcasts since I wanted to hear his thoughts on improving shooting - since that was the only half decent thing I could do on a basketball court.
I can see why Monty could want him as he talked about trying to connect with players beyond just being a skills coach.
I followed him on Instagram for a while. Two things I learnt:
He is very Christian
He has a hot wife.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Rockets let go of Irv Roland and Jeff Bzdelik, 2 very well respected names in the NBA. I wonder if we'd have interest.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

One of the things Williams said on the Woj pod was that one of the hard things he had to do was to tell a few people “no” that were interested in being his assistants. It sounded like he was pretty far along as far as putting his staff together.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Danimal wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:17 pm
I have listened to him on a few podcasts since I wanted to hear his thoughts on improving shooting - since that was the only half decent thing I could do on a basketball court.
I can see why Monty could want him as he talked about trying to connect with players beyond just being a skills coach.
He is very Christian
He has a hot wife.
Huh, interesting. I would have thought that having your feet set and following through would be more important. But I'll try the Christian and hot wife thing and see if my percentages go up.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 pm
Danimal wrote:
He is very Christian
He has a hot wife.
Huh, interesting. I would have thought that having your feet set and following through would be more important. But I'll try the Christian and hot wife thing and see if my percentages go up.
Oh I’m sure he follows through :P

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 pm
Danimal wrote:
He is very Christian
He has a hot wife.
Maybe we need a link in the sidebar to take us straight to Christian Mingle?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I will like to believe our young roster will speak similarly and buy in with Coach but hey still good to hear players appreciating how the Suns did things even if it's just mainly potential 2nd round guys

https://www.nba.com/amp/suns/features/d ... ion=trueff
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:08 am
I will like to believe our young roster will speak similarly and buy in with Coach but hey still good to hear players appreciating how the Suns did things even if it's just mainly potential 2nd round guys

ETA: https://www.nba.com/amp/suns/features/d ... s-approach
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://arizonasports.com/story/1989761 ... ing-staff/
The first-year Suns coach confirmed on The Outlet podcast with Lindsey Smith that his assistants include recent NBA players Willie Green, Steve Blake and Mark Bryant, plus former Oklahoma City assistant Darko Rajakovic, former Brooklyn scout Randy Ayers and former Arizona State assistant Larry Greer.

Among other notable additions to the Suns are Gonzaga coordinator of basketball analytics and video operations Riccardo Fois, who is the team’s new player development coach. He is joined by Ben Strong, who was on the player development staff in Philadelphia last season.

Phoenix named Ryan Frazier, a former video/player development assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, as the head video coordinator.

Additionally, according to the team’s staff directory, it appears former Memphis Grizzlies (2018-19) and Minnesota Timberwolves (2010-18) trainer David Crewe has replaced longtime predecessor Aaron Nelson as the team’s head athletic trainer.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:51 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:08 am

ETA: https://www.nba.com/amp/suns/features/d ... s-approach
So, Charlie Brown has finally given up on
and
and is giving basketball a try. I’m sure this will work out great.