Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns sign Frank Kaminsky

Post by AmareIsGod »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm
Why didnt they just keep Richaun Holmes?
Because Holmes doesn't stretch the floor. One can shoot 3's the other cannot. It's really not that difficult to compare the two in how different they are.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm
This is dumb. I’d rather keep Bender for a whole lot less.
I'm sure Frank the Tank is a lot more aggressive than Bender. How can he not be?
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:03 pm
My other question is, was anybody else bidding for Kaminsky? Could we have gotten him for less?
Who knows but $5 a season for what he provides as a backup isn't a bad deal. I'm sure the Suns weren't communicating with 30 teams on the offers they were making him.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:00 pm
LOL

True dat. He's always got a dumb look on his face.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

da_suns_fan wrote:
They probably want to be able to stretch the floor.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Because Holmes doesn't stretch the floor. One can shoot 3's the other cannot. It's really not that difficult to compare the two in how different they are.
What AIG said.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:03 pm
My other question is, was anybody else bidding for Kaminsky? Could we have gotten him for less?
These 2 questions are getting really old. Can’t we just base a signing on what it is and not what may or may not have been able to happen? We have no idea who else was in the market for him or Rubio. And we may never know.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:13 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
They probably want to be able to stretch the floor.
What Bone said.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Agree with it or not, the plan by GM James Jones is clear. We sucked at shooting last season, so he's restocking the roster with guys who can hit 3s and spread the floor. We had too many young rooks who weren't ready to play, so he gets two of the older more mature players in the draft (who can also both shoot 3s). We had horrible ball movement and a stagnant offense, so he grabs a starting PG who can set up all of those shooters.

I don't know whether it will work. But at least it's a plan, and it's based around an actual consistent basketball strategy and not just asset management or perceived individual player value.
This sums it up. +1

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Dragan Bender is terrible and doesn’t belong in the NBA.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Frank is a smart player and was coached well by Bo Ryan at Wisconsin. His offense and shooting have been trending upward but he’s Ryan Anderson on defense.

I guess he fits the BBIQ and shooting mold Jones is going after so whatever.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Kaminsky is sort of Leuer 2.0. He'll help stretch the floor.

I liked Holmes' attitude, but he was brutal on offense.
He has a great work rate, but very limited skills.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Bender were a reliable shooter, I'd have no problem bringing him back. But he didn't bring anything on either end while he was out there. He played smaller than 7-1 and didn't impact the game.

I actually came across Frank's name on a FA list and thought he might be a target for us. I would've preferred more defense, athleticism, shotblocking but like Marty said we're stocking up on shooters and mature guys/pros pros. We'll see how Frank does. Felt like the Hornets loved big white guys and ended up stifling a lot of them. Frank played on teams with Spencer Hawes, Cody Zeller, Tyler Hansbrough, Miles Plumlee, and Willy Hernangomez over like 3 seasons, plus guys like Biyombo, Howard, Hibbert. Not a rebounder or shotblocker so he better be a knockdown shooter.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Also Meh. We’re going to miss Holmes. Kaminsky is a poor mans Saric. Don’t know why we needed both. We need some toughness and rebounding. Was hoping we’d go after someone like faried or cauley-Stein. Or we should’ve just kept Holmes.
Typically bench players that play less minutes are a poor man's version of their starting equivalent position.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Where's Alan Williams at these days? Is he still on a two-way contract for Brooklyn?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Has anybody here seen more of Kaminsky lately? How is he on defense? He's a minus defender overall, right? And he's a bit slow and unathletic, right? How is his shooting? His numbers are a bit "meh" but I don't know how he looks to the eye test.
His defense is actually slightly on the positive side of DRPM last year (but it was bad the year before that). No one will mistake him for Gobert, but he won't kill you like Anderson did.

I kind of like this signing. Think cheaper Channing Frye. I like the fact that his offensive efficiency has gone up every year since he came into the league. His total RPM rating has been pretty solidly between 25 and 30 among PFs the past 3 years.

Solid signing. I see him getting 25 MPG at PF and C. Not a rebounder, but he's got a good 3 point stroke.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

After holding back the initial wave of vomit that built up in my gut, I've come around to accepting that this isn't as terrible as I thought.

He's a competent 10th man, and I can't say that about Bender.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:54 pm
Solid signing. I see him getting 25 MPG at PF and C. Not a rebounder, but he's got a good 3 point stroke.
I think we're in serious trouble if he's averaging 25 MPG.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.