Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:55 pm
Clippers gave up our Miami pick in the trade!
That pick got us Bridges, Philly Tobias, and now LA Paul George. Of course more and more assets had to be included as it went down the line.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m curious what happens with Westbrook now...they gotta trade him, right?

Would Detroit or Miami be interested?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
That pick got us Bridges, Philly Tobias, and now LA Paul George. Of course more and more assets had to be included as it went down the line.
When McD traded it, we should have taken bets on how many times it would get traded. :lol:

Who knows where it will end up! Maybe Miami? Lol.

It’s still crazy to me that the LA pick in the Nash trade ended up being Bridges.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
When McD traded it, we should have taken bets on how many times it would get traded. :lol:

Who knows where it will end up! Maybe Miami? Lol.
I’d guess thunder keep it, be hilarious if they traded it back to Miami to dump Westbrook and Steven Adams

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Lakers just used almost 8 million on KCP. They are officially out of the running for Oubre!

I believe we are the only team that can sign him now unless he demands a sign-and-trade to a team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 am
Lakers just used almost 8 million on KCP. They are officially out of the running for Oubre!

I believe we are the only team that can sign him now unless he demands a sign-and-trade to a team.
Mavs still have 22 million in space.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, this Paul George / Kawhi news. I don't totally get it. Why did he want to go there? Is that Clips team a contender now? Is it desirable to play for the Clippers? And I don't understand the basketball fit. Both Kawhi and Paul George are swingmen who would play the 3. They both play well with the ball in their hands. I guess it's kind of a Lebron/Wade pairing, but at least Wade was more of a scoring SG and Lebron was more of a passing/defending forward.

OKC got a ridiculous haul for George. You make that trade 10 times out of 10 if you're the Thunder. Has there ever been a trade with so many draft picks given out by one team? I'm shocked. They will have enough assets to do almost any deal or trade for almost any player they want for years to come. Great great job by them.

Poor Toronto. :-( They gave up a guy who was a true blue Raptor to get a one-season title run. And now the star of that run is gone. The East just got even weaker with guys like Kawhi and Butler moving west. Teams like the Bucks and 76ers must be overjoyed.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:37 pm
Clippers still have Beverley, Shamet, Lou Williams, montrezl Harrell, and they got mo Harkless. They also still have Zubac’s bird rights I believe
Shamet is lowkey really nice. Now, given the amoung of picks LAC sent out, I wonder if giving up SGA is too much. I would have fought to death to keep him. Anyway, they have terrific lineup flexibility. Only thing they need is big man depth.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:40 am
OKC got a ridiculous haul for George. You make that trade 10 times out of 10 if you're the Thunder. Has there ever been a trade with so many draft picks given out by one team? I'm shocked. They will have enough assets to do almost any deal or trade for almost any player they want for years to come. Great great job by them.
I think Woj said it's a record number of draft picks. And to think that one year ago OKC was sweating it out, worried that they were going to lose Paul George for nothing.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Poor Toronto. Home is home I guess but Kawhi had the chance to dominate the East like LeBron did. He had nothing to lose if he stayed in TOR too; I am absolutely sure that if one more season there he requested a trade to LAC or even LAL after, the Raps would have granted his wish in appreciation for what he did. At least it's not the Lakers.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Can’t feel too bad for Toronto. I’m sure they’re glad to have a championship. I would be.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 am

Never mind, I forgot they can go over the cap for KCP.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Well that’s fun
This was my first thought. The Pacific Division is unfair.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:05 am
Can’t feel too bad for Toronto. I’m sure they’re glad to have a championship. I would be.
Yeah, but looks like a bittersweet taste. Kawhi could have been a folk hero there and chose to just walk, leaving the franchise in deep trouble to remain seriously competitive.

SDC

Post by SDC »

lakers gonna fill their remaning spots with big3 players.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

That's a huge haul for one player. But five #1's plus Gallinari and Gilgeous-Alexander? That's better than Milwaukee did when they traded Kareem to the Lakers (David Meyers, Junior Bridgeman, Elmore Smith, Brian Winters).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:40 am
Wow, this Paul George / Kawhi news. I don't totally get it. Why did he want to go there? Is that Clips team a contender now? Is it desirable to play for the Clippers? And I don't understand the basketball fit. Both Kawhi and Paul George are swingmen who would play the 3. They both play well with the ball in their hands. I guess it's kind of a Lebron/Wade pairing, but at least Wade was more of a scoring SG and Lebron was more of a passing/defending forward.
I think the fit is pretty great. You’ve got perhaps the 2 best wing defenders in the nba, both capable of defending 1-4, so it doesn’t matter that they’re both technically SF. Play one at the 4 or at the 2. And Paul George is one of the best players in the nba playing off the ball. He was fantastic last year playing off Westbrook, Kawhi can play off the ball too. I don’t see any issues with the fit and think this is an early title favorite to me.

carey

Post by carey »

This is funny. The Suns stuff in here cracked me up.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, good stuff!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OKC had the Clippers over a barrel. They had to land PG to get KL. Gave up the farm. Good for OKC.
"Be Legendary."