2019 Phoenix Suns Summer League

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2019 Phoenix Suns Summer League

Post by Superbone »

Let's see how he's progressed in summer league.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Don't get attached to Okobo. I think he'll be gone the moment he shows anything positive.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Good article on Jerome. Don’t know what impact he’ll ultimately have on wins and losses, but he should at least run a much more watchable offense than we saw most of the time last season.

carey

2019 Phoenix Suns Summer League

Post by carey »

Johnson and Jerome will not be participating in Summer League. Team decision according to Kellan.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

LMFAO. It's really hard to root for this team and the way things are being done. Arguably reach for two guys in the draft and then hold them out of summer league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't have an issue with it. Jones is right; they haven't been with the team. No point in just throwing them out there.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:47 pm
LMFAO. It's really hard to root for this team and the way things are being done. Arguably reach for two guys in the draft and then hold them out of summer league.
I think this is more on the league for having the league year start in the middle of summer league. They still should play because these games are meaningless.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, that sucks. Took a big bite out of my summer league enjoyment.

Sure glad I didn’t drive up there this year! I would have been pissed.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Can’t they throw the fans a freaking bone? This team hasn’t played in 3 months.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What possible benefit is there of holding these guys out of SL?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Apparently, there will be a press conference with Jones and the two new rookies before the game tomorrow.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2002627 ... er-league/
Jerome, Johnson and undrafted free agent signing Jalen Lecque will speak to the media as members of the Suns for the first time on Sunday prior to the game against the Knicks. Jones will also answer questions for the first time about the Suns’ moves this offseason.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some Lecque highlights/lowlights:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I hope Lecque spends most of his time in the G-League this season. It doesn't sense to have him on the end of the bench when he simply needs reps more than anything else. He's locked up for a long time, so there shouldn't be a rush to evaluate him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 am
I hope Lecque spends most of his time in the G-League this season. It doesn't sense to have him on the end of the bench when he simply needs reps more than anything else. He's locked up for a long time, so there shouldn't be a rush to evaluate him.
Agreed. Let him get used to being a professional and let him develop his game before you throw him to the wolves.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I'd give him all the PT he can handle in the GLeague.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Welp, Summer League was kind of underwhelming without our draft picks but Lecque was a bright spot for sure. The numbers aren't eye popping but his play was very encouraging on both ends. Didn't look like a 19 year old, didn't seem overwhelmed at all and looked more comfortable as the week went on. Didn't get a ton of opportunities on the ball but his athleticism was top notch, seemed to be make good decisions when he was handling the ball and showed some nice things defensively. I was skeptical with him skipping college and not playing for a year and had visions of Archie but he looks like the complete opposite. We very well may have a diamond in the rough, so long as we develop him properly.

Elie looked better over the past two games. His 3 off the dribble was working but he doesn't stand out much as a distributor.

Harper's not unlike Ulis in that he's more of the "floor general" type. He's a point guard and can run offense but his size hurts him a lot. He looks smaller than his listed 5-11. Still, I think he could make it to training camp.

Spalding had some good moments and caught some nice lobs. His individual offense is a trainwreck tho.

James Palmer saw the most minutes on the team and got better as the week went on I thought. He looks the part physically (reminded me of Matt Barnes) but his offense is shaky.

Nnoko saw minutes early in the week and then gave way to Spalding. Good size and also looks the part but doesn't do anything really well.

That's about it. I was surprised we had so many guards on the roster in Elie, Lecque, Harper, Rice, Obasahan, Kramer and not as many PFs/Cs to get a look at.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What about coaching and execution? I came away pretty impressed. The team seemed to handle defensive switches very well. It was one of our better coached SL teams IMHO. Not bad for this rag-tag group to go 3-1 against some NBA competition (China withstanding).
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I thought we we ran some pretty good sets to get guys open. Lecque was getting open off the ball, Kramer had some good looks off set plays when he got time against the Spurs. Felt like we made adjustments during halftime of games and came out stronger in 3rd qtrs.

Defense was pretty solid, especially on the perimeter. I was thinking this morning how many good defensive guards we had on the team. Obasahan really stood out to me there but he didn't get a lot of time. They were kinda rag-tag and it sucks we missed that first game and can't still be playing. I also wish we had a few more bigs to look at.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 am
My thoughts exactly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.