Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Kelly Oubre Jr. Restricted Free Agent Watch

Post by jonh »

Pips wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm
No way he would do that without testing market, both sides i guess playing dangerous game but Suns have better position.
They did with Bledsoe too. Going to his barbers put him in a better position.

Pips

Post by Pips »

He won, Josh lost everthing after haircut, who knows what is best for Kelly...

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Korver is waived today.

Rubio and Kaminsky sign their contracts next.

Then, hopefully, Oubre agrees to a contract.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I wouldn't stress too much we don't owe Oubre shit.. He played a few games here after a trade... If he signs on he should be accepting of whatever the figure is even if he might have thought he could get more...

If he doesn't like it hell take the QO and be playing for that contract... Either way we don't lose except we probably don't retain him after that 1 year. The only way we lose is if he's a locker room detractor...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

jonh wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm
Pips wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm
No way he would do that without testing market, both sides i guess playing dangerous game but Suns have better position.
They did with Bledsoe too. Going to his barbers put him in a better position.
McD was too much on the hunt for a deal that he wrecked the team. Dragic should have retired a sun and we should have built the team at other positions in lieu of signing a trio of PGs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:08 pm
I wouldn't stress too much we don't owe Oubre s***.. He played a few games here after a trade... If he signs on he should be accepting of whatever the figure is even if he might have thought he could get more...

If he doesn't like it hell take the QO and be playing for that contract... Either way we don't lose except we probably don't retain him after that 1 year. The only way we lose is if he's a locker room detractor...
His situation here is mutually beneficial.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

no other team wants him?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's a little strange that there are no rumors or leaks out there about negotiations. I know we're not a top team and he's not a top FA but usually you hear something about the team offering too little or the player wanting too much, both sides being close on a deal or far apart. Seems there's less info coming from the FO these days and haven't seen much from Gambo. This might mean the FO is being reasonable on the contract and Oubre's side is asking for a lot more? I don't know...feel like if we were lowballing it'd have gotten out and the org would be taking shots for being cheap, especially since we're such an easy target these days.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

In what ways does Oubre taking the QO negatively impact the team?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 am
It would most likely negatively affect the team chemistry at some point if he remained on the team throughout the whole season. The Suns would lose any leverage they had to retain him, and i think he could get $18-20M/year next summer if he played hard and took even a small step up in ability.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Xylus wrote:
If we develop a reputation for trading for middling players with expiring contracts and then not bidding against ourselves when nobody else shows any interest in signing them, then nobody will want to play here. Or something like that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I assume it is all about the length and less about the annual $$. It seems we are really trying to keep our books open for when Ayton and Bridges are due for their extensions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:44 am
Xylus wrote:
If we develop a reputation for trading for middling players with expiring contracts and then not bidding against ourselves when nobody else shows any interest in signing them, then nobody will want to play here. Or something like that.
I mostly agree with you, but I would argue that there is some truth to the position. The Suns under Sarver, whether totally deserved or not, have a reputation of being cheap and not treating players the best. When we trade for an FA and he really wants to stay here and talks big about how much he wants to be part of the "ValleyBoyz" for a long time, and then we bicker with him over contract terms and a few million dollars, it looks bad for our team that is already perceived as being penny-pinching.

That doesn't mean we should overpay for Oubre or bid against ourselves, as you say. But it does mean that this could look bad if the Oubre negotiations break down over money.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am
The Suns under Sarver, whether totally deserved or not, have a reputation of being cheap and not treating players the best.
If u ask Marion, JJ, Dragić - totaly deserved :lol:

SDC

Post by SDC »

sign Shaun Livingston to a one yr deal. he's another one who can play point and tyler johnson moves to sg.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We have zero need for Livingston

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 am
He’s a winner and Tyler isn’t that good of a PG. Tyler can play SG. I was never a fan of Tyler running an offense. He just looked better because OKobo and Melton looked so horrendous. Livingston fits better than other options right now.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 am
He’s a winner and Tyler isn’t that good of a PG. Tyler can play SG. I was never a fan of Tyler running an offense. He just looked better because OKobo and Melton looked so horrendous. Livingston fits better than other options right now.
Better than Rubio?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Livingston was talking retirement last season.

jonh

Post by jonh »

No word on Oubre yet? I hope they are able to sign him and just move forward on the season. I wish there was some leak about how far apart they are in terms of price.