Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Post by SDC »

hmmm... willie reed would be a nice third string center.
Last edited by SDC on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gambo was answering questions in some of those threads last night...said it was a compromise for both sides. Suns don't want 2 players needing contracts in the same offseason, tho they'll deal with it with Bridges and Ayton when it comes up. Seems like Suns gave more money to get the shorter deal done. Gambo loves Oubre and would've liked him on a 3-4 year deal but Suns couldn't commit like that after only 12 starts. Oubre's betting on himself and if he plays well, Suns will pay him (we've heard that before).

Good deal overall, glad it's done. Gambo also said Mikal will play backup 2, Okobo will be gone and we're looking for a 3rd string PF now.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 am
Good deal overall, glad it's done. Gambo also said Mikal will play backup 2, Okobo will be gone and we're looking for a 3rd string PF now.
Wouldn't Jerome be our 3rd string PG?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I assume 3rd strong PG and/or SG. Gambo said 3rd string power forward.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Oh man, totally read that wrong.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I told y’all not to worry ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sounds like Kelly wanted 4 years at 15 per and we probably wanted 12-13 per. Compromised and gave him his salary at lower years. Its at 15.6 this year and 14.3 next year. We should have another 25-30 million in space next year. Drop that 10 million to keep Saric’s cap hold.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Well, I'm relieved. Glad it's only 2 years. It gives Oubre time to show if he can make a consistent impact.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Gambo was answering questions in some of those threads last night...said it was a compromise for both sides. Suns don't want 2 players needing contracts in the same offseason, tho they'll deal with it with Bridges and Ayton when it comes up. Seems like Suns gave more money to get the shorter deal done. Gambo loves Oubre and would've liked him on a 3-4 year deal but Suns couldn't commit like that after only 12 starts. Oubre's betting on himself and if he plays well, Suns will pay him (we've heard that before).

Uh, Kaminsky? Maybe that deal is off.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 am
ShelC wrote:

I think he'd be 2nd string behind Saric, with Ayton and Baynes playing the 5.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Xylus wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 am
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Whatever it takes to keep Cam off the floor. :twisted:

jonh

Post by jonh »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 am
Xylus wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Its really courteous of you to be looking out for his hip like that.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Xylus wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Its really courteous of you to be looking out for his hip like that.
His health is my #1 priority.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Nice deal! Actually shocked this this ended well. Betting on himself. I like it.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

ShelC wrote:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Xylus wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Yeah, let's keep him upright unlike Warren.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/1072183/2019/07 ... -the-suns/
“Energy-wise, he turned this team around,” then-rookie center Deandre Ayton said back in March. “He’s making everybody embrace being family. … He has that energy to where we’re all brothers. We’re gonna fight. We’re gonna be cussing at each other. But we’re all as one.”
Oubre remembers feeling “really nervous” as he spoke to the crowd during his first home Suns game in late December. After all, the reason he wound up in Phoenix in the first place was because of a botched trade.

“I was like, ‘These people don’t know me. I’m just this new kid on the block,’” Oubre recalled. “But from that day forward, man, they embraced me with nothing but love. I plan to pay it forward 10 times over.”

Oubre has already started that process by staying in Phoenix following his breakout season.

He rejoins a Suns team with franchise anchors Ayton and Devin Booker intact. And a team that has otherwise revamped much of its roster, adding point guard Ricky Rubio, frontcourt players Dario Saric, Frank Kaminsky and Aron Baynes and draft picks Cameron Johnson and Ty Jerome.

They are all Valley Boyz now, thanks to the ringleader’s return.

The Phoenix lights are back on Oubre.

Time to release the trademarked merchandise.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SDC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 am
i'd still in favor of signing shaun livingston to a one year deal.
6 of our 14 players under contract are point guards (43% of our roster). Why would you want to add a 7th?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

2 years is a long time. Let's see how it all unfolds.