Suns trading Melton and Jackson to Grizz for Korver and Javon Carter

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns trading Melton and Jackson to Grizz for Korver and Javon Carter

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 pm
I'm pretty convinced the Suns will win 35 games this year. They will be better at every position for the entire year except SG:

PG - Last year: G-league level talent(who?), Johnson(late acquisition, hurt)) - This year: Rubio(well-respected NBA talent that can distribute), Johnson(healthy?), Jerome(rookie, NBA ready?)

SG - Booker - 'nuf said

SF - Last year: TJ Warren(sometimes/injured), Bridges(rookie), Oubre(late season acquisition), Jackson(headcase) - This year: Oubre(acclimated), Bridges(a year better), Johnson(rookie, NBA ready?), no Jackson(addition by subtraction)

PF - Last year: hmmm, Nobody? - This year Saric(another well respected NBA talent), Kaminsky, Spalding

C - Last year: Ayton(rookie, no facilitator, a coach that had no idea how to use him), Holmes(high energy back-up) - This year: Ayton(a year better, a PG that can pass to him, and a coach that will put him in the right places on the court), Baynes(high energy back-up)

Coach - Last year: Igor(poor communicator, not a leader, career assistant) - This year: Williams(excellent communicator, a leader, head coaching experience)

Intangibles - Last year: never heard about chemistry/questionable - This year: already hearing about a bond between Booker and Ayton. Oubre brings chemistry and drive.

How can they not be 15-20 games better than last year?

On a side note: I have watched some Ty Jerome highlights and see Steve Nash. The way he moves on the court, his shots, etc. Does anyone else see that?
I like the position by position breakdown. But I don't think we can determine our expected win total by comparing how shitty last year's team was to our expectations for this year's team. The real comparison will be to other teams around the league. Here is how we fared against each team. Who do we think we will do better against this year and by how much? ANd who will we do worse against and by how much? (I assume we can't pencil in 3 wins against the Bucks and Warriors...

To get to 35 wins, we have to gain 16 wins against these teams, and not lose any. I just don't see that happening. I think even my guess of 32 wins is overly optimistic.

Code: Select all

W	L
ATL	0	2
BOS	1	1
BKY	0	2
CHO	0	2
CHI	0	2
CLE	1	1
DAL	2	2
DEN	1	3
DET	0	2
GSW	1	3
HOU	0	3
IND	0	2
LAC	0	4
LAL	1	3
MEM	1	2
MIA	1	1
MIL	2	0
MIN	1	2
NOP	2	2
NYK	2	0
OKC	0	4
ORL	1	1
PHI	0	2
POR	0	3
SAC	1	3
SAS	1	3
TOR	0	2
UTH	0	4
WAS	0	2

Last edited by Indy on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am

I'll happily go less than 30 wins on a bet.
Worm won this deal if he said 25 wins and then you gave him 29.5.
Sounds like somebody wants in on the action. I’ll give you 25 wins. Also, if the Suns end up winning 29.5 games, I’ll eat my hat.
Worm said 25 then you said I will bet you they win 30. If Worm was confident, he should stick with 25. Or at least go with <=25 Work wins, >=30 you win, and it is a draw in the middle.

For the record, I think we will be around 31 or 32.
Well, that contradicts what you said above. Sounds like you're on my side.
No my point was that Worm won the bet making process by getting you to give him an extra 4 games over his prediction, where you stood pat with yours. Not that his prediction of 25 games will be right.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Worm won this deal if he said 25 wins and then you gave him 29.5.
Sounds like somebody wants in on the action. I’ll give you 25 wins. Also, if the Suns end up winning 29.5 games, I’ll eat my hat.
Worm said 25 then you said I will bet you they win 30. If Worm was confident, he should stick with 25. Or at least go with <=25 Work wins, >=30 you win, and it is a draw in the middle.

For the record, I think we will be around 31 or 32.
Well, that contradicts what you said above. Sounds like you're on my side.
No my point was that Worm won the bet making process by getting you to give him an extra 4 games over his prediction, where you stood pat with yours. Not that his prediction of 25 games will be right.
Gotcha. Always have to give a Worm a little wiggle room, no?
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Gotcha. Always have to give a Worm a little wiggle room, no?
9/10
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 am
SunsRIt wrote:
I'm pretty convinced the Suns will win 35 games this year. They will be better at every position for the entire year except SG:

PG - Last year: G-league level talent(who?), Johnson(late acquisition, hurt)) - This year: Rubio(well-respected NBA talent that can distribute), Johnson(healthy?), Jerome(rookie, NBA ready?)

SG - Booker - 'nuf said

SF - Last year: TJ Warren(sometimes/injured), Bridges(rookie), Oubre(late season acquisition), Jackson(headcase) - This year: Oubre(acclimated), Bridges(a year better), Johnson(rookie, NBA ready?), no Jackson(addition by subtraction)

PF - Last year: hmmm, Nobody? - This year Saric(another well respected NBA talent), Kaminsky, Spalding

C - Last year: Ayton(rookie, no facilitator, a coach that had no idea how to use him), Holmes(high energy back-up) - This year: Ayton(a year better, a PG that can pass to him, and a coach that will put him in the right places on the court), Baynes(high energy back-up)

Coach - Last year: Igor(poor communicator, not a leader, career assistant) - This year: Williams(excellent communicator, a leader, head coaching experience)

Intangibles - Last year: never heard about chemistry/questionable - This year: already hearing about a bond between Booker and Ayton. Oubre brings chemistry and drive.

On a side note: I have watched some Ty Jerome highlights and see Steve Nash. The way he moves on the court, his shots, etc. Does anyone else see that?
I like the position by position breakdown. But I don't think we can determine our expected win total by comparing how s*** last year's team was to our expectations for this year's team. The real comparison will be to other teams around the league. Here is how we fared against each team. Who do we think we will do better against this year and by how much? ANd who will we do worse against and by how much? (I assume we can't pencil in 3 wins against the Bucks and Warriors...

To get to 35 wins, we have to gain 16 wins against these teams, and not lose any. I just don't see that happening. I think even my guess of 32 wins is overly optimistic.

W	L
ATL	0	2
BOS	1	1
BKY	0	2
CHO	0	2
CHI	0	2
CLE	1	1
DAL	2	2
DEN	1	3
DET	0	2
GSW	1	3
HOU	0	3
IND	0	2
LAC	0	4
LAL	1	3
MEM	1	2
MIA	1	1
MIL	2	0
MIN	1	2
NOP	2	2
NYK	2	0
OKC	0	4
ORL	1	1
PHI	0	2
POR	0	3
SAC	1	3
SAS	1	3
TOR	0	2
UTH	0	4
WAS	0	2

This is a great concept until you look at a couple of the teams they actually won and lost too. They beat the Bucks twice and lost to the Knicks twice. They “should” have lost both games to the Bucks and probably split with the Knicks based on percentages.

I’m just trying to have some hope for the upcoming season. Every team in the league didn’t get better in the off-season, some teams got worse. The good news is the Suns have 82 games to play this season. We will see how it goes on the court.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm
Indy wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

SG - Booker - 'nuf said

I like the position by position breakdown. But I don't think we can determine our expected win total by comparing how s*** last year's team was to our expectations for this year's team. The real comparison will be to other teams around the league. Here is how we fared against each team. Who do we think we will do better against this year and by how much? ANd who will we do worse against and by how much? (I assume we can't pencil in 3 wins against the Bucks and Warriors...

W	L
ATL	0	2
BOS	1	1
BKY	0	2
CHO	0	2
CHI	0	2
CLE	1	1
DAL	2	2
DEN	1	3
DET	0	2
GSW	1	3
HOU	0	3
IND	0	2
LAC	0	4
LAL	1	3
MEM	1	2
MIA	1	1
MIL	2	0
MIN	1	2
NOP	2	2
NYK	2	0
OKC	0	4
ORL	1	1
PHI	0	2
POR	0	3
SAC	1	3
SAS	1	3
TOR	0	2
UTH	0	4
WAS	0	2

This is a great concept until you look at a couple of the teams they actually won and lost too. They beat the Bucks twice and lost to the Knicks twice. They “should” have lost both games to the Bucks and probably split with the Knicks based on percentages.

I’m just trying to have some hope for the upcoming season. Every team in the league didn’t get better in the off-season, some teams got worse. The good news is the Suns have 82 games to play this season. We will see how it goes on the court.
The Suns swept both the Knicks and Bucks last season.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I could see the Suns winning 50 games this season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

Post by carey »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 pm
I don't know about that, but I don't see us losing 50 games if Booker, Ayton and Rubio all stay healthy for 80% of the season or so.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I don't know about that, but I don't see us losing 50 games if Booker, Ayton and Rubio all stay healthy for 80% of the season or so.
I admit everything would have to go right (to win 50). Great coaching with everyone on the same page, no injury issues, Ayton improving significantly, Rubio turning us into a cohesive team, etc.

It’s not like it hasn’t happened before, though. We once signed an old point guard and went from 29 wins to 62.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Booker has only done that once in 4 years. Let's hope he gets there again this year. Hopefully he is working hard this summer on conditioning/strength.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Even if we got an extra win against every single team in the league this year versus last year, that still might not be enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Indy wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Even if we got an extra win against every single team in the league this year versus last year, that still might not be enough to make the playoffs in the West.
Well, if we’d done that last year, we’d have had 48 wins, and the Spurs and Clippers would have had 47.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns would have just had Tyler Johnson, who is a backup level PG, all year, they would have won 35 games last year. That's without a PF on the roster.

They improved every position and bench, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

suns will have a better regular season record than dallas, houston, sacramento kings,

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 pm
If the Suns would have just had Tyler Johnson, who is a backup level PG, all year, they would have won 35 games last year.
MVP! MVP! MVP!
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
If the Suns would have just had Tyler Johnson, who is a backup level PG, all year, they would have won 35 games last year. That's without a PF on the roster.
I don't agree with this. But we certainly would have been better. It's hard to know how good we "should" have been because we clearly sat marginally injured players and didn't try our hardest to win at the end of the season. Sometimes you win more games simply because you start trying your hardest as an organization and stop "soft tanking" by resting guys who could play.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 pm
In2ition wrote:
I don't agree with this. But we certainly would have been better. It's hard to know how good we "should" have been because we clearly sat marginally injured players and didn't try our hardest to win at the end of the season. Sometimes you win more games simply because you start trying your hardest as an organization and stop "soft tanking" by resting guys who could play.
YEah, let's hope we didn't fuck up anyone else on the roster by not trying hard. Teaching competitors it is ok (and even encouraged) to lose can really screw you up.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I kind of think the 8ish game stretch where we were really competitive was a combination of Igor finally playing his best 6 players, plus the addition of Tyler and Oubre, plus the fact that the rest of the league knew they could rest for 44 minutes and just pick any 4 minute stretch to beat us. Teams were really playing down to us and we caught a few over those two weeks.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In2ition wrote:
YEah, let's hope we didn't f*** up anyone else on the roster by not trying hard. Teaching competitors it is ok (and even encouraged) to lose can really screw you up.
In hindsight, organizationally tanking games was the dumbest thing you could possibly do, imo. It just created a terrible culture and they dropped the ball on developing those young draft picks, which was reprehensible.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In2ition wrote:
YEah, let's hope we didn't f*** up anyone else on the roster by not trying hard. Teaching competitors it is ok (and even encouraged) to lose can really screw you up.
In hindsight, organizationally tanking games was the dumbest thing you could possibly do, imo. It just created a terrible culture and they dropped the ball on developing those young draft picks, which was reprehensible.
If you are tanking as a one-off, it could work (especially with the old lotto rules). But teaching your players it is ok to lose is just stupid as a year over year over year strategy. Ugh.