Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Tsunami Papi is Back! - Kelly Oubre Jr. Signs for 2 Years, $30 Mil

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 pm
SDC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 am
i'd still in favor of signing shaun livingston to a one year deal.
6 of our 14 players under contract are point guards (43% of our roster). Why would you want to add a 7th?
Because, sdc... That's just how he operates. The more obscure the suggestion, the better.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like this deal even more after sleeping on it for a night.

It's a little more annual salary than I think he's worth right now, but if Oubre sees himself as a star-level player, he'll have two years to prove it while not feeling completely shafted on his current deal. If he goes up a level and the Suns want to re-sign him, they'll have his Bird rights which will enable them to go over the cap to retain him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Phoenix219

Re: Kelly Oubre Jr. Restricted Free Agent Watch

Post by Phoenix219 »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 pm
jonh wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm
Pips wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm
No way he would do that without testing market, both sides i guess playing dangerous game but Suns have better position.
They did with Bledsoe too. Going to his barbers put him in a better position.
McD was too much on the hunt for a deal that he wrecked the team. Dragic should have retired a sun and we should have built the team at other positions in lieu of signing a trio of PGs.
Yup. Shoulda let Bledsoe walk and never even thought about Brandon Knight. Dragic/Isaiah Thomas would have been a good start. They should never have crapped on the Suns traditional style and identity. Lots of people should have retired Suns that didn't.
Pips wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am
The Suns under Sarver, whether totally deserved or not, have a reputation of being cheap and not treating players the best.
If u ask Marion, JJ, Dragić - totaly deserved :lol:
Players, coaches, staff..... we've run off a list of NBA legends in one capacity or another. Nash, Hill, Majerle, Hornacek, Stoudemire.... we may as well be an expansion team drafting for the first time.

If there was ever a year that was lined up perfectly from the basketball gods.... fated for Phoenix.... left as a gift for the ages.....the first year we EVER get the #1.... a rookie superstar available..... that is made precisely for the type of play Phoenix was always known for.... that could step right in and make the machine operate.... in true Suns fashion.... they pick the modern Bowie/Oden over Jordan/Durant.

Fingers crossed, but if we make anything of this year and our new roster, it will be in spite of Sarver, not because of. A once great fanchise has been decimated. All eggs are in the Rubio basket..... and for the first time in awhile, I will at least be watching....

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm

It's a little more annual salary than I think he's worth right now, but if Oubre sees himself as a star-level player, he'll have two years to prove it while not feeling completely shafted on his current deal. If he goes up a level and the Suns want to re-sign him, they'll have his Bird rights which will enable them to go over the cap to retain him.
I think he is clearly worth more than the MLE. So I don't think it is over priced. Really, the only thing I wish were different would be a team option on a 3rd year. So a 3 yr/45M with a declining salary each year, with a team option on year 3. He gets paid his 35 or so guaranteed over the first 2 years, then we get a team option on a lesser deal.

But to Jones' point, that would mean Ayton, Bridges, and Oubre are all up the same year. Makes it hard.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Are we allowed to sign Oubre to an extension next summer?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think he is clearly worth more than the MLE. So I don't think it is over priced. Really, the only thing I wish were different would be a team option on a 3rd year. So a 3 yr/45M with a declining salary each year, with a team option on year 3. He gets paid his 35 or so guaranteed over the first 2 years, then we get a team option on a lesser deal.

But to Jones' point, that would mean Ayton, Bridges, and Oubre are all up the same year. Makes it hard.
I agree, but the MLE is way more than his $15M/year average. I think his current value is closer to $12M/year.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I agree, but the MLE is way more than his $15M/year average. I think his current value is closer to $12M/year.
Isn't MLE 10M/year? Yeah 15 is more than 10, but he is that much better for this team. I mean Marcus just got a 15M contract and he is an asshole FOE douche.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:31 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Isn't MLE 10M/year? Yeah 15 is more than 10, but he is that much better for this team. I mean Marcus just got a 15M contract and he is an asshole FOE douche.
It's closer to $9M/year, but whatever. I just think locking him into a long term salary that averages $15M+/year is too risky. I need to see him become more consistent and go up a level overall to justify a 3-4 year commitment. I can stomach it for two years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I guess I see this year's salary as free. We had his bird rights and could over the cap to sign him, so it didn't prevent us from doing anything else. And we front loaded it, so next year is only 14.4. Let's hope he blows that out of the water and makes it worth signing him to a longer term deal.

SDC

Post by SDC »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 pm
SDC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 am
i'd still in favor of signing shaun livingston to a one year deal.
6 of our 14 players under contract are point guards (43% of our roster). Why would you want to add a 7th?
the only 3 worth keeping are rubio, tyler johnson and ty jerome. the rest wont get any PT.

livingston on a one year deal can help the sans transition from a lottery team to a playoff team.

once they sign him, tyler johnson can move to off guard. cam johnson doesnt need to be the primary backup at SF since the depth chart at sf will be kelly, mikal, cam. (or mikal, kelly, cam). He'll be the third string sf unless one of the forwards goes down with an injury.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shaun Livingston isn’t extending his career to play for a bottom dwelling organization. Let’s just stop.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am
Shaun Livingston isn’t extending his career to play for a bottom dwelling organization. Let’s just stop.
C'mon, Sauce! He is clearly the difference maker. He would make us a legit playoff team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do like Livingston. But we have too many PGs, and we have no cap space, so he'd have to accept a minimum contract. I don't see why he would want to play for such a bad team, come off the bench, and not get many minutes, all for minimum pay.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Why are we really talking about this?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm
because it is the off season and we have to talk about the stupidest ideas.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm
because it is the off season and we have to talk about the stupidest ideas.
:lol:

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 am
I do like Livingston. But we have too many PGs, and we have no cap space, so he'd have to accept a minimum contract. I don't see why he would want to play for such a bad team, come off the bench, and not get many minutes, all for minimum pay.
the suns only have 3 legit pgs (and tj can move to off guard to make room), and i think this team is in play for the 8th seed (suns will have a better record than dallas, i'm willing to make that bet). i believe livingston will accept a one year deal if no other team is willing to pay his asking price.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Seems like the plan is to try to get the team good enough in the next two years to make the playoffs. Develop Booker and Ayton into All-stars. And keep enough cap flexibility to go after a 3rd guy. And hopefully Jerome and Cam turn into serviceable players that we can trade if need be.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe we have the 3rd guy already. Oubre, Bridges, Saric? Guys can emerge just the same.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm
Maybe we have the 3rd guy already. Oubre, Bridges, Saric? Guys can emerge just the same.
The ideal would be having someone that makes Booker and Ayton #2 & #3. That would be a clear upgrade toward contention.