NBA Summer League

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: NBA Summer League

Post by The Bobster »

Grayson Allen is a POS. He is well past the point where you give him the benefit of the doubt.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Grayson Allen being Grayson Allen:

Like he's being coached by Earl Watson.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm
LOL. Those announcers were s*** all over him. The more vocal guy was a bit much and clearly doesn't like Allen.
Yeah the one guy is local here in Indy. Calls a college game or 2 each week and is privy to Allen’s shit and knows he’s a punk. To me Grayson is the epitome of white privilege. He doesn’t belong in any sort of league. He needs anger management and not the kind that Elite programs say their students went through so he can play sooner. Duke definitely enabled him.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

Informer, are you beginning to believe?
Nice highlights. I hope he is the player you think he is; it would really make that Heat team interesting.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm
I see another Kyle Korver or Rip Hamilton.
Huh?! Those are two extremely different comps. Rip wasn't a wizard off the dribble, but he still could score off the bounce. Korver is strictly a catch and shoot guy.

Plus, if Herro is Rip, the Heat and 'bazz really got it right.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm
I see another Kyle Korver or Rip Hamilton.
Huh?! Those are two extremely different comps. Rip wasn't a wizard off the dribble, but he still could score off the bounce. Korver is strictly a catch and shoot guy.

Plus, if Herro is Rip, the Heat and 'bazz really got it right.
You're right about Rip, that's not a fair comp.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Brandon Clarke crushed it during the Summer League.

Cam Johnson really better be a knock down shooter or a lot of people are going to be pissed off.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Cam Johnson really better be a knock down shooter or a lot of people are going to be pissed off.
Let's see how they both do in the big league.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:47 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Let's see how they both do in the big league.
I doubt Cam will even get enough playing time to compare them in the regular season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

NBA Summer League

Post by carey »

JeremyG wrote:
I doubt Cam will even get enough playing time to compare them in the regular season.
Still disagree. Jones is going to have Monty find time for the kid. He said he envisions him playing the 2-4 meaning he's versatile enough to be out there with one of Rubio/TJ then a Bridges-Cam-Oubre wing combination and finally one of Ayton/Baynes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Part of my expectactions for this year come in the form of a rotation that doesn’t rely on rookies performing well. So I don’t care as much on the Brandon Clarke vs Cam Jhonson rookie year watch as I do on a team (players, stars, coaches, season record) that renders irrelevant wether Cam contributes or not. Will be thrilled if he rides the bench all year because the veterans ahead of him on the rotation are performing and we are fighting for something meaningful in late march.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 am
Part of my expectactions for this year come in the form of a rotation that doesn’t rely on rookies performing well. So I don’t care as much on the Brandon Clarke vs Cam Jhonson rookie year watch as I do on a team (players, stars, coaches, season record) that renders irrelevant wether Cam contributes or not. Will be thrilled if he rides the bench all year because the veterans ahead of him on the rotation are performing and we are fighting for something meaningful in late march.
That's fine, but, given that we started the offseason with the #6 pick, it's pretty depressingly low expectations to essentially say that you don't care if our rookies contribute anything at all. If we had stayed at #6 and drafted White or Culver, they would be playing and expected to contribute. Now we've dropped to, "We expect nothing and anything they give us is a bonus." That's a sad comment on our front office.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
That's fine, but, given that we started the offseason with the #6 pick, it's pretty depressingly low expectations to essentially say that you don't care if our rookies contribute anything at all. If we had stayed at #6 and drafted White or Culver, they would be playing and expected to contribute. Now we've dropped to, "We expect nothing and anything they give us is a bonus." That's a sad comment on our front office.
Absolutely agree. The fact that the rest of the roster was improved doesnt take away from the poor way they handled the 6th pick in the draft. Its crazy thinking that the 2nd worst team in the league ended up drafting a prospect universally ranked to be the 20th best prospect. That is incredibly frustrating.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
I honestly believe this draft is one of the biggest blunders in our recent history, and overall the summer has been pretty underwhelming. I didn't have dreams of actually landing a star, but even if you go the 'solid vets' route, there could have been a better roster.

#6 + Warren + MIL pick + #32 in exchange for Saric + #11 + # 24 + Baynes. I can't speak for anyone, but I sure would have said no way.

Then the picks made are pretty questionable and the use of cap space/flexibility, while not wasted, is nothing spectacular. Let's pray the kids do improve and the rest goes moderately well. Truth is this group actually has my curiosity and on the brigt side, I don't hate anyone on the team haha

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
I’m talking post-draft depression. How we get here is beyond any reasonable defense, we overpaid every step of the way, but here we are now. Just saying that we shouldn’t put #6 expectations on Cam, and even if we would have taken Clarke, still would prefer him to ride the pine if that came from solid play ahead of him and a team chasing something meaningful. To have a year when we are not depending on rookies making instant strides is refreshing.

3rdside

NBA Summer League

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
I honestly believe this draft is one of the biggest blunders in our recent history, and overall the summer has been pretty underwhelming. I didn't have dreams of actually landing a star, but even if you go the 'solid vets' route, there could have been a better roster.

#6 + Warren + MIL pick + #32 in exchange for Saric + #11 + # 24 + Baynes. I can't speak for anyone, but I sure would have said no way.

Then the picks made are pretty questionable and the use of cap space/flexibility, while not wasted, is nothing spectacular. Let's pray the kids do improve and the rest goes moderately well. Truth is this group actually has my curiosity and on the brigt side, I don't hate anyone on the team haha

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/valleyof ... gency/amp/

How many times do we say ‘pick your guy no matter where you’re drafting’?

Often.

Jones had the balls to do it with Cam and I’m totally fine with it on paper.

And with Saric, I’d much rather those two than any of the Garland, Hunter, White, Culver pu-pu platter we might have had otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Often.

And with Saric, I’d much rather those two than any of the Garland, Hunter, White, Culver pu-pu platter we might have had otherwise.

They also say 'draft for talent, not for need'; or 'draft BPA'. People say a lot of things. I only care about a) to what extent Jones got the most out of the resources he used to get what he wanted and b) if what he wanted is actually what Booker-Ayton need to reach their considerable ceiling. We know this team had to add 3pt shooting, but PHX was overall just dreadful in defense and rebounding as well, yet in my opinion the cast assembled does little overall on these fronts, so I am skeptical about how much the team will actually improve.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:11 am
3rdside wrote:

Often.

They also say 'draft for talent, not for need'; or 'draft BPA'. People say a lot of things. I only care about a) to what extent Jones got the most out of the resources he used to get what he wanted and b) if what he wanted is actually what Booker-Ayton need to reach their considerable ceiling. We know this team had to add 3pt shooting, but PHX was overall just dreadful in defense and rebounding as well, yet in my opinion the cast assembled does little overall on these fronts, so I am skeptical about how much the team will actually improve.
It's all on paper at the moment and I, for (probably not just) one, am entirely guilty of drinking the home team kool-aid.

I thought Ariza was an astute pick up and was about to lay it all on the over after our first game against Dallas last year...

Cap

Post by Cap »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:

Often.

It's all on paper at the moment and I, for (probably not just) one, am entirely guilty of drinking the home team kool-aid.

I thought Ariza was an astute pick up and was about to lay it all on the over after our first game against Dallas last year...
All on paper at the moment. That’s the wonderful thing about the off-season. For six months, we don’t lose any games and can believe whatever the hell we want about next season. We’re undefeated in 2019-20.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 am
3rdside wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
3rdside wrote:

Often.

All on paper at the moment. That’s the wonderful thing about the off-season. For six months, we don’t lose any games and can believe whatever the hell we want about next season. We’re undefeated in 2019-20.
And in my mind Rubio's bringing back 7SOL and Cam is a 6'9" Ray Allen.

Go Suns.