Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:20 am
Not to criticize every transaction for the "value" we did or did not get out of it or should have gotten out of it or why it sucks and will most likely be a failure.
I'm sorry, 'bone, but those things matter when you're trying to build a winning a team. I want the Suns to be a great team, and it bothers me when I see things done that get in the way of that goal. And I like to voice that frustration; it's therapeutic. :D When it comes to the teams I cheer for, I just can't be that "stick my head in the sand" fan.
I’m aware that every one finds their one way to find relief through this team, no one has the right to force some kind on style on their posting, most of the people around here can see what effects the moves will have on the team, it’s just that we differ on how to process them. I just don’t find satisfaction on being frustrated and angry all the time but it doesn’t mean my reactions are naive or dumb, or under peyote effects.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm
Not saying that Rubio will be the next 2 times MVP, but is not out of the posible, that his arrival will have a positive impact.
Is there anyone that doesn't think Rubio will have a positive impact? This is a 19-win team that didn't have a point guard last year. It won't be hard to positively impact that situation. I don't remember anyone saying Rubio can't improve the team. I think the points of contention are 1) there were better options, 2) how much good his signing actually accomplishes.
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm
The pessimist happens to be correct most of the time over the optimistic people, but we optimists enjoy the ride further and longer.
I have no idea what that means.

I really don't think it has to be this big philosophical, existentialist reflection on life. For me, it's quite simple: I see things and respond to them. If they're good things, my opinion is going to be positive. If they're bad things, my opinion is going to be negative. I don't make a predetermination as to how much positive or negative I am going to discuss. That would feel disingenuous to me.
I respect you and the kind of poster you embody, it helps balance and brings informed views to the table. And I agree that’s quite simple, I like to hope for the best if there is a reason for it, won’t ask you to try it, just understand that I see things as well and respond to them in a very different way that you.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am
But I also don’t appreciate the insinuation that I’m a “stick my head in the sand” fan because I don’t participate in your misery. You do you and I’ll do me.
That comment was about me; if I withhold an opinion just because it's negative, I will feel like I am "sticking my head in the sand."

I'm not complaining about how you or anyone else posts.
👍

This concludes our yearly discussion on the matter. ;)
And I would plegde to this as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I try to be fair and balanced. I think *everybody's* posts are stupid!!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Looks like the Wizards are offering Beal 3-years, $111 million. Making Rubio and Oubre really look even more overpaid.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm
Looks like the Wizards are offering Beal 3-years, $111 million. Making Rubio and Oubre really look even more overpaid.
How does that make them look more overpaid? That’s a max extension offer for Beal. Though I believe Beal can get more if waits until FA and signs a max. I think they know this offer will be turned down and then that will make it easier to explain to fans when they trade him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:49 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
How does that make them look more overpaid? That’s a max extension offer for Beal. Though I believe Beal can get more if waits until FA and signs a max. I think they know this offer will be turned down and then that will make it easier to explain to fans when they trade him.
Sorry. More sarcasm. I think it's CRAZY money to give Beal.

Oubre = $15 million per season.
Beal = $37 million per season.

At this point, nobody here can convince me that Beal is worth 2.5x more money per season than Oubre.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Beal:
36 MPG | 25.6 PTS | 47% FG | 35 3P% | 5.0 REB | 5.5 AST | 1.5 STL | 0.7 BLK

Oubre:
28 MPG | 15.2 PTS | 45% FG | 32 3P% | 4.7 REB | 1.2 AST | 1.2 STL | 0.9 BLK

I'll take the guy averaging more BLK per game, thank you very much!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wouldn't it be nice to win a title with just guys on rookie deals and vet minimums? Put together the all bargain team to win a title.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 pm
Beal:
36 MPG | 25.6 PTS | 47% FG | 35 3P% | 5.0 REB | 5.5 AST | 1.5 STL | 0.7 BLK

Oubre:
28 MPG | 15.2 PTS | 45% FG | 32 3P% | 4.7 REB | 1.2 AST | 1.2 STL | 0.9 BLK

I'll take the guy averaging more BLK per game, thank you very much!
HA!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

At this point, nobody here can convince me that Beal is worth 2.5x more money per season than Oubre.

Gotcha

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
Split T wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

You can't build a great team with Kelly as your 1st or 2nd best player. You can with Beal. That salary curve gets steep when you are talking about core pieces off their rookie deals.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am
Those are your opinions. I happen to like Shel’s better. It’s interesting how so many Suns fans like to crap on almost every move we make. Most of the pundits think it’s a good move but of course, they don’t know the team like we do so what do they know?
Most of the pundits loved our Bender/Chriss combo platter.

I'm still mystified but this same post that gets regurgitated every offseason. Why do we ignore the legitimate, reasonable concerns people have, and try to write them off as people just being negative to be negative? And why do we still cry over negative opinions after several seasons of negative opinions being proven right?
THIS. I love positivity, but not when it is counter-intuitive to what we have seen year after year after year after year... I don't believe something because someone tells me it is true--I believe it when I see it. Good or bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So putting down for the under?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 pm
So putting down for the under?
If history tells us anything, it is probably to bet the under.

If it is 26.5, it is probably a safer bet than the over, but I do think we should win +30 games. My biggest hesitation there would be related to Book's health.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Win totals from Vegas. Who's too high/low?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:53 pm
Win totals from Vegas. Who's too high/low?

It's still far from the season but...
Under on the Clippers, Grizzlies, Thunder
Over on Raptors, Magic, Jazz, maybe Heat
The next season will be exciting, at least at the start.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The West is a bear. Even last year with KD and a mostly healthy year, the Warriors didn't get above 57. I am not sure anyone in the west gets to that number, even the Clippers who I think are the favorites to lead the West.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know what I’m missing with Dallas, but I do not see them winning 41 games. Thunder probably win more than 31 if they keep CP3. That team is still decent.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:13 am
The West is a bear. Even last year with KD and a mostly healthy year, the Warriors didn't get above 57. I am not sure anyone in the west gets to that number, even the Clippers who I think are the favorites to lead the West.
Also Leonard will only play ~60 games and George might take some time to get into form after the surgeries.