Build Your All-Time Phoenix Suns Team With Only $15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Build Your All-Time Phoenix Suns Team With Only $15

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:02 pm

A more recent version of this game...players and prices are debatable obviously. I included QRich because I was short on SFs and he played a major role on one of our best teams ever. Joe Johnson actually played SF in 04-05 and QRich was SG but JJ was more SG and Q a SF. I'm sure some will want TJ at $2 and QRich at $1 but I like Q more.

Didn't include Penny or Manning. Penny kinda sucked while he was here and Manning got injured. Does JJ get $5 over Book? Does Boris belong? Cliff over Frye? I actually think the $4 team might be the best one.
The dollars should be based on their respective Win Share per 48 as a Starter on the Suns. I am not sure how to filter Cap's list above for only starters, but now I really want to see that.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 am
The dollars should be based on their respective Win Share per 48 as a Starter on the Suns. I am not sure how to filter Cap's list above for only starters, but now I really want to see that.
If you're talking players since Cotton was coach his 2nd time around, it would be something like this -

PG - K.Johnson/Nash/Kidd/Bledsoe/Dragic
SG - Hornacek/Majerle/Richardson/Ainge/Barbosa
SF - Marion/Ceballos/Robinson/Manning/E.Johnson
PF - Barkley/Chambers/Diaw/Gugliotta/Mk.Morris
C - Stoudemire/Gortat/Frye/Williams/Len
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Wow. Tried and couldn't do this, have to have Barkley and Nash on there and $5 isn't enough for the other spots.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 am
Wow. Tried and couldn't do this, have to have Barkley and Nash on there and $5 isn't enough for the other spots.
Nash-Dragic-Cliff-Barkley-RoLo is pretty interesting.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Nash-Dragic-Cliff-Barkley-RoLo is pretty interesting.
Rolo is the closest thing to a Barkley-era center we had during the Nash era; I can see that working. If we're going cheap that way, maybe Rex at 2 with Nash?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 am
Is there a way to upload a photo fro your computer?
I found a plugin for our PHPBB software for uploading images. But I'm having trouble installing it. I will let you know if I make progress.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

All good, I got it!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
I think part of the problem is that it's an unfair game for the Suns. It would make more sense with a team like, say, the Lakers, who have had a bunch of all-time greats in their history. Then the problem becomes finding the most dominant squad from an embarrassment of riches. When you look at a team like the Suns, we haven't ever won a title, and even then, with the $15 you can't even afford our best non-title-winning team. So how could you possibly assemble a dominant roster under these constraints? How can you build a great team when you can't even grab all of the '93 Suns or the '05 Suns in the $15 provided, given that those teams weren't even good enough to win a title?

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 am
Phoenix219 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:02 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:29 pm
No love for Gortat at 5. In his almost three years as a Sun, average 13.3 ppg, 9.3 rbg and 1.5 blocks.
I love Gortat. I still only play outdated versions of 2K, and always pair him with Nash, Amare and Matrix. (I only have a 360, and refuse to get a game with the Bledsoe/Knight and newer rosters.)

I like it, who’s at SG in your team?
I run Nash/Dragic at PG, Richardson/Bell/Barbosa at SG, Matrix and Grant Hill at SF, Amare and Frye at PF, Gortat and Lopez at C. I'm not sure what I did with the last roster spot without checking.
Dudley is supposed to be in that list. It's the perfect mixture of early and late Nash teams. I forego Q and JJ since it was only one year.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

KJ - PG - 4
Majerle - SG - 3
Ceballos - SF - 1
Barkley - PF - 5
West - C - 1
That team is under the cap, won 62 games in 92-93, went to the finals and lost to Jordan’s Bulls. I’m pretty sure Ceballos broke his foot in the second round and missed the rest of the playoffs.

Majerle would be my shooting guard on any team. He was a lights out shooter from 3, a lock-down defender and a great slasher.

I would love to see what Nash, Majerle, Marion, Barkley and Amare could have done.

A trivia question: What one player on this list was traded away for what became 3 players on this list, and who were they?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:43 pm
KJ - PG - 4
Majerle - SG - 3
Ceballos - SF - 1
Barkley - PF - 5
West - C - 1
That team is under the cap, won 62 games in 92-93, went to the finals and lost to Jordan’s Bulls. I’m pretty sure Ceballos broke his foot in the second round and missed the rest of the playoffs.

Majerle would be my shooting guard on any team. He was a lights out shooter from 3, a lock-down defender and a great slasher.

I would love to see what Nash, Majerle, Marion, Barkley and Amare could have done.

A trivia question: What one player on this list was traded away for what became 3 players on this list, and who were they?
I loved, LOVED Thunder Dan Majerle. And in my memory the guy was deadly from 3 and rarely missed one. But the truth is that we may remember him with rose-colored glasses, and by today's standards he was not super accurate from 3. His best season he was .382 from 3pt% and he averaged .358 for his career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... rda01.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 am
SunsRIt wrote:
KJ - PG - 4
Majerle - SG - 3
Ceballos - SF - 1
Barkley - PF - 5
West - C - 1

I loved, LOVED Thunder Dan Majerle. And in my memory the guy was deadly from 3 and rarely missed one. But the truth is that we may remember him with rose-colored glasses, and by today's standards he was not super accurate from 3. His best season he was .382 from 3pt% and he averaged .358 for his career.

There were only 11 guys in the 90s that has multiple seasons of shooting over 37% from 3 (while taking 5/game).

Reggie & Glen Rice x5
Dennis Scott x3
Dan, Joe Dumars, Nick Anderson, The Person Bros, Mark Price, Mitch Richmond, and Cliffy x2

It was a different era, especially when you consider how much contact was allowed on the perimeter. But Dan was certainly elite.

http://bkref.com/tiny/X7FJv

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea it's all relative. The team stats from then to now are pretty insane. Up until 94-95, teams were averaging less than 10 threes per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/le ... _game.html

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:08 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:35 am
SunsRIt wrote:
KJ - PG - 4
Majerle - SG - 3
Ceballos - SF - 1
Barkley - PF - 5
West - C - 1

There were only 11 guys in the 90s that has multiple seasons of shooting over 37% from 3 (while taking 5/game).

Reggie & Glen Rice x5
Dennis Scott x3
Dan, Joe Dumars, Nick Anderson, The Person Bros, Mark Price, Mitch Richmond, and Cliffy x2

It was a different era, especially when you consider how much contact was allowed on the perimeter. But Dan was certainly elite.

http://bkref.com/tiny/X7FJv
Majerle is my all-time favorite Sun. If you haven’t heard “The Outlet” podcast with him, you should. It’s a good listen. One thing he says is that when he heard the Suns were getting Barkley he hit the gym hard to develop a 3-point shot since Barkley was going to clog the lane and would need someone to dish too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dan’s 3P% was never anywhere near the leaderboard. He’s remembered as a great three-point shooter largely because of his “crazy range” shots, which were extremely unusual in those days.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am
Dan’s 3P% was never anywhere near the leaderboard. He’s remembered as a great three-point shooter largely because of his “crazy range” shots, which were extremely unusual in those days.
Yep. He was 20th for 3 consecutive seasons. But he took WAY more threes than the guys above him. In 93-94 he took over 500 threes. Nobody else was over 400, and some of the guys on the leader board barely cracked 100. Last year, the lowest guy to qualify for the leader board took over 200. Dan't highest season for 3PA/G wouldn't have cracked the top 20 last year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Same these days. The best 3pt shooters don't shoot the highest % because they take a ton and they take higher difficulty shots.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:15 am
Same these days. The best 3pt shooters don't shoot the highest % because they take a ton and they take higher difficulty shots.
Steph was #1 in attempts by a mile, probably took the most difficult ones, and still was 4th at 43.7%.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:16 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
I think part of the problem is that it's an unfair game for the Suns. It would make more sense with a team like, say, the Lakers, who have had a bunch of all-time greats in their history. Then the problem becomes finding the most dominant squad from an embarrassment of riches. When you look at a team like the Suns, we haven't ever won a title, and even then, with the $15 you can't even afford our best non-title-winning team. So how could you possibly assemble a dominant roster under these constraints? How can you build a great team when you can't even grab all of the '93 Suns or the '05 Suns in the $15 provided, given that those teams weren't even good enough to win a title?
Inspired by all of your takes -- especially with unconventional things like trying Dragic at SG and Uncle Cliffy at C:

PG: Nash (5 pts)
SG: Raja (1 pt)
SF: Majerle (3 pts)
PF: Barkley (5 pts)
C: Let's say Uncle Cliffy for 1 point

Not so much guard penetration but have Raja, Thunder Dan, and Cliffy spacing a Nash-Barkley pick-and-roll or Barkley and four-out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm
Inspired by all of your takes -- especially with unconventional things like trying Dragic at SG and Uncle Cliffy at C:

PG: Nash (5 pts)
SG: Raja (1 pt)
SF: Majerle (3 pts)
PF: Barkley (5 pts)
C: Let's say Uncle Cliffy for 1 point

Not so much guard penetration but have Raja, Thunder Dan, and Cliffy spacing a Nash-Barkley pick-and-roll or Barkley and four-out.
That team has crazy range and great floor spacing. Also pretty damn good on D, other than Nash, whom you can cover with the others.