Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump supporters do not have a problem with racism. They are enablers and supporters of bigotry. They all should be shunned and shamed.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 am
Trump supporters do not have a problem with racism. They are enablers and supporters of bigotry. They all should be shunned and shamed.
Im not a Trump supporter (incredibly far from it), but I dislike this rhetoric. I think the current political climate can really only be diffused by opening up lines of communication, rather than shunning or shaming. We all want a hard-hitting sound bite to really stick it to the other side, but there is pain and fear about important issues on both sides of the aisle, and important points to be made.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pain and fear that each side tries to use to their advantage. There is no dialogue between the two sides. It’s just a political war that gets nastier by the day. The Dems have their pro Dem anti Conservative media and the Republicans have their pro Republican anti Dem media which helps divide the country, not unite. The important points they are making is that the other side is evil and should not be trusted ever. I see nothing that will ever change that. Pick a side and start hating the other half of America.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This "both sides" stuff is facile. One side openly antagonizes minorities and encourages if not celebrates violence against them. The other side does not. The idea that we should throw up our hands because both sides are equally bad ignores the fact that one side is way, way, way more bad.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think they are equally as bad. Trump is Satan to me and Republicans are defending him no matter what.

What is equally bad is that the media choosing sides and promoting their side dividing America. FOX News doesn’t even qualify as News and is the official GOP channel which promotes hatred of Dems and minorities. CNN and MSNBC, which I watch, promotes hatred of Republicans, which from my point of view they kind of deserve but, nonetheless isn’t unbiased and doesn’t promote unity. Their goal seems to be to “get Trump” and people like my mother see that and start defending Trump because they see him being picked on. At least that was the reason she gave me for liking Trump. You and I will say he totally deserves it but, I am just saying there is a whole lot of Americans that don’t follow the issues like we do and are swayed by media coverage designed to target those people.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Im not a Trump supporter (incredibly far from it), but I dislike this rhetoric. I think the current political climate can really only be diffused by opening up lines of communication, rather than shunning or shaming. We all want a hard-hitting sound bite to really stick it to the other side, but there is pain and fear about important issues on both sides of the aisle, and important points to be made.
I understand that rationale for the last sentence of his post, but do you have any issues with the first two sentences?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:15 pm
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I understand that rationale for the last sentence of his post, but do you have any issues with the first two sentences?
Oh I do have a problem with blanket statements like this— I would say that, currently, many Republicans have been willing to let their desire to achieve their agenda override their aversion to racist, inflammatory rhetoric. I just wouldn’t say that ALL Republicans have been enablers, but I agree that there has been an uncomfortable amount of them that have not spoken out.

I have had conversations with Republicans that consider trump to be the worst thing to come from the Republican Party, and others that feel that he is still somehow acting towards “the greater good”.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Okay, well, where are these brave Republicans who think Trump is the worst thing ever? They sure don't say it publicly. The entire party just lets Trump run roughshod over all our governmental and societal norms and lets him stoke fear and division and racism and violence all over the country. No significant portion of the party, neither its politicians nor its normal citizens, has risen up to criticize or challenge or disavow him. This means that either the party members are too cowardly to act, or that they actually approve of and endorse his behavior. Either way, shame on them all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:20 am
Okay, well, where are these brave Republicans who think Trump is the worst thing ever? They sure don't say it publicly. The entire party just lets Trump run roughshod over all our governmental and societal norms and lets him stoke fear and division and racism and violence all over the country. No significant portion of the party, neither its politicians nor its normal citizens, has risen up to criticize or challenge or disavow him. This means that either the party members are too cowardly to act, or that they actually approve of and endorse his behavior. Either way, shame on them all.
I think that’s pretty accurate among the elected officials. Not many of them are willing to speak out against trump. I’m assuming because they think it will cost them their office. I live in a very republican dominated area and there are many people who are outspoken against trump. Their voices just don’t get heard as much because they have no platform.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:36 pm
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Oh I do have a problem with blanket statements like this— I would say that, currently, many Republicans have been willing to let their desire to achieve their agenda override their aversion to racist, inflammatory rhetoric. I just wouldn’t say that ALL Republicans have been enablers, but I agree that there has been an uncomfortable amount of them that have not spoken out.

I have had conversations with Republicans that consider trump to be the worst thing to come from the Republican Party, and others that feel that he is still somehow acting towards “the greater good”.
The phrase was "Trump supporter" not "Republican." I realize nearly all supporters are GOP members, but not all. I know plenty of Republicans that openly criticize him and speak out about his racism and even say they wished they didn't vote for him and won't do it again. I get that.

My question was directly at those people that support him, even if they are saying it is for the eventual greater good. I can't see any realistic way you can be a Trump supporter and not be OK with racism and bigotry. You may be a supporter that *says* they don't support his racism/bigotry, but by supporting him you are supporting his racism/bigotry.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What they are not okay with is having their support for racism and bigotry pointed out to them. That is what really bothers them, to have to live with it and to be properly and justifiably called out for it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

For Trump supporters to reject him now would be to surrender to the other side that you hate. That’s a big pill for Conservatives to swallow. They have their money already on the Trump horse. It’s easier for them to convince themselves that the Democrats are just making it all up with their fake news. Mueller clearing Trump of conspiring with Russia has convinced them that the evil Democrats are just attacking Trump out of politics and not any real reasons.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm
jonh wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:36 pm
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

The phrase was "Trump supporter" not "Republican." I realize nearly all supporters are GOP members, but not all. I know plenty of Republicans that openly criticize him and speak out about his racism and even say they wished they didn't vote for him and won't do it again. I get that.

My question was directly at those people that support him, even if they are saying it is for the eventual greater good. I can't see any realistic way you can be a Trump supporter and not be OK with racism and bigotry. You may be a supporter that *says* they don't support his racism/bigotry, but by supporting him you are supporting his racism/bigotry.
Ah, I see the distinction. I think that it would be fair to say that Trump supporters are complicit enablers of bigotry--even if they may have issues with racism, by continuing to support trump, they support the things that he spews.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Another shooting today. More thoughts and prayers...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Police say a man hijacked a postal truck and began shooting people at random in the Midland and Odessa areas of Texas on Saturday, leaving at least five people dead and 21 others injured.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/75633044 ... in-midland

Wait, but, I thought the solution here to stop bad guys with guns was to have more good guys with guns? Isn't Texas the gun capitol of the country? Where were all the good guys stopping this bad guy? Do we need to get to work shipping more guns to Odessa so that every man woman and child can arm themselves?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Second Amendment guarantees our right to bear arms.
arms
/ärmz/
noun
weapons and ammunition; armaments.
"arms exports"
synonyms: weapons (of war), weaponry, firearms, guns, ordnance, cannon, artillery, armaments, munitions, instruments of war, war machines, military supplies, materiel
"arms and ammunition"

Assault rifles, mortars, grenades, RPG’s, artillery, land mines, .50 Cal machine guns mounted on PU trucks, tanks, anti aircraft guns, fighter jets and nuclear weapons are all arms and arms are guaranteed in the 2nd Amendment. Dems are trying to steal my rights...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Been awhile since a Domestic terror attack. Trump just retweeted “The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.” I suspect we will have another Domestic terror attack soon. Call it intuition. Minneapolis is burning and Trump is threatening using the National Guard on the protesters. I’m guessing the next attack will be on a black Baptist Church.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Didn’t know where to talk about this but have you seen the footage of the perp shooting two LA sheriffs in their car like sitting ducks? Nobody else is saying this but it looks to me like either a little person or a kid. They way he runs, it looks like a little person to me. Is it just me?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 pm
Didn’t know where to talk about this but have you seen the footage of the perp shooting two LA sheriffs in their car like sitting ducks? Nobody else is saying this but it looks to me like either a little person or a kid. They way he runs, it looks like a little person to me. Is it just me?
I didn't notice that part of it. The person did look little to me. I hope they catch the person soon and put him/her on trial.