Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
carey

Re: Impeachment

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:It's too late for impeachment. Let's just vote him out of office the old fashioned way.
It's not going to be easy. You all know why. The best way to beat him is by hammering the fact that he's bad for America and getting new voters motivated. If we sit back and try to go toe to toe with him armed with policy and facts he'll slaughter whoever the dems nominate.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 pm
It's too late for impeachment. Let's just vote him out of office the old fashioned way.
If you don't impeach, you are saying that everything he's done is not impeachable. That sets a really bad precedent IMO. I think they have to do it because it's the right thing to do. I respect the other opinion but I really hope they go forward with it, success or no.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They are guaranteed to fail. He would become a martyr for Republicans. Have him lose the election in a bigly way and get thrown out the old fashioned way. America will have said “Take a hike Trump!” When he’s gone I won’t care about the official reason, just that he’s gone.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There are Republicans with a soul who also know what time it is.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sort of unrelated but, I didn’t want to make a new thread. We are worried about Russia meddling in our elections. Right now thousands are protesting in Moscow over economic conditions and lack of election choices etc. Putin has his own problems at home.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-pro ... 1156555642

Now Putin is threatening Google for reporting on the “illegal” protests.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1V10BY
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s state communications watchdog has asked Google (GOOGL.O) to stop advertising “illegal mass events” on its YouTube video platform, it said on Sunday.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just keep in mind, Russia and China/HK are just slightly further down the track than the US with Trump in the White House. His re-election will bring those same scenes stateside.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Sort of unrelated but, I didn’t want to make a new thread. We are worried about Russia meddling in our elections. Right now thousands are protesting in Moscow over economic conditions and lack of election choices etc. Putin has his own problems at home.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-pro ... 1156555642

Now Putin is threatening Google for reporting on the “illegal” protests.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1V10BY
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s state communications watchdog has asked Google (GOOGL.O) to stop advertising “illegal mass events” on its YouTube video platform, it said on Sunday.
It must be working:

Page Not Found
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's an interesting story going on in Italy where their conservative party has been exposed as having colluded and been interfered with by Russia and Putin. A recording came out where they were discussing how to funnel longer from Russia to the conservative party. Many similarities to the US GOP situation.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/world/e ... story.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Page Not Found
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-pro ... 1565556427
I was missing the last digit.

Up to 60,000 people reportedly gathered in the rain to demand fair elections.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49305129
Many Muscovites are unhappy that opposition candidates have been banned from running in municipal elections in September, but anger has increased after apparent incidences of police brutality in previous weeks.

Opposition politician, Lyubov Sobol, an ally of Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny, was detained by police ahead of the protest.
Around 600 people were arrested after an unauthorised protest last weekend, amid reports of police violence. More than 1,000 were detained the week before.

https://www.voanews.com/europe/france-g ... -crackdown
PARIS - France and Germany on Sunday condemned a Russian police crackdown on a banned opposition rally that saw hundreds detained, with Paris criticizing an "excessive use of force" after a second weekend of protests over the exclusion of opposition candidates from local Moscow polls next month.

Berlin said the police action on Saturday "violated" Russia's international obligations and undermines the right to fair elections in the country.

A French foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement that Paris "insists on freedom of expression in all its forms, including that of demonstrating peacefully and taking part in free and transparent elections."

Berlin condemned "the repeated interference in the guaranteed right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression" which "violates Russia's international obligations and strongly questions the right to free and fair elections".

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Crazy idea. Let’s start a Go Fund Me account. All the proceeds go to Trump if he agrees to resign. If he doesn’t agree all the funds go to Planned Parenthood.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm not interested in paying the bastard to resign. Hasn't daddy given him enough already? Just a little over a year remaining...

Ask me again after the election if somehow our country is dumb enough to re-elect him and I may change my tune.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hear you. I think they might be dumb enough. We prove it every day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think, contrary to current conventional wisdom, that Biden is actually the most likely Dem candidate to be beaten by Trump. He's old, he stumbles and gaffes every time he is on stage, and he doesn't have ideas and policies that actually excite many Dems to rush to the polls. He's actually an objectively much worse politician than Hillary Clinton; the only 'benefit' he has over her is that he is male. I think Trump would eat him alive and would win re-election if he's the nominee.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I feel like Biden's gotten "old" since 2016 - like old age has hit him.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden is not my first choice either. I would still vote for him over Trump because Biden isn’t evil and Trump is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like pretty much everything Bernie Sanders stands for morally, but I'm not sure he's the right person to be president at this time. My hope is that the DNC doesn't fuck over their constituents again by forcing Biden into the presidential race and Elizabeth Warren wins the nomination. I think a Warren/Sanders ticket has the best shot at overcoming the Trump/Putin re-election.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Not sure why the 1st criteria in the democratic primaries is elect-ability. It seems to me that a centralist candidate would attract both democrats, independents, and moderate leaning republicans. There has to be candidates besides Biden (who I think is too old) that could fill that void, right?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:41 am
Not sure why the 1st criteria in the democratic primaries is elect-ability. It seems to me that a centralist candidate would attract both democrats, independents, and moderate leaning republicans. There has to be candidates besides Biden (who I think is too old) that could fill that void, right?
Kamala Harris is considered to be the other major moderate Dem candidate. Pete Buttigieg is also considered moderate. Most of the other moderates are doing poorly in the race, such as Bennett, Delaney, and Hickenlooper (dropped out).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I consider myself a moderate and didn’t like those guys (Bennett, Delaney, and Hickenlooper). I am not excited about any Democrat candidate except maybe Tulsi and she has no shot. I will be reluctantly voting for whoever gets the Dem nomination. I do like Buttigieg. Him and Tusli are the only ones that I believe have their heads screwed on straight. I don’t think enough Americans are willing to vote for a gay man though. Biden, Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Harris, Klobuchar, O’Rourke come across to me as people that just want to become President out of ego. Warren, and Sanders seem really passionate about fixing things but, I am not 100% sold on what they are selling.

As long as Trump is defeated I will be happier about our current situation but, the country will be just as divided and corporate lobbyists will still run the country.

I watched Bill Maher and got a kick out of him making fun of Hickenlooper. “Hickenlooper dropped out of the race today. I guess he will go back to looping Hickens.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 am
I consider myself a moderate and didn’t like those guys (Bennett, Delaney, and Hickenlooper). I am not excited about any Democrat candidate except maybe Tulsi and she has no shot. I will be reluctantly voting for whoever gets the Dem nomination. I do like Buttigieg. Him and Tusli are the only ones that I believe have their heads screwed on straight. I don’t think enough Americans are willing to vote for a gay man though. Biden, Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Harris, Klobuchar, O’Rourke come across to me as people that just want to become President out of ego. Warren, and Sanders seem really passionate about fixing things but, I am not 100% sold on what they are selling.

As long as Trump is defeated I will be happier about our current situation but, the country will be just as divided and corporate lobbyists will still run the country.

I watched Bill Maher and got a kick out of him making fun of Hickenlooper. “Hickenlooper dropped out of the race today. I guess he will go back to looping Hickens.”
Dack: What are some of the most important political issues to you? What do you especially like about Buttigieg and Gabbard? What do you wish the candidates focused on more?