Legendary Phoenix Suns broadcaster Al McCoy returning for 48th season with team in 2019

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Legendary Phoenix Suns broadcaster Al McCoy returning for 48th season with team in 2019

Post by Superbone »

This deserves it's own thread. Al is 86 years young.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 066467001/
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: Legendary Phoenix Suns broadcaster Al McCoy returning for 48th season with team in 2019

Post by Superbone »

Let's start winning some games again for Al.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: Legendary Phoenix Suns broadcaster Al McCoy returning for 48th season with team in 2019

Post by Superbone »

There are some great highlights here:

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't know how he does it at 86.

Let's hope he does it as long as he wants, because Suns basketball won't be the same when he does eventually retire.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Honestly as my eyes started to see this thread title, my heart sank because I thought the end of the thread title was going to be, "has died." I'm really glad to hear that he's still going strong and will come back for another season. I hope the guy is making time to enjoy himself and doesn't just work himself until his last day on earth.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Re: Legendary Phoenix Suns br…
Is what I saw and I also assumed the worst. Whew.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Honestly as my eyes started to see this thread title, my heart sank because I thought the end of the thread title was going to be, "has died." I'm really glad to hear that he's still going strong and will come back for another season. I hope the guy is making time to enjoy himself and doesn't just work himself until his last day on earth.
I think he is still enjoying himself

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
And I imagine it’s a part-time job at this point. I don’t know everything the job entails, but I don’t see how it fills 40 hours a week.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I wish he still did tv. I loved listening to him call the suns games as a kid. At the time I assumed all broadcasters were that good. I was wrong.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do you guys think that he looked at this team and said that it seems like a team that he will enjoy broadcasting for? I mean if they ran back the team from last year, I kind of think he would have hung it up.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 am
Do you guys think that he looked at this team and said that it seems like a team that he will enjoy broadcasting for? I mean if they ran back the team from last year, I kind of think he would have hung it up.
I think it definitely helps. I think he also enjoys it and likes being around the game. He also probably like the idea better than the alternative.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I thought that too. He’s up there in age for sure. I am glad he is returning. From what I have seen in life observing other people and family members, retirement is the kiss of death. When you mo longer have a job, you sort of lose your reason for being and people go down hill fast. It will be sad to see him eventually retire without ever getting to witness a Suns Championship.

To bad there isn’t an option when recording Suns games to choose Al’s coverage of the game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:51 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
And I imagine it’s a part-time job at this point. I don’t know everything the job entails, but I don’t see how it fills 40 hours a week.
for home games, sure. But away games and the travel would easily fill that up. I think the travel is what would keep him busy and a bit active.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I thought that too. He’s up there in age for sure. I am glad he is returning. From what I have seen in life observing other people and family members, retirement is the kiss of death. When you mo longer have a job, you sort of lose your reason for being and people go down hill fast. It will be sad to see him eventually retire without ever getting to witness a Suns Championship.

To bad there isn’t an option when recording Suns games to choose Al’s coverage of the game.
I would happily pay money to robert sarver to make this happen. Too bad there isn't a premium league pass option.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is great :) :)

I came across .net early 2000s and that was still when internet speeds down here were dial up and streaming sites weren't an option. I used to just follow ESPN play by play during games and one night I saw someone post a KTAR link on here.
Best thing ever was tuning in that night and made some of those Nash years even more fun for me, had to be from like '03 or so cuz Joe was still here.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I believe it's a league-wide edict that simulcasts went away.

I would love to see them again too, and I would love to know their reasoning for doing away with them, so I can be more precise in my bitching!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Honestly I've kind of been avoiding Suns news and even this site the last couple of weeks on purpose, not wanting to see that Al McCoy decided to retire. That's how scared I was. This is a wonderful relief, Al is one of my lifelong heroes. Like I said once before, I just hope he never quits early because of the state of the team.

I always sync up Al McCoy to my TV broadcast and mute the TV.

Here's a simple way to do it for those who live in Arizona and can get Suns broadcasts on an actual radio:

1. Download Audio Delay onto your computer. It's free software: https://www.fountainware.com/Products/A ... /index.htm

2. Use a standard aux cord (3.5 mm male-to-male audio cable)

3. Plug one end into your radio's headphone jack and the other end into your mic/line-in or all-purpose audio jack on your computer.

4. When your computer asks what you plugged in, tell it "line-in."

5. Set the Audio Delay to whatever seconds needed in order to sync with the TV broadcast

...and enjoy!

I do this for Cardinals games as well, to hear Dave Pasch and Ron Wolfley call the game.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.