Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not sure how you can make that proclamation before he's played his first NBA game.
Let’s say you had the first pick this year, who on that list would you have traded it for?
Doncic.
Is there anyone else? There’s an argument for Doncic, but NO would have said no to any other player on this list without question. That means at worst he’s 2nd on this list. He hasn’t played yet, but there’s a very real possibility that next year at this time it would be laughable to think we ever questioned his position on the list.
Sure but there is also a very real possibility that at this time next year 5 or 6 players on that list could be valued higher too. You can easily argue that Ayton was more valued before he played his first NBA game than he is at the moment.
Maybe, but Ayton was never considered a consensus #1 pick in his own draft class, much less a generation.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm
Now Nick Friedell calls out Devin for not saving Team USA.
I don't know everything, but I do know 2 things:
  • When Team USA wins, someone must be to blame for not winning winnginly enough. Start the witch hunt!
  • No team full of NBA starters is accountable for their own performance. Devin Booker is responsible for the play of all other American basketball players.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:

Let’s say you had the first pick this year, who on that list would you have traded it for?
Doncic.
Is there anyone else? There’s an argument for Doncic, but NO would have said no to any other player on this list without question. That means at worst he’s 2nd on this list. He hasn’t played yet, but there’s a very real possibility that next year at this time it would be laughable to think we ever questioned his position on the list.
Sure but there is also a very real possibility that at this time next year 5 or 6 players on that list could be valued higher too. You can easily argue that Ayton was more valued before he played his first NBA game than he is at the moment.
Maybe, but Ayton was never considered a consensus #1 pick in his own draft class, much less a generation.
Ayton was the consensus #1 pick, but he wasn't the overwhelming #1 pick Williamson, Simmons, James or Davis were. By definition, consensus = accepted choice of the majority. Ayton was clearly the #1 pick, although Docic and Bagley had their supporters. Just not as many.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Doncic.
Ayton was the consensus #1 pick, but he wasn't the overwhelming #1 pick Williamson, Simmons, James or Davis were. By definition, consensus = accepted choice of the majority. Ayton was clearly the #1 pick, although Docic and Bagley had their supporters. Just not as many.
Fair. I shouldn't have used "consensus." If all 30 teams had a choice at #1 last year, many would not have chosen Ayton. I don't see any of the 30 passing on Zion.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And I wouldn't be so quick to judge all these young players after one season at a very young age. I'm reminded of the 1977 draft class when Walter Davis was rookie of the year (24.2 PPG), was the only rookie in the All-Star Game and was 2nd Team All-NBA. David remained a terrific player, but his fellow 1977 draft choices Bernard King, Jack Sikma and Marques Johnson are all in the Hall of Fame now despite him getting off to a quicker start.

I think we'll look back at the top of the 2018 draft as a very good group, with Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Jackson and Young all eventually becoming All-Star caliber players.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

I assume the drug issues and testifying against his teammates may have as much to do with that as anything.

And I agree that how they are judged today does not mean anyone is right or wrong long-term--it is just how they are valued as of right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not sure how you can make that proclamation before he's played his first NBA game.
Doncic.
That’s a real possibility for anyone on the list. Regardless of whether they’ve played in the nba. I don’t see why Zion should be dropped just because he hasn’t played in the nba yet. It’s a projection on who will be the best player in their prime. There’s a good chance that is Zion. He’s the best college basketball player we’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, Bill Walton is probably the best college player I've ever seen (I was too young to watch Alcindor and not born when Robertson played), and Williamson didn't even okay a full season, but I will grant you he was very impressive. I think he'll be a Charles Barkley type with a better jump shot and better conditioning. Will he be as dominating around the basket? Time will tell.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:25 am
Well, Bill Walton is probably the best college player I've ever seen (I was too young to watch Alcindor and not born when Robertson played), and Williamson didn't even okay a full season, but I will grant you he was very impressive. I think he'll be a Charles Barkley type with a better jump shot and better conditioning. Will he be as dominating around the basket? Time will tell.
Zion won't be as good a rebounder as Barkley. Would not be surprised if he averaged below 10 a game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:25 am
Maybe best freshman would be a better way to put it. Zion had by far the highest efficiency rating for a college player, but those numbers only go back to like 2008, so I may have gone a bit to far saying ever.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am
In2ition wrote:
  • When Team USA wins, someone must be to blame for not winning winnginly enough. Start the witch hunt!
  • No team full of NBA starters is accountable for their own performance. Devin Booker is responsible for the play of all other American basketball players.
Is it the same media people who call booker Empty stats garbage during the nba season that are now on him for not being team USAs savior?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I think I'm the only one in the Caribbean on the forum , I might be wrong but yes hurricane season is always fingers crossed time.
I came on just to see what you guys might have posted re: Ayton/Bahamas and surprised to not see anything unless it's in some other thread. Anyways

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/1170062082571689986

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:36 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am
In2ition wrote:
Is it the same media people who call booker Empty stats garbage during the nba season that are now on him for not being team USAs savior?
This is about the coastal media doing everything they can to rob the flyover country of its talent. It is not that they disrespect Booker. They disrespect the Suns (easy to do right now) and think Booker should want to ask out and join the Lakers, Clippers, GS, NY, BK, etc. If you listen to them talk, you can hear it. Book should play for the USA and not worry about the Suns because the Suns are worthless.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good on Westphal. He's before my time (other than his stint as a Suns coach) but I know he had a big impact here. It's always nice to see a Sun get in the Hall.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm
I think I'm the only one in the Caribbean on the forum , I might be wrong but yes hurricane season is always fingers crossed time.
I came on just to see what you guys might have posted re: Ayton/Bahamas and surprised to not see anything unless it's in some other thread. Anyways

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/1170062082571689986

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1864&start=2280#p155617

How are you doing? Has it affected you?
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good to see!

"Be Legendary."