The Next Suns Power Forward

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Which of these is most appealing?

Kevin Love for Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric
No votes
Blake Griffin for Tyler Johnson, Dario Saric, Cam Johnson, Frank Kaminsky, 2020 top 8-protected 1st rounder (becomes 2021 unprotected)
9%
Aaron Gordon for Tyler Johnson, Cam Johnson, 2020 top 8-protected 1st rounder (becomes 2021 unprotected), 2 second rounders
13%
Ride or Die with The Homie Dario
78%

Total votes: 23

Shabazz

The Next Suns Power Forward

Post by Shabazz »

There are 3 Power Forwards currently mentioned as most likely to become available should their teams get off to slow starts. Which of them would be most appealing, assuming they cost what's in the poll question?

Here are their contract details:

Kevin Love - 4 years/$120M remaining ($29M, $31M, $31M, $29M)
Blake Griffin - 3 years/$110M remaining ($34M, $37M, $39M, last year is a PO)
Aaron Gordon - 3 years/$59M remaining ($21M, $19M, $17M)

Flagrant Fowl

Re: The Next Suns Power Forward

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Dario Saric is going to surprise a lot of casuals this year.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 pm
Dario Saric is going to surprise a lot of casuals this year.
Hope so. I'm very optimistic.

And I still, for the life of me, can't understand this obsession with Aaron Gordon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I went with Blake because he TJ and Saric are expiring this year anyway, and no way Blake gives us less than Cam and Frank over the next 2-3 years. Only thing that makes me think it is an over pay if Detroit wants to get out from under his contract is the pick. But you have to outbid other folks, and nobody will see TJ and Frank as good players.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Blake can't stay healthy and really needs the ball to be effective. That's a lot of money tied up between him, Booker and Ayton. I'd rather let TJ go at the end of the year and try and re-sign Saric (provided he proves himself) for half Blake's money.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'd bring in any one of those guys for half of what they are getting paid.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 am
Blake can't stay healthy and really needs the ball to be effective. That's a lot of money tied up between him, Booker and Ayton. I'd rather let TJ go at the end of the year and try and re-sign Saric (provided he proves himself) for half Blake's money.
I would love for Dario to prove to the league why he should be a targeted FA next summer.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hoping he doesn't break out with us and sign for big money elsewhere leaving us to fill that void again. He's a prototype 4 imo, especially opposite a guy like Ayton.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Hefty prices in the poll for any of this guys. Specially Gordon

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 am
And I still, for the life of me, can't understand this obsession with Aaron Gordon.
He's a guy that does everything pretty well, but is great at nothing. However, he's younger than Cam Johnson so he has some upside left. His contract is also incredibly reasonable.

He's not as good of a shooter as Saric, but is better at getting his own offense and is a better defender and rebounder, so he may be a better fit next to Ayton. Their passing skills are similar.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 am
He's a guy that does everything pretty well, but is great at nothing. However, he's younger than Cam Johnson so he has some upside left. His contract is also incredibly reasonable.

He's not as good of a shooter as Saric, but is better at getting his own offense and is a better defender and rebounder, so he may be a better fit next to Ayton. Their passing skills are similar.
Not a knock on Gordon, but Saric is a better rebounder than people think. He doesn't get many offensive rebounds because he's not banging down low a lot, but he does get his share of defensive rebounds. About the same percentage as Gordon.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saric is a basketball player, Gordon plays basketball. Maybe it's his athleticism or he's a UA guy but Suns fans have this infatuation with Gordon. He's a nice player, great athlete but highly overrated imo.

And Saric's rebounds per 36 are actually higher than Gordon's. I also don't think Gordon's a better offensive player than Saric. He's like a cross between Shawn and Amar'e.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we’re borderline .500 and have a shot at the playoffs, I could get behind Blake. He’s an injury risk, but he’s a pretty solid fit at the 4 for us. I went with sticking with Dario though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

None of the above? I like Love, but I think with Saric we hopefully don't need him. And I don't think I would want any of those guys on their current contracts. Gordon, maybe, but if he's worth that deal why would they trade him? The other two are old vets so you can see the team wanting to jettison the big contract. But if Gordon is balling well, why would Orlando then dump him to a team like Phoenix?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I had someone recently try to tell me that Gordon is better than Booker.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Did you punch them right in their stupid face?

SDC

Post by SDC »

the team needs one more veteran backup guard, not a power forward.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
He's better than Devin Booker who played at Clemson and never made it to the NBA.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 pm
In2ition wrote:
Did you punch them right in their stupid face?
No lol, it was online somewhere. Idk if it was on youtube, realgm or twitter. I think I tried to figure out why they would possibly say that, since I'm not totally convinced that he's a huge upgrade over Saric.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

At age 29, Blake Griffin has played more games (75) than any season since 2013-14, while scoring a career high 24.5ppg on his best 3pt shooting at 36% on huge volume for a PF (7 attempts per game, top15 in the league). Not perfect because he is not a good defender and is not a relevant rebounder anymore, but he's got handles, he can go inside-outside and he can pass.

He even said PHX is one of his top3 cities to play basketball. If Griffin cost only what's in this poll, you have to absolutely do it despite of his contract and injury history. The guy is a tremendous talent and is in his prime while showing he can adapt both to the new style of game and to his own physical limitations.

Aaron Gordon, for the price listed, would also be a nice acquisition, although we shouldn't expect a star (his salary is not on that level, so it's ok). Stil, if I want to make a real leap, I go with Griffin first. His age does not align with Booker or the other pieces, but at some point you need to see beyond that and realize kids don't win in the NBA.

2020 Kevin Love is not worth discussing for these Phoenix Suns.