Game Day (Preseason): Timberwolves (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Tues 10/8/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Timberwolves (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Tues 10/8/19

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:43 am
What was the difference for Okobo last night? He looked like he was in over his head in summer league.
Coaching, having a better team around him, low expectations.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 pm
What a fun game. I loved watching Rubio run the offense. He is just what we have needed. And Jerome was great, too! I haven't had much of an expectation from him so far but wow. He seemed so poised for a rookie PG. I wanted to see more from Saric. Cam Johnson, eh, I want to root for the kid but I fear people will be making fun of that pick all year. Oh well. This is a much improved team and already way more fun to watch than last year's. Go Suns!
Cam was fine. He played pretty well overall, even on the defensive end. Let the haters hate, they will be eating crow soon and offering a mea culpa soon enough.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a box score for the game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401163134

I love those 13 big rebounds for Ayton. Okobo's 13 points in 13 minutes also really stands out. Kaminsky was more active than I thought he'd be. Glad Coach didn't play the starters big minutes in a meaningless game, but it was still good to see them out there playing a bit.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ayton per 36 minutes:

31.0 points, 22.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.4 blocks on 64.3% FG.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 am
Ayton per 36 minutes:

31.0 points, 22.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.4 blocks on 64.3% FG.
Zion Williamson per 36 minutes:
20 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 blocks on 46.2% FG (57% FT).

But he had some sweet dunks! I wish Ayton played like Zion! Zion > Ayton!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Solid insight in this Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/7SOLpod/status/1181900357187694592

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Clearly we're better than the last few seasons. It should've been obvious since they've actually rostered a team of adults.

This is a positive start in the right direction, but I'm afraid that we're one Rubio injury away from crumbling. He's everything to this team from a chemistry standpoint.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Clearly we're better than the last few seasons. It should've been obvious since they've actually rostered a team of adults.

This is a positive start in the right direction, but I'm afraid that we're one Rubio injury away from crumbling. He's everything to this team from a chemistry standpoint.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. An injury to him wouldn’t be good, but how exactly is he everything to our team chemistry?

I think that sells a lot of players/coaches short. Monty, Oubre, Booker, Baynes, Tyler...these guys all bring good chemistry to the table. Young guys like Cam, Ty, and Mikal are also the right kind of basketball players. They do the right thing on and off the court.

I have to assume you mean on court chemistry? We’d take a bigger hit there, but I think you’d see Tyler slide into the starting pg role and that lineup last year, albeit in a very small sample size, had good chemistry and played well.

I hope Rubio doesn’t get hurt, but he’s not the only reason we’ll be better than last year.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just about every team is one injury away from going downhill. Take away a star player from any team and they most likely falter some. Even of Rubio gets injured I would say we are still better off than last year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:09 pm
Just about every team is one injury away from going downhill. Take away a star player from any team and they most likely falter some. Even of Rubio gets injured I would say we are still better off than last year.
I agree with this. We just got Rubio and have played one preseason game with him; it's hard to say that we are a fragile team one Rubio injury away from ruin. Even if Rubio did go down, we would have other guys step up, such as Ty Jerome and Okobo and Booker and Tyler Johnson. We'd get by.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Interesting responses. Not really how I see it at all.

From my couch, Rubio is the most important player on this team right now. Booker is the highest paid and most talented, but Rubio is the only guy who has at least as much authority as him, and probably more in a lot of on-court scenarios. If Rubio were to miss, say 4 weeks, I think this team would really struggle and we'd see flashbacks of recent seasons. More so than if they lost Booker or Ayton for the same amount of time.

Ty Jerome, Okobo, Tyler Johnson, Booker; none of them the brain of a PG. (Maybe Jerome, but we're way too early to make a call on him.) None of them know how to consistently run a team well. That's what I'm talking about with Rubio and chemistry. He's the only guy on the roster who can fill that role night in and out. We'll get by on load management nights, but I'm terrified to see the outcome of a prolonged absence.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Interesting responses. Not really how I see it at all.

From my couch, Rubio is the most important player on this team right now. Booker is the highest paid and most talented, but Rubio is the only guy who has at least as much authority as him, and probably more in a lot of on-court scenarios. If Rubio were to miss, say 4 weeks, I think this team would really struggle and we'd see flashbacks of recent seasons. More so than if they lost Booker or Ayton for the same amount of time.

Ty Jerome, Okobo, Tyler Johnson, Booker; none of them the brain of a PG. (Maybe Jerome, but we're way too early to make a call on him.) None of them know how to consistently run a team well. That's what I'm talking about with Rubio and chemistry. He's the only guy on the roster who can fill that role night in and out. We'll get by on load management nights, but I'm terrified to see the outcome of a prolonged absence.
Maybe you are right, but we could see a flashback like that stretch last year where they won 6 of 12 when Tyler was the PG beating the Heat in Miami, Bucks, GSW in Oakland and the Lakers.

I think Jerome wins the backup spot and has the pedigree and vision to be that PG. Also, I just don't see us doing "load management nights", trying to win each game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

For Cap:

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 pm
What IS the best way to make a long bet on the Suns? Playoffs seems like a good risk-reward kind of bet -- and I'm wondering how to do it.
According to https://www.oddschecker.com/us/basketba ... e-playoffs, FanDuel is offering +1300 on the Suns to make the playoffs.

That actually strikes me as an attractive bet.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
What IS the best way to make a long bet on the Suns? Playoffs seems like a good risk-reward kind of bet -- and I'm wondering how to do it.
According to https://www.oddschecker.com/us/basketba ... e-playoffs, FanDuel is offering +1300 on the Suns to make the playoffs.

So if I bet 250, I'd walk away with 3500?! Wow.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

How would I actually make that bet though? Online? Go to Vegas? I've never bet before.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

i'd make that bet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Al McCoy calling the Rubio to Ayton lob. He sounds as good as ever:

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

sad that there are no full game highlights for this.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm
Cap wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

So if I bet 250, I'd walk away with 3500?! Wow.
I'm going to bet a bit on the Suns making the playoffs. Thanks!