Oubre or Mikal Bridges as starting small forward?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Oubre or Mikal Bridges as starting small forward?

Post by SDC »

If Oubre is starting, he'll be the fifth option behind

1) Booker 2) Ayton 3) Rubio (he controls who gets the ball) 4) Saric 5) Oubre

If Kelly is the 6th man, he is the first option on offense against the other teams' second unit.

I think Mikal Bridges is a better fit as the 5th option in the starting 5. No plays are run for him. He's a complementary player who only needs to shoot when open and play hard defense.

to make it more palatable for oubre to come off the bench, guarantee him 30 minutes a night (or play him more minutes than saric or bridges per game).

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Oubre or Mikal Bridges as starting small forward?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think anyone who watches this team will agree that Oubre should come off of the bench. But that's not how the NBA works.

Bridges is a second year player and Oubre just signed a fairly high 2-year contract. Optics dictate that it's in the best interest of the front office and Oubre to show that he's worth that contract.

That doesn't mean the opening night starters will remain the same for 82 games, so we will likely see Oubre come off of the bench at some point. The important factor will be if it is a strategy that improves the team or not.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I see where this is coming from, my only issue with Oubre off the bench is the potential for hero-ball. Playing with the starters kind of keeps him in check on offense. He may get a little too out of control playing with Carter, Jerome, Frank, Baynes, etc. Though I do think we could use the slashing and athleticism with the 2nd unit and Bridges guarding the better perimeter swing may help Book as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You don't sign Oubre to a big $$$ contract and then bench him for a second-year player. Even if Bridges ends up better, I think you have to give Oubre his 1-2 years as the starter. That's the choice we made.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 am
You don't sign Oubre to a big $$$ contract and then bench him for a second-year player. Even if Bridges ends up better, I think you have to give Oubre his 1-2 years as the starter. That's the choice we made.
We’re talking about using him as the sixth man, not reducing his minutes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If you make player rotation decisions based on $$ spent instead of what is best for the outcome on the court, you have already lost.

carey

Post by carey »

I've been saying since before he re-signed that he makes more sense as a super 6th-man. We need a little more defense with the starters and we need a little more athleticism with the 2nd unit. Makes sense to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Oubre starts until the All-Star Break, period. And frankly Bridges needs this time to show everyone that he deserves the starting spot over Oubre
That is my scenario. Bridges is smart enough to wait for his time. Next year he plays for best defensive player in the NBA
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's an interesting strategic decision.

On the court, I like Bridges better as the starter, and like Oubre better with the second unit.

There may be off court considerations. You've got to find enough minutes to keep both Oubre's and Brindges' trade value high in case you need to trade them, and ideally also find time to let Cam prove he can play at this level.

If Cam is as good as he has looked int he preseason, and Bridges continues to be our best defender and steady on offense, we may want to trade Oubre for an athletic 4.

If Oubre's 3pt shot or passing improves, we may look to trade one of the other guys. Gotta keep improving that roster balance.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

As many of you have said, in a perfect world, you start Bridges and bring Oubre off the bench. Still give them both 28-30 minutes. They also both are probably often on the court to close the game. I actually don’t think Oubre would have a problem coming off the bench if we explain the reasoning. We need his scoring/athleticism with the bench unit. He’ll still get his 30 minutes, still close the game on the court.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

If Oubre continues to play the way he's played during preseason, I'd rather start Okobo at the 3 TBH. Dude's really making me wish we'd kept my avatar instead. Was the end of last year just Contract Year Kelly?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 am
If you make player rotation decisions based on $$ spent instead of what is best for the outcome on the court, you have already lost.
Totally agree.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

OE32 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 am
If Oubre continues to play the way he's played during preseason, I'd rather start Okobo at the 3 TBH. Dude's really making me wish we'd kept my avatar instead. Was the end of last year just Contract Year Kelly?
I think maybe just don’t make any conclusions based off 3 preseason games.

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:
That's a spicy meatball!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

OE32 wrote:
Okobo? yikes

I just hope he continues to develop into something. He's had flashes here and there, but...no consistency yet.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

OE32 wrote:
Very possible, but even I don't think so. I just think Oubre is out of rhythm. He'll bring the passion every night, and I think his timing will improve.

Even at best, though, he a guy who gambles on defense and attacks the rim without much thought of passing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
That's not quite what I meant in my post. I just meant that they like Oubre enough to give him a big contract. And if you like the guy that much, you can't change your mind after 4 preseason games where the dude has an injured hand and then bench him for the season. That is shortsighted and silly. You shouldn't sign a guy to a $20m/year deal and then give up on them after four meaningless injured games.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Indy wrote:
That's not quite what I meant in my post. I just meant that they like Oubre enough to give him a big contract. And if you like the guy that much, you can't change your mind after 4 preseason games where the dude has an injured hand and then bench him for the season. That is shortsighted and silly. You shouldn't sign a guy to a $20m/year deal and then give up on them after four meaningless injured games.
Using him as a sixth man isn’t giving up on him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:
Using him as a sixth man isn’t giving up on him.
Tell that to Eddie Johnson.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:
I get what you're saying. An investment in a player is also a commitment to that player, and you've got to give that player a fair chance to live up to that investment. But it's not what the Suns do. Just ask Warren or Len or Dragic, etc etc.

You could make a similar case for Bridges. They've invested a lot in him, and he earned the starting spot last year only to have the Suns bring in Oubre and Cam. You could make a similar argument for Cam as an investment who might not get regular playing time despite being a lottery pick who has played well in the preseason.