Oubre or Mikal Bridges as starting small forward?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Oubre or Mikal Bridges as starting small forward?

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:31 pm
Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 am
If you make player rotation decisions based on $$ spent instead of what is best for the outcome on the court, you have already lost.
That's not quite what I meant in my post. I just meant that they like Oubre enough to give him a big contract. And if you like the guy that much, you can't change your mind after 4 preseason games where the dude has an injured hand and then bench him for the season. That is shortsighted and silly. You shouldn't sign a guy to a $20m/year deal and then give up on them after four meaningless injured games.
Using him as a sixth man isn’t giving up on him.
Tell that to Eddie Johnson.
I’ll let Manu Ginobili explain it to him.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Is there actually a controversy right now? Has Oubre said anything to indicate that he refuses to come off the bench? I get that we have three decent options at small forward, but is there an actual problem we are dealing with?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:31 pm
Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:
If you make player rotation decisions based on $$ spent instead of what is best for the outcome on the court, you have already lost.
That's not quite what I meant in my post. I just meant that they like Oubre enough to give him a big contract. And if you like the guy that much, you can't change your mind after 4 preseason games where the dude has an injured hand and then bench him for the season. That is shortsighted and silly. You shouldn't sign a guy to a $20m/year deal and then give up on them after four meaningless injured games.
Using him as a sixth man isn’t giving up on him.
Tell that to Eddie Johnson.
I’ll let Manu Ginobili explain it to him.
:D
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:54 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:
I get what you're saying. An investment in a player is also a commitment to that player, and you've got to give that player a fair chance to live up to that investment. But it's not what the Suns do. Just ask Warren or Len or Dragic, etc etc.

You could make a similar case for Bridges. They've invested a lot in him, and he earned the starting spot last year only to have the Suns bring in Oubre and Cam. You could make a similar argument for Cam as an investment who might not get regular playing time despite being a lottery pick who has played well in the preseason.
We have different management, a different Head Coach and his all new staff, so let’s take a pause before saying “that’s not what the Suns do”, as neither one was here when the team was dealing with all those guys you mentioned. Besides that, is the first time in years that we have viable options aligned on every one of those positions, specially at HC. Monty is not a first timer willing to bend over management or ownership pressures.

And you only commit beyond drafting them to extraordinary rookies. Bridges and Cam have nothing to do with Oubre in terms of team commitment, they were drafted, not recluted to resign with us, so they are here to learn, develop and EARN his way to rotation minutes. Even if they are nice early surprises, you give too much power to an slightly above average rookie, and you get morrised. But again, the guys who made that terrible judgement call are no longer here.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

So it's Oubre this season, huh? There's always one guy who the board is split on.

Some of y'all are overly critical and some are overly defensive of the guy.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 am
So it's Oubre this season, huh? There's always one guy who the board is split on.

Which group are you in?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I love Oubre's attitude and swagger. I am not sure that means wins on the court, but I am willing to see what happens. My hope is that his level of skill/performance on the court matches the level of his swagger and his dreamy eyes.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 am

Which group are you in?
Depends on how good he played yesterday. :lol:

Nah. I like Oubre. I think he's a guy we really need this season. But I also have a dream in which things go south in Houston and we trade Oubre for Clint Capela. I'm more interested in our small forwards as assets than players this season. We've got to keep building.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Who would you guys prefer from the two of Oubre and Bogdan Bogdanovic? I prefer Bogdan, Oubre is younger but can he be better in the long run than BB?
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am glad there is sort of controversy. That’s better than having one guy who has the spot nailed down and nobody else really competing for the job because they suck. I call two guys competing for the same job motivation for them and a good problem for a coach....unless it gets personal with them but, I don’t see that with these guys.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Atreides wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Who would you guys prefer from the two of Oubre and Bogdan Bogdanovic? I prefer Bogdan, Oubre is younger but can he be better in the long run than BB?
Oubre because I heard Bogdan has a max extension offer from the Kings.

I think Oubre is a better fit for the team as constructed. We need his personality and athleticism.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 pm
Atreides wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Oubre because I heard Bogdan has a max extension offer from the Kings.

I think Oubre is a better fit for the team as constructed. We need his personality and athleticism.
This. And max extension for Bogdan? Wow.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The max extension the Kings can offer him right now is 4 years, 52ish mil.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:13 pm
Oh, OK. So not a Booker type max extension. Quite the difference! Thanks for the clarification.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:13 pm
I did not know that. That's a very important clarification.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Why is that considered a max extension? I don't get it... I guess the cap rules have gotten way too complicated way too quickly. I can't help but think he can get a bigger offer on the open market...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it has something to do with being a 2nd rounder and/or signing a 3 year extension in 2017. That's the max the Kings can give him right now or he can become an RFA in the summer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 pm
Why is that considered a max extension? I don't get it... I guess the cap rules have gotten way too complicated way too quickly. I can't help but think he can get a bigger offer on the open market...
I don't get it either. Wasn't Jokic drafted behind him? He's making over $27 mil this yr.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

He was actually a first round pick, but he didn’t come over right away and didn’t sign his original contract under the rookie scale. Because of that I think the Kings can only offer him a contract extension starting at 120% of his current salary. If he waits until he becomes a free agent, he can make a lot more. I can’t imagine he’d sign that deal before testing the market.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 pm
I don't get it either. Wasn't Jokic drafted behind him? He's making over $27 mil this yr.
I don’t think Jokic signed an extension. Denver turned down his last option year, which made him a restricted free agent and then they signed him to the max. I remember it being a controversy, because Denver could have kept him another year on a minimum salary deal, but he would have been completely unrestricted at the end of it. They chose to keep him happy and pay him early instead of risking him walking at the end of his rookie deal.