Game Day: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/14/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Game Day: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/14/19

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 am
I don't remember who said this, but the fact that we hit more threes in 1 preseason game than we did in the other 3 combined says something. Let's hope it is saying something about our potential versus saying something about blind squirrels.
I think it says that Rubio, Booker and Ayton are the problem. :twisted:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 am
I don't remember who said this, but the fact that we hit more threes in 1 preseason game than we did in the other 3 combined says something. Let's hope it is saying something about our potential versus saying something about blind squirrels.
I don't think blind squirrels could ever make 24 threes in a game while shooting over 50% on them. ;)
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Both Rubio and Ayton just look a little slow to me. Will they be able to turn it on in the regular season?

Kaminsky looks legit. He has been our best big the last few games. Can he keep it up in the regular season?

I'll catch the second half tomorrow.
I watched the first half with Al for Audio, and the second half today with the Denver guys. The Denver guys are some of the worst I've ever heard.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'll make these observations, but I don't think we can draw any conclusions yet.

Our 2nd or 3rd string or whatever cut the lead significantly with the Denver starters still in.

Oubre is still playing with the energy we need from him and his timing is getting better. His shot does look better, although that is totally subjective. When he misses on a wild drive, or fails to come up with a steal, he reminds me of Josh Jackson with Warren's passing skills.

Kaminsky dominated preseason for us. He was our best big in every game.

Ayton... he had a ton of plays where you could see he just wasn't sure what to expect. Looks like Analysis Paralysis to me. On one pick and roll with Rubio where Ayton rolled hard to the rim, then suddenly backed off when he was almost there. Rubio made a tough pass to him that was a little too low and Ayton bobbled it. I didn't think it was the pass or the catch that caused the turnover, it was Ayton being unsure if he should go hard or give Rubio space to work. On another possession, I saw his hands go up to catch a pass, then go back down and as he turned his head to see if he should roll to the basket, then his hands came back up... He just didn't know if he should be expecting to catch a pass at the top of the key, or if he should roll to the basket.

Cam continued to be steady and better than I thought he would be.

Bridges shot is concerning. I brushed off his lowing 3pt% last season because he was a rookie, but I just don't like his stroke. LOVE his defense and attitude. But I worry that he won't be an elite shooter.

Nice to see Okobo playing well. I hope he he can build on his game in the G league this season.

I love every minute Jalen Lacque is on the floor. Yeah, he had a mistake or two, but he just has good sense for the game and amazing athleticism. The NAZ suns are going to be super fun to watch this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Both Rubio and Ayton just look a little slow to me. Will they be able to turn it on in the regular season?

Kaminsky looks legit. He has been our best big the last few games. Can he keep it up in the regular season?

I watched the first half with Al for Audio, and the second half today with the Denver guys. The Denver guys are some of the worst I've ever heard.
The Denver players can do no wrong while the Suns did everything wrong. According to them.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:22 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm
O_Gardino wrote:

The Denver players can do no wrong while the Suns did everything wrong. According to them.
I was hoping for a comeback win, but it didn't work out. The Suns didn't deserve it, but it would have been interesting to hear the Denver guys talk about it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't mind if the home announcers are homers. They work for the team; they can be fans too. The Portland guys really didn't bother me much.

But the Denver guys were just assholes with big mouths and not much class. They didn't add any basketball insight or unique perspective. They just asserted that the players were wrong and dumb for making normal basketballs plays. Tons of ego and no content.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I didn't get to watch the game but saw this earlier and I can get used to seeing this kinda commitment from Booker. This makes me happy lol cause we all know he has to improve

https://twitter.com/7SOLpod/status/1184227052423008256

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:08 am
I know it's not realistic, but if I were James Jones, I'd be quietly fielding offers for Ayton. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not suggesting they should trade him tomorrow. He's just not untouchable in my eyes.

His lack of aggression and defensive awareness really bother me. I'm also not seeing the kind of improvement I was hoping for and I really question whether he's ever going to be an elite big man in the NBA.

Ultimately, I have doubts about him on a max contract in the future and I'm curious about the type of return the Suns could get for him in the next 12 months.
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read. He is a big man with one year of college and one year in the NBA under his belt. Shaq and Olojuwan were in college for 3 years. David Robinson was in college for 4 years and spent 2 years in the Navy before he stepped foot on an NBA court. As much as we want him to be the elite big man of the game right now, we have to give him at least 2 more years to see what we have.

Have some freaking patience.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You're basically saying that the Suns should lock him into a max contract before shows the ability to produce at that value. I'd just hate to see the Suns put themselves in that situation.

Again, I'm not saying trade him tomorrow or even this year. I'd just have him available for the right price if I were James Jones.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 pm
You're basically saying that the Suns should lock him into a max contract before shows the ability to produce at that value. I'd just hate to see the Suns put themselves in that situation.

Again, I'm not saying trade him tomorrow or even this year. I'd just have him available for the right price if I were James Jones.
What is the right price?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What is the right price?
The Anthony Davis package.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What is the right price?
In other words, he's safely in Phoenix :)

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Hermen wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What is the right price?
If Minny sucks I wonder if the suns dangle Ayton him and other proceed for KAT. Keeps booker happy. DARs dream is one step closer to reality. Minny save face somewhat by getting a young replacement for KAT

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:06 am
Hermen wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

What is the right price?
If Minny sucks I wonder if the suns dangle Ayton him and other proceed for KAT. Keeps booker happy. DARs dream is one step closer to reality. Minny save face somewhat by getting a young replacement for KAT
This is the kind of thing I'm imagining.

The odds are long, but there's a scenario playing out in another universe where Booker tells James Jones that it's either him or Ayton because it isn't working with both of them and Minnesota can't seem to get anywhere with KAT.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've definitely kicked around the Ayton-KAT thing and it's a no brainer for me if we can get him in PHX with Book. I'm still less high on DAR but Book and KAT's a no brainer. I don't think it'd be Book who'd go to Jones tho, it'd be a combo of Monty and Jones getting together and determining Ayton isn't the guy.

Also wonder if the league would look into tampering if KAT asked out of Minny to come here or just asked out and a deal was made for him to come here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't see Minny doing that deal even if we gave them our first rounder and Mikal in the package, too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Ayton but I would trade him for KAT in a microsecond.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They might do it if we also took that disastrous Wiggins contract. That’s a lot of money coming back though, not sure we could have the salaries to match two max contracts. We’d probably have to include Oubre. Tyler, Oubre, Ayton, 1st for KAT/Wiggins? Do we need to include more?