Suns News: Preseason 2019

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Preseason 2019

Post by Indy »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Playoffs...really Monty? That would be ..ucking miracle! But why not? You are man of god, so you should know about miracles.
I think we have a better chance at making the playoffs than finishing with the worst record in the West. Or at least an equal shot. ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Monty's right. The Suns shouldn't be a night off for any team this season. They should fight to win every game. They should believe that every game is winnable if they play well.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Man I don't get these quotes, especially when your team has just won 19 games last year. Why the talk? He is not like DA who can not contain himself while talking. No more talks please, just play consistent, hard fought basketball.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Playoffs...really Monty? That would be ..ucking miracle! But why not? You are man of god, so you should know about miracles.
You like the alternative better? "Yeah, we're not good enough to make the playoffs. We'll do our best but probably come up short. Nah, I'm sure of it."

OK, thanks Eeyore. You get paid to play basketball?

If you're getting paid to play in the NBA, you had better damn well think you're good enough to make the playoffs! You're not out of it until you're mathematically eliminated. You play your butt off every night and continue to get better game by game. That's the attitude you should have.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:17 pm
If you shoot for the moon, you are bound to land among the stars

I like that mentality, you have to have aspirations, no matter how unlikely, play for something more than one game.
Exactly.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:25 am
Sometimes, if you shoot for the moon, you blow up on the launch pad.
So, don't even bother trying then, right? Yeah, great way to go through life.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 pm
Democritus wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am
Just a random question for you guys. I know that we have improved our starting five and I'm hopeful this year. But what about the defensive end? Is there a starting 5 in the NBA which is worse defensively than our 5 guys? I think that aspect of our team will determine our position in April.
Atlanta for sure. I can’t imagine the wizards, hornets, or Cavs having competent defenses either.
I think those are all good examples. But I don't know if you could come up with a list worse than we are in the West. Maybe Memphis.
I don't know who it is yet but I'll write out the list for you after a month. My guess would be at least three teams worse than us at that point.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:20 am
Man I don't get these quotes, especially when your team has just won 19 games last year. Why the talk? He is not like DA who can not contain himself while talking. No more talks please, just play consistent, hard fought basketball.
He was asked a question and he answered it. It's as simple as that. You are reading way too much into it.
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Democritus wrote:
While the Jim Mora response would be the most honest one, and certainly the most memorable, it probably wouldn't go over very well with Sarver who is still trying to convince people they're building a winning teams.

(Hint: they're not. Ayton and Booker are overrated because of their awful defense and lethargic play on one half of the court).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:46 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Just saying. Sometimes fans tend to be homers who think everything is going to work out well.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Monty is saying these things. He must say them. It's in his best interest to say them.

But as a fan, with little at stake in the situation, being objective is how I keep my sanity with sports.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:51 pm
Democritus wrote:
While the Jim Mora response would be the most honest one, and certainly the most memorable, it probably wouldn't go over very well with Sarver who is still trying to convince people they're building a winning teams.

(Hint: they're not. Ayton and Booker are overrated because of their awful defense and lethargic play on one half of the court).

LOL That's gold worm....really made my night here... :)
How did Mora's team performed that year?
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:46 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Just saying. Sometimes fans tend to be homers who think everything is going to work out well.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Monty is saying these things. He must say them. It's in his best interest to say them.

But as a fan, with little at stake in the situation, being objective is how I keep my sanity with sports.
I get you. But he's saying it, not you. I don't think they're likely to make the playoffs either but I'm not going to rule it out at this point. In a month? Maybe... But I wouldn't expect any other answer from coach.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wow, Mora's team was 4-6 at the time in a league that only plays 16 games and only 6 out of 16 teams in each conference make the playoffs. You guys are already giving up when the record is 0-0? After filling nearly every major hole on the team and improving the team from top to bottom? You guys are all crazy if you've given up already.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:57 pm
But I wouldn't expect any other answer from coach.
This, one thousand times this.

You can lead a team by lowering the expectations, in such case, you are just an administrator of mediocrity. Part of my job every election year, is to take ordinary people and making high performance teams out of them. An specially key ingredient is to set High Performance goals for everyone, noy just allow them to sail passing by the posible. The better ones are challenged to rise to the top, the medium guys to scale up to the elite, the mildly bad ones are asked to at least get out of the low half an into middle class, and even with the worst of all of them, before taking harsh decisions, I challenge them to scape from the very bottom.

This team, every game, DO HAVE a shot at winning as long as we have Devin freaking Booker on the lineup. This guy has been fully capable of torching any defense wiith next to zero support in the past (on and off the court), so yeah, this year I’m not expecting championships or even playoff, but we should definitely must be competitive every night, no more games ended by the half after a disastrous series of 20-2 runs. and if we can build on being capable to win every given game, then playoff are within reach next year, perhaps even this one if the perfect storm hits on Phoenix.

You have to reach for higher goals every time you try something, even if you fail, you will likely still be better than you were to begin with.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The oddsmakers see the Suns as having something like a 5% chance to make the playoffs. It’s a long shot, but a realistic chance. Gotta go for it.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Of course, as a whole team just play and go for it in silence and persistency, even if the odds are against you. If the chance is really 5% to make the playoffs, then by talking about the playoffs now, you are risking your reputation and you may look like Earl Watson in December.
Last edited by Democritus on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The NBA media likes two kinds of teams: ones that were good last year, and ones that made splashy acquisitions. So they'll overrate a team like the Lakers or Nets, and they'll underrate a team that keeps its strong core intact like the Blazers, or a team that quietly gets incrementally better, like the Suns.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think the Blazers are overrated by the media. The loss of Nurkic to injury, Harkless and Aminu were pretty big, imo. There defense is going to suffer quite a bit until Nurkic comes back.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

Zach Lowe on Rubio signing: I was a bit puzzled by the choice; three years seems like too much since Rubio isn’t an ideal fit next to Booker because he struggles as an off-ball shooter.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm
Zach Lowe on Rubio signing: I was a bit puzzled by the choice; three years seems like too much since Rubio isn’t an ideal fit next to Booker because he struggles as an off-ball shooter.
Lowe will understand soon enough.
"Be Legendary."