Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Nuggets (1-0), Fri 10/25/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Nuggets (1-0), Fri 10/25/19

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:13 pm
This one is on Monty. You don't allow your team to run the clock out when you are behind! Ever. Basketball 101. Down 1, you shoot as quickly as possible.
Wrong. You don't give them time to win.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:13 pm
This one is on Monty. You don't allow your team to run the clock out when you are behind! Ever. Basketball 101. Down 1, you shoot as quickly as possible.
That's pretty much standard operating procedure for road teams trailing by one or two.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SDC

Post by SDC »

new starting 5

tyler johnson, booker, saric, baynes, oubre.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Why?
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:18 pm
Why?
Come on. They can't even beat one of the best teams in the West on the road and lose by 1 in OT without their star center. Gotta mix things up. Obviously.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Cuz Jokic ate Rubio after the game. Will the league suspend???!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wouldn’t have thought they stood a chance in Denver. Down Ayton, didn’t help. Booker was cold as ice. Baynes, Oubre and Rubio fouled out to start the OT. And we only lost by 1 in overtime? How can you not be proud and pleased with the quality we are seeing from the Suns?

We obviously have a real team.

Šarić made me cringe. I hope he starts hitting something. He did defend well in OT so there’s that.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I don’t like a few individual players on the roster but I like this team as a collective unit. They have heart and toughness. Something we haven’t seen in here in awhile. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Also the refs were an absolute shit show tonight. Ruined an amazing contest.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:29 pm
Democritus wrote:
Why?
Come on. They can't even beat one of the best teams in the West on the road and lose by 1 in OT without their star center. Gotta mix things up. Obviously.
:D Bone, I was reffering to SDC' claim that tyler will start instead of Rubio.
I like very much our team this year, thank you.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Basketball 101 from Doc Rivers on killing the clock:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

That was a different question, because the dichotomy asked was between an easy score early or wait out for the clock, and Doc said “If you can score in a second, you score”. Booker didn’t have an easy way to score, so he did second best, going all in for a last second basket, so the other team won’t have another shot at winning.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 am
Superbone wrote:
Democritus wrote:
Why?
I know. I was agreeing with you and being sarcastic about why we should change everything up.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1187972337510932480

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:35 am
Democritus wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Democritus wrote:
Why?
I know. I was agreeing with you and being sarcastic about why we should change everything up.
LOL my english failed me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Suns FO should put a call into the league office about last night, just to document with the league. It was unreal that the Suns couldn't buy a whistle. I know the FT attempts are almost the same as Denver's but it's misleading. Booker is a young star in the league and the face of the franchise and was hit on at least 2 of his drives with no call. Oubre got flattened on a drive, no call. It was a joke and it felt like one of those games the refs were just giving to the "better" team.

Loved effort tho and knew we had a chance to not only play well but steal this one. We should be 2-0. My concern now is that last night will be such a letdown, we'll come out flat tonight and get blown out against the Clips.

It definitely felt like we hit the wall in the middle of the 2nd qtr. We came out flying around on defense and then slowed down a bit and the Nugs kind of chipped away by halftime and then go the lead in the middle of the 3rd. Maybe it was the Denver altitude, maybe playing off adrenaline w/o DA to start, maybe both teams just evened out.

The Nugs D was good, but it just felt like the entire team was off on offense. Felt like guys like Book, Frank and Dario hesitated to shoot all night and even when we drove the basket, we would adjust to/avoid contact rather than going strong and getting the foul. Still, it felt like even when we were aggressive we weren't getting the calls.

I don't think Monty blew anything. I liked Carter's energy and defense and he hit some shots in the 1st half. I thought Bridges could've played more, especially since their bench swings were hurting us (Grant, Beasley, Craig). Not sure why he only saw 12 minutes. Frank and Baynes played really well but are obviously limited defensively. Diallo got in for a minute but he's useless. We might need a banger/bruiser just for depth and few minutes.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Loved every minute of the game last night.

It's a heartbreaking loss, but Booker always start the season slow. I wonder what adjustment he'll make this upcoming offseason, and if we will see him ready to play in October next year.

A couple of consistent good things: we still played with a ton of heart, we still played better defense than I thought we were capable of, and we still played well out of timeouts.

My only concern with Coach is Bridges' minutes. In that 3rd quarter when we couldn't defend without fouling, Bridges should have come in to steady us. There were stretches where Milsap was on the court, and I thought we should have gone with Bridges & Oubre as forwards and just let Oubre attack Milsap. I probably wouldn't have played Saric late in the game at all.

Coach is letting guys play through adversity, and that is very consistent with the message he is preaching in interviews. Saric's defense in OT showed his competitiveness and toughness. We're going to love the guy when his shot starts falling.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Rubio is a good floor general and passer, but his shooting is embarrassing. How can he be THAT bad? I don’t remember Kidd being THAT bad.

Maybe we’re still just spoiled from years of Steve Nash, but even Tyler Johnson, Carter etc are infinitely better shooters than him.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 pm
I wouldn’t have thought they stood a chance in Denver. Down Ayton, didn’t help. Booker was cold as ice. Baynes, Oubre and Rubio fouled out to start the OT. And we only lost by 1 in overtime? How can you not be proud and pleased with the quality we are seeing from the Suns?

We obviously have a real team.

Šarić made me cringe. I hope he starts hitting something. He did defend well in OT so there’s that.
Kaminsky needs to start at the 4. Especially since I really like the chemistry he seems to have with Baynes.

I also think Bridges should start at the 3. Oubre's +/- was never good, and it's been worst on the team per in the first two games.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t like making decisions based on plus/minus. Especially not on two games worth of data. I can understand an argument for starting Bridges, but it’s nothing to do with Oubre’s play. He’s been really good so far for us.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:42 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:35 am
Democritus wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Democritus wrote:
Why?
LOL my english failed me.
Dude. You're English is great! It is just that the written word doesn't always translate tone.
"Be Legendary."