Game Day: Jazz (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/28/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Jazz (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/28/19

Post by Mori Chu »

Very tough loss, but I am so proud of this team. They play hard and play together. They move the ball way better than last year. Their 3-point shooting is much, much better. They even sometimes try on defense. I think this is going to be a good season despite a few close losses. Last few years we would not have even been close in these games; we would have gotten down by 10-15, given up, then lost by 25-30 points. We look like a totally different team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's the ESPN box score from the game. We had 6 guys in double figures:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160691

I thought Baynes had a really good game. Made several threes (4-4 shooting from 3!), good screens, generally good defense. He is just a net positive out there. I bashed Carter, but he did hit three 3s and had 15 points total along with 3 assists. Rubio with 10, 10, and 8, nearly a triple-double (still waiting for his first one as a Sun).

I thought the most interesting player of the game was Oubre. He had such great energy and seemed to have several big moments, big layups, dunks, shots. But he also missed a lot of open looks and shot 7-19 overall, including 2-8 on threes. If he had shot better we would have won the game. I remember a few gimmes he front-rimmed. I like Oubre (especially for his effect on team chemistry, "Valley Boyz," etc.) but I still have mixed feelings about his actual play. And I continue to scratch my head about why Mikal Bridges plays so few minutes; he had 16 in this game and only attempted one shot. Coach doesn't seem to see much in him yet.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Suns are still terrible at closing quarters. We just seem to always give up 6 points and a late score all the time.

Missing lots of open looks. There aren’t an easy buckets inside tonight so we are somewhat doomed if we don’t make the outside shot
Not that they *would be able to count on Ayton in these situations inside as a second year player, but this is why a franchise dominate center can be so valuable. If he has really turned it around(I know we can't tell with that suspension), he would help open things up for others and stop lulls that the team goes through on offense. I for one thought his mid-range shot was looking much more consistent and reliable.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:21 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 pm
I was there and the amount of jazz fans in the arena was infuriating.
I was actually puzzled by that. I had heard them throughout the game but when that final foul was called, the crowd erupted. For a second, I thought the game was in Utah. I've heard that at a Suns/Lakers but not that loud before for Suns/Jazz in TSRA.
Idk if this is controversial to say but I think it’s because of the large Mormon population here in the east valley.
Mormons from AZ aren’t generally Jazz fans, but it’s possible there has been a lot of Utahns who’ve moved to another high Mormon density area with warmer weather.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Rubio is shooting 32% from the field. 0% from three.

Im not sure if the offense is better with him on the floor. Carter and Tyler Johnson spread the defense because they can shoot like an NBA-caliber guard.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Definitely noticed the Jazz fans in the arena during the game last night but I thought they always kind of show up against us?

Baynes is playing his ass. Sucks he's been pressed into this role but you can't ask for more, especially on offense.

Really don't have any issues with Kelly. Didn't feel like he took 19 shots last night, tho I did notice him force a few in transition which just comes down to shot selection. But most top offensive players on a team will get foul calls when there's contact around the rim. I think he's getting knocked around and we just haven't been getting the calls. Won't put the loss on him at all for missing some shots. We went to the line 16 less times than the Jazz and missed 7 FTs to boot. Can't happen.

Bridges...I think it's a matchup thing at this point but if he's not giving us anything on offense, can we really have him out there? Monty turned to Cam last night for 20 minutes and while he's not the defender or physical presence Bridges is, he's a threat everytime he shoots. Bridges needs to be a threat to score.
da_suns_fan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:57 am
Rubio is shooting 32% from the field. 0% from three.

Im not sure if the offense is better with him on the floor. Carter and Tyler Johnson spread the defense because they can shoot like an NBA-caliber guard.
Yea the fact that he's really not a shooting threat at all just kills spacing in PnRs. We're seeing teams just backing off and daring him to shoot. He was more aggressive in the 2nd half going towards the basket and getting some layups, but he's no great finisher either. We're just going to have to make do at this point.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
I was actually puzzled by that. I had heard them throughout the game but when that final foul was called, the crowd erupted. For a second, I thought the game was in Utah. I've heard that at a Suns/Lakers but not that loud before for Suns/Jazz in TSRA.
Idk if this is controversial to say but I think it’s because of the large Mormon population here in the east valley.
Mormons from AZ aren’t generally Jazz fans, but it’s possible there has been a lot of Utahns who’ve moved to another high Mormon density area with warmer weather.
Several of my Mormon friends in Arizona were Jazz fans--If not their favorite team, then their second favorite team. Couple that with the Suns being terrible for so long, and I could see how they could adopt rooting for the Jazz.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:02 am
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Several of my Mormon friends in Arizona were Jazz fans--If not their favorite team, then their second favorite team. Couple that with the Suns being terrible for so long, and I could see how they could adopt rooting for the Jazz.
Interesting, I never knew any jazz fans growing up in Mesa, but sounds like that could be a thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:40 am
jonh wrote:
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Interesting, I never knew any jazz fans growing up in Mesa, but sounds like that could be a thing.
Might depend on when you grew up there. Stockton and Malone years, or the Matt Harping/Carlos Boozer years?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Despite how this game ended, and how fucking long it was (ended around 12:40 for me), it was really promising. I would be pretty happy two weeks ago if you told me we will be within 1 basket every single game going into the last 2 minutes. We haven't backed down yet.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I am officially concerned about Bridges. Love the guy and his IQ and defense, but he's too content being a wallflower in the offense. Also, whoever tweaked his shot after he left college is just the worst person. He had a gorgeous stroke at Georgetown. Now he's got this weird hitch and no consistency in his form.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:36 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:40 am
jonh wrote:
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:

Might depend on when you grew up there. Stockton and Malone years, or the Matt Harping/Carlos Boozer years?
That’s a good point, the Stockton/Malone years we’re wrapping up when I became a teenager. So the AK-47 years I guess.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm
I am officially concerned about Bridges. Love the guy and his IQ and defense, but he's too content being a wallflower in the offense. Also, whoever tweaked his shot after he left college is just the worst person. He had a gorgeous stroke at Georgetown. Now he's got this weird hitch and no consistency in his form.
I have this picture in my head of Mikal Bridges as this lethal 3-and-D guy. But he's more of a ... D guy. His 3-point percentage for his career is just 33.2%, and he's hit only 16.7% (in a very limited sample size) so far this season. I hope he keeps working on his 3-point shot, because if he can get closer to 40%, he'll be a huge asset.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Surprised not to see anyone mentioned this unless I missed it but I never really had an opinion on Snyder good/bad but what was up with him last night... :? :roll:
I found it embarrassing how he was behaving wanting the refs to give Devin a flagrant 2 (eject). Seemed really bush league especially as that was one of many bogus calls
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I have this picture in my head of Mikal Bridges as this lethal 3-and-D guy. But he's more of a ... D guy. His 3-point percentage for his career is just 33.2%, and he's hit only 16.7% (in a very limited sample size) so far this season. I hope he keeps working on his 3-point shot, because if he can get closer to 40%, he'll be a huge asset.
Hopefully he gets that shot turned around because he was a fantastic shooter in college. Like just a notch below Cam. Shot like 43% on high number of attempts. Has been trying to change his form in the nba and results don’t look good so far.

Cap

Post by Cap »

BTW, players getting hit in the nads is pretty rare, so when it happens twice in the span of a few minutes, I have to wonder: Is it coincidence, or was the second one a deliberate act of revenge? And if it was revenge, was that wrong?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:23 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Hopefully he gets that shot turned around because he was a fantastic shooter in college. Like just a notch below Cam. Shot like 43% on high number of attempts. Has been trying to change his form in the nba and results don’t look good so far.
Yup. 51-44-85 shooting splits. And he was much more aggressive offensively. He doesn't seem to trust his shot now and that's throwing his whole game off.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I feel like I'm out of the loop, when did Bridges change his shot?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm
Prior to starting his pro career. It was much smoother in college at Villanova. He was a 45% 3pt shooter in his senior year, but came in and added a hitch to his shot that slowed down his release and added another variable that could change and lower his percentages.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:08 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm
Prior to starting his pro career. It was much smoother in college at Villanova. He was a 45% 3pt shooter in his senior year, but came in and added a hitch to his shot that slowed down his release and added another variable that could change and lower his percentages.
How does that happen?! What was he trying to fix?
"Be Legendary."