Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/28-11/3

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:56 pm
I should have mentioned that Baynes is leading our team in 3P% by a long shot.
He doesn't seem to miss many!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:56 pm
I should have mentioned that Baynes is leading our team in 3P% by a long shot.
He doesn't seem to miss many!
Before this season he had taken a total of 81 threes over 7 years. Had only made 25 of them (for 30.8%). This year he is 6 of 11 (54.5%) through 4 games. Love it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For some reason, I feel like Dario is on an island on this team. Doesn't get talked about much, doesn't seem to have chemistry with anyone in particular on the court, is just kind of out there feeling his way around and trying to find his spots. Last night was especially tough because he got hit with fouls early and it wasn't until the 2nd half that he hit a 3 and then made those nice passes. He's a legit triple threat and I think not having the ball in his hands hurts his game a bit as he's more than just a set shooter. Then there's this:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think they're just trying to find the right role for him. It's early.

I don't think he's a guy they can just put in the corner on offense and expect him to hit 3's or drive to the rim. That's just not his game. Ideally, I'd like to see him play as the primary ball handler in the half court when Rubio is on the bench.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:19 pm
For some reason, I feel like Dario is on an island on this team. Doesn't get talked about much, doesn't seem to have chemistry with anyone in particular on the court, is just kind of out there feeling his way around and trying to find his spots. Last night was especially tough because he got hit with fouls early and it wasn't until the 2nd half that he hit a 3 and then made those nice passes. He's a legit triple threat and I think not having the ball in his hands hurts his game a bit as he's more than just a set shooter. Then there's this:

There are going to be times when Rubio and Devin are not on the court. They should use him as a point forward, especially with Carter on the floor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t mind overlapping Carter’s minutes with Saric. Carter does a lot of great things, but initiating the offense isn’t one of them. Saric can help there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

For Saucy:

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm
For Saucy:

If we just had TJ bring up the ball and initiate the offense, I would be much more on board with all this. He played great the last 2 games overall, but he is completely lost trying to initiate the offense and takes some ill advised drives and shots. He has no clue how to be a PG

carey

Post by carey »

Carter pounds the ball too much. Doesn’t seem to grasp the .5 thing just yet.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think he's going to grasp ball movement, but I think they'll be fine if he keeps up the intensity and defensive effort. I think it's better to find a guy off of the bench to initiate the offense. Saric, TJ or Jerome would probably be the candidates.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:23 am
I don't think he's going to grasp ball movement, but I think they'll be fine if he keeps up the intensity and defensive effort. I think it's better to find a guy off of the bench to initiate the offense. Saric, TJ or Jerome would probably be the candidates.
Carter's not a great PG in a traditional sense. He's not a good offensive initiator. He is very good on defense, and his 3 point shooting has been great. I'm happy playing him alongside a good initiator like Booker, or Ty Jerome when he gets back. Both Jerome and Booker can defend the 2 position (well, sort of, but they have the height to do it).

Also, take a look at TPA. It's saying Oubre is tearing it up. Interesting. It's also very high on Jevon Carter. Tyler Johnson and Cam Johnson... not so much. They have the two worst TPAs on the squad. When Jerome gets back, he's pretty expendable. What would people say to a trade involving Tyler Johnson, Saric, and a 1st for someone like Love or Griffin?

https://nbamath.com/2019-20-nba-tpa/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:17 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Carter's not a great PG in a traditional sense. He's not a good offensive initiator. He is very good on defense, and his 3 point shooting has been great. I'm happy playing him alongside a good initiator like Booker, or Ty Jerome when he gets back. Both Jerome and Booker can defend the 2 position (well, sort of, but they have the height to do it).

Also, take a look at TPA. It's saying Oubre is tearing it up. Interesting. It's also very high on Jevon Carter. Tyler Johnson and Cam Johnson... not so much. They have the two worst TPAs on the squad. When Jerome gets back, he's pretty expendable. What would people say to a trade involving Tyler Johnson, Saric, and a 1st for someone like Love or Griffin?

Any metric that says Okobo is better than Booker, I'm going to say I'm skeptical of.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I swear I don't get the obsession with trying to trade for "names" like Love and Griffin.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 am
Wormwood wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Any metric that says Okobo is better than Booker, I'm going to say I'm skeptical of.
Okobo's number's are weird because he's basically only played a few minutes, resulting in a very small sample size (and thus really high variance). It's a pretty decent metric for players who have a more significant number of minutes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wormwood wrote:
What would people say to a trade involving Tyler Johnson, Saric, and a 1st for someone like Love or Griffin?
I suspect most folks would hate the idea of trading for Kevin Love, but I like him a lot more than most. He's putting up decent numbers in Cleveland so far this year, averaging 15.7 ppg on 46.7 fg% (37.5% from 3), 15.7 rpg (!), and 4.7 assists (!) in 34 min/game. I think he'd be valuable and helpful for our young team. He seems ancient but he's only 31.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... eke01.html

I was going to say that another guy to look at would be Aaron Gordon. He's having a rough start to the season, though, averaging just 7 ppg and 4.7 rebounds and 29.2 fg% (!). Hmm. I guess it'd be a chance to "buy low" on him, but the poor shooting could be a problem. I would tend to prefer a PF who can hit a 3 like Love.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... oaa01.html

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Love's contract makes him really hard to stomach, and I'd prefer to stay away from Aaron Gordon because I'm not convinced he's ever going to get to the level everyone expected from him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And Indy tooooooo!!!
"Be Legendary."

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

If it ain't broke don't screw with it... Why risk our chemistry for some fantasy ball

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Saric was the weakest Sun to start the season but, he has started to find his spot on the team and play much better. It’s hard to find anybody on the team to hate now...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 pm
If it ain't broke don't screw with it... Why risk our chemistry for some fantasy ball
Agree. The guys are playing great and we're already talking about trading them away. Saric puts up some ridiculous numbers last night that are almost unheard of and we're thinking about how to package him with some other players for Love, etc...

Did I miss something? Are we playing bad basketball?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton