Game Day: Suns (2-2) @ Warriors (1-2), Wed 10/30/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Game Day: Suns (2-2) @ Warriors (1-2), Wed 10/30/19

Post by Nodack »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:11 pm
Just checked the box score and, yes, it's the Warriors. But remember when we were the Warriors, getting trounced the last 5 or 6 years, night in and night out?

Anyways, some of these lines are boggling.

Saric - 16 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals?! (+24)

Muscle man Baynes - 24 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 blocks?! (+13).

Actual centers and pf's on the roster. What world are we living in?
+1000

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

3/2

Wow, the Suns totally annihilated the Warriors in the first quarter. Everybody knew there would be a letdown at halftime. It happens every time. They responded well enough to get the win. The Warriors gave it all they got and made it almost close, but in the end it was all for nothing.

Bummer about Curry. He’s probably thinking it’s a gift. Now he doesn’t have to be on the court for awhile and get humiliated every night. Now he can sit next to Clay and watch his team get humiliated every night.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nice blowout, wish our starters could've played less. We dicked around in the 3rd and 4th, no reason Book should've seen 35 minutes.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Suns' opponents are being given more free throws than any other team in the league by a wide margin. At the same time, the suns have the 5th best defensive FG% in the league, and 6th best 3 point defensive FG% in the league. 7th in the league at forcing turnovers. They're 5th in the league in blocks (!?!?) without a true shotblocking center.

This is a very good defensive team with Baynes at center. But, they aren't treated like it by the refs, and it isn't getting better. In fact, if the number of free attempts given Suns' opponents would be very close to the NBA record set during the 70-71 season, and the highest since the Nuggets 1990-1991 season.

Donaghy was telling the truth.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched this one but had guests over so I couldn't post during. I was so proud of our guys getting ahead by such a huge margin. Didn't like how we let them back in near the end, but that's something Coach can talk about to help teach our young guys about putting away a game and playing hard for all 48 minutes.

Baynes had a huge game, and Saric was also very good. I didn't realize how many different things these guys could do. Baynes is a great defender, he sets vicious screens, and he's a decent 3-point shooter. Saric is a versatile player who handles better than I'd expected, passes well, and is a decent defender too. They both give me way more than I thought they would. Both of them had really impressive stat lines tonight: Baynes 24/13/7 (!), Saric 16/9/5. Rubio was 2/2 on 3s and I love the effect he has on our offense when he's on the floor.

Book also looks like he's getting into form with another 30+ point game. The last two games he's looked like the scoring monster we need to lead our offense, and he's so much fun to watch when he's got it going. I was glad to see that Cam Johnson had his first good game, with 5-6 shooting (2-3 on 3s), 12 points, 4 boards.

I'm still a little worried about Mikal Bridges. He had another low-impact game. Our bench guards, Carter and Johnson, also didn't really give us anything.

I'm very sad that Curry got injured. I know folks like to cheer against the Warriors, but nobody wants to see an injury. Glad it's just in his non-shooting hand. They will now be really bad this year, and maybe it'll help push them in the right direction, such as trading Russell or getting a good draft pick.

A playoff spot just opened up for a lucky Western Conference team. Are we going to grab it?... Here's the box score:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160707

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

It'd be easy to cheer against Curry if he was a jerk. But, from everything I've seen, he's not. Was really sorry to see him injured. He's a fun player to watch.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there are 5 playoff locks(Clippers, Lakers, Jazz, Nuggets, Rockets) and 5 teams that look to be lotto locks(Warriors, Kings, Pelicans, Thunder, Grizzlies) that leaves 5 teams fighting over 3 spots(Blazers, Spurs, Mavs, Suns, Wolves). Many might say Blazers are locks, but I don’t love their team. Spurs are the Spurs, but I’m not a big fan of their team either. The 8th seed looks attainable for us right now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's why those two losses could come back to screw us. We should be 5-0 right now.

I thought Bridges had some good minutes last night. But honestly, he's not an offensive threat. His defense is legit and isn't hyped up like some other players' D but if he's not hitting his outside shots, you're just not getting much else. And if he's not hitting his shots, Cam's gonna cut into that PT. I did like the look of all three (Oubre, Bridges, Cam) out there last night and you can see the potential on the perimeter with the slashing, shooting, defense, length and athleticism but it can only work against similar lineups. Pascall was too big for our swings and had a stretch just bullying them.

Saric is very much the glue guy for the starting lineup. Nothing flashy but a steal here, a board there, an assist (or hockey assist), a 3...it adds up. His defense is most impressive to me at this point. Definitely not a high flyer or intimidator but smart, doesn't back down, takes good positions...reminds me of KT in that way. I also like him switching onto smaller players in the post. We can keep exploiting those mismatches.

Overall the bench played poorly and couldn't keep the lead. Carter came back down to earth, Frank wasn't hitting from the outside, Tyler Johnson's been quiet overall. Wonder who/if anyone can provide consistent offense with that group or will we have to mix in some starters.
Last edited by ShelC on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Golden State owner Joe Lacob in 2016 -

“We’re light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things,” he said. “We’re going to be a handful for the rest of the N.B.A. to deal with for a long time.”
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 am
It'd be easy to cheer against Curry if he was a jerk. But, from everything I've seen, he's not. Was really sorry to see him injured.
He acts like a decent guy so that you can’t enjoy it when these things happen. What a jerk!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am

“We’re light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things,” he said. “We’re going to be a handful for the rest of the N.B.A. to deal with for a long time.”
Pride comes before the fall.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes. I am going to assume the first quarter was just for me.

Also, with Curry going down, I would assume that they clearly miss the playoffs--that leaves one more opening... just saying.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 am
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 am

Pride comes before the fall.
that's catchy. you should be a writer.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Of course before Durant got hurt and revealed that he wanted to leave, and before Thomson got hurt we all thought Golden State had plenty of good years left in them, but sports can humble you at times.

I am trying to remember a similar fall from the penthouse to the outhouse like this and the only thing I could think of was the 1997-98 Bulls (62-20 NBA champions for the 6th time) to the 1998-99 Bulls (13-37 in the lockout-shortened season). The Bulls went from the Finals to not making the playoffs for the next six years. The Warriors will be better than that simply by eventually getting Thompson and Curry healthy, but until then....
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:32 am
I knew the Warriors would make a run. There are too many scrappy guys on that roster for them to just fold. Many of them still have to fight for their next contract.

I also wasn't worried about the Suns totally blowing the lead against them. I had no doubt that our veterans would close it out, but I wasn't expecting a 30 point gap in the final score.
It didn't help that the Suns let off the gas, maybe even felt bad for Curry and took their foot off the Warriors throat after that. It also didn't help that the refs changed the way they officiated that game and allowed the Warriors to hand check the rest of the game, while not allowing any type of close to the same from the Suns, which made it a little awkward and you had guys like Ky Bowman thinking they are All-Stars with the treatment they got.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Interesting detail I missed on last night’s broadcast: Baynes takes a nasty shot to the groin from Curry’s knee/thigh before going down. Go to 3:28.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:32 am
I knew the Warriors would make a run. There are too many scrappy guys on that roster for them to just fold. Many of them still have to fight for their next contract.

I also wasn't worried about the Suns totally blowing the lead against them. I had no doubt that our veterans would close it out, but I wasn't expecting a 30 point gap in the final score.
It didn't help that the Suns let off the gas, maybe even felt bad for Curry and took their foot off the Warriors throat after that. It also didn't help that the refs changed the way they officiated that game and allowed the Warriors to hand check the rest of the game, while not allowing any type of close to the same from the Suns, which made it a little awkward and you had guys like Ky Bowman thinking they are All-Stars with the treatment they got.
Ya, it seemed like the refs felt sorry for the Warriors and decided they weren’t going to call any fouls on them in the second half to see if they could make the game closer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 am
It'd be easy to cheer against Curry if he was a jerk. But, from everything I've seen, he's not. Was really sorry to see him injured. He's a fun player to watch.
I don't think anybody was happy to see Curry get injured.
"Be Legendary."