Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Grizzlies (1-3), Sat 11/2/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
3rdside

Re: Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Grizzlies (1-3), Sat 11/2/19

Post by 3rdside »

3rdside wrote:
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:30 am
Morant’s been good (17/3.5/5), Brandon Clarke solid (10/5/1), JJJ maybe a little slower out of the blocks than expected (15/6.5/1) but nothing to worry about I don’t think.

I love this core and they will be fun to watch the next few years.

D’anthony Melton getting very little burn.
Unlike Carter. Good trade.
It’s looking that way. JJones hitting it out the park! Between TJ, JJ, Bender, Culver (at 6) I thought there’s no way he’ll win all of them but so far pretty damn good.

Timing on this comment somewhat questionable - Clarke with 16 and 11 on 7 of 9 shots, Culver with his first 20 point game and Cam Johnson not doing much.

Early days and I still like Johnson.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's great to anticipate the next game with excitement as soon as the last game finishes.

I forgot how that felt because it's probably been absent since Nash's last year in Phoenix.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 pm
Wormwood wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:34 pm
Melton, Knight, Anderson, Jackson, and Bender basically haven't played this year. (0-10 minutes total playing time)

Chriss has seen some playing time, but hasn't been particularly efficient. Holmes has seen consistent playing time, but hasn't been as efficient as last year. TJ Warren has seen starter minutes, but his efficiency is way down from last year.

Troy Daniels has been getting 15 mpg as a back up SG. His PER is an awful 7.65.

Jamal Crawford is out of the league.

All true, except Holmes...he’s been great for Sacramento and recently moved into the starting lineup. He’s averaging more points/rebounds and shooting a higher percentage from the field.
You're right. Holmes has been as good or better than last year. I was thinking of Ariza on the Kings, who has been God awful too.

To summarize:

Aziza -> Oubre

Melton -> Carter

Warren -> Saric

Jackson -> Rubio

Holmes -> Baynes

Also, don't look, but the Suns have the second best point differential in the league (+9.2)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

In some regards, not the Suns strongest game so far, as they were outrebounded and Memphis had more blocks.

Still, Suns played well as a team, with six players in double figures and two others with nine each.
Guys made key plays at the right time.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:30 am
It's great to anticipate the next game with excitement as soon as the last game finishes.

I forgot how that felt because it's probably been absent since Nash's last year in Phoenix.
There was the Hornacek 48 win year. That was fun.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

3rdside wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 am
3rdside wrote:
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Morant’s been good (17/3.5/5), Brandon Clarke solid (10/5/1), JJJ maybe a little slower out of the blocks than expected (15/6.5/1) but nothing to worry about I don’t think.

It’s looking that way. JJones hitting it out the park! Between TJ, JJ, Bender, Culver (at 6) I thought there’s no way he’ll win all of them but so far pretty damn good.

Timing on this comment somewhat questionable - Clarke with 16 and 11 on 7 of 9 shots, Culver with his first 20 point game and Cam Johnson not doing much.

I was good with the trade down that nabbed Saric. In that vein I’m only going to judge Cam against players that came after him. I have a hard time seeing him having a better career than PJ Washington or Tyler Herro, the two players taken immediately following Cam.

Jones, Bower and Bukstein approached the draft with zero risk tolerance, which is understandable given how the last few drafts have gone, but still probably not the right approach to drafting.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I definitely had some FOMO after watching Brandon Clarke last night.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

I do think Oubre is going to have nightmares about JJJ and Clarke both constantly going up together to block his shot.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

It was, but that was still too recent to buy fully buy in. After watching elite level basketball for so long it was painfully obvious that team was over achieving.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

It was, but that was still too recent to buy fully buy in. After watching elite level basketball for so long it was painfully obvious that team was over achieving.
Coincidentally, that was our lost phx-suns.net year.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I agree about Brandon Clarke. It's no knock on Cam, either. We could use a PF who rebounds, blocks shots, get steals, scores in the lane, and can shoot a little.

Herro has been a big surprise to me. I knew he could score a little, but this is well beyond what I expected.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Shabazz wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 am
3rdside wrote:
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:

I was good with the trade down that nabbed Saric. In that vein I’m only going to judge Cam against players that came after him. I have a hard time seeing him having a better career than PJ Washington or Tyler Herro, the two players taken immediately following Cam.

Jones, Bower and Bukstein approached the draft with zero risk tolerance, which is understandable given how the last few drafts have gone, but still probably not the right approach to drafting.
We needed depth and shooting and we got both with Saric and CJ (on the assumption Johnson pans out) and with CJ’s one nailed on, translatable skill - shooting - and one nailed on physical advantage - height - he was a conservative but safe bet.

PJ and Tyler look great now but there’s nothing physically or statistically that would have particularly stood out pre-draft and it’s arguably a crap shoot for guys like this (arguably - Brandon Clarke’s physical limitations are as obvious as his ability to actually play the game, although that’s easier to say now that he’s actually doing it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk