Game Day: 76ers (5-0) @ Suns (4-2), Mon 11/4/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: 76ers (5-0) @ Suns (4-2), Mon 11/4/19

Post by Split T »

Do you know who’d look good here and is a free agent this summer, Jerami Grant.

The Gordon, Love, Griffin trio could all be enticing as well, depending on what we have to give up.

I’m still hoping Saric will perform better for us. Not sure he’s fully in shape yet.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:40 am
And finally Rubio. He's just a machine. We can play well with him on the bench but there are moments during the game where you just feel at ease when he has the ball and is directing things. A veteran steady hand who's seen it all and can make sure the team does what it needs to. I can guarantee we wouldn't be in this position with DAR or Rozier. We just wouldn't be.
Rubio has been great. I know folks tease me for being so into him, but I really think he has transformed our offense with his great passing and his composure. He just knows exactly what to do out there. He's making it easier for so many other guys like Booker, Oubre, and Baynes. I really, really like what he's bringing to the team so far.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Also meant to add that while there were still plenty of terrible calls and non-calls for us, it did seem like the whistles were in our favor in the 4th with a few travels, offensive fouls on the Sixers and letting us play a bit. Some fouls on Book and Baynes were complete garbage but I do think the refs test teams like ours to see how we respond to situations like that. So hopefully things are changing in our favor now that we're proving ourselves consistently.

There's also no doubt in my mind the league/refs try and help the better teams early in the year (Nugs and Jazz) because they don't want bad teams getting fluke wins early in the season and hurting the better teams' records.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm
Just an unbelievable win.

It might have been Devin Booker's finest game to date. 40 points on 15/19 shooting, 3/4 from deep, 7/7 from the line, one vicious tomahawk jam, so much s*** talk, and he took over late when the team needed him the most. The crowd was beside itself tonight.
In some ways, it was better than his 70-pt. game, which came in a 10 point loss.

Booker shot lights out last night in a tight game with arguably one of the best teams in the NBA.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Such a great game
I just enjoy the fact that we are so gritty, there were some points when we couldn't hit a 3 but our D kept us in the game yet again. I just love the ball movement and looks we creating nightly

Yes that leads me to Frank n Dario. I gonna keep betting on them being productive more often than not. I'm a lil bummed with the shooting but I love passing and gotta say every game they make a "smart read" hitting someone on a back cut I think I enjoy those lil plays more than most lol

Happy also to see Monty be flexible with his rotations and closing with Mikal deservedly so last night
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 am
ShelC wrote:
And finally Rubio. He's just a machine. We can play well with him on the bench but there are moments during the game where you just feel at ease when he has the ball and is directing things. A veteran steady hand who's seen it all and can make sure the team does what it needs to. I can guarantee we wouldn't be in this position with DAR or Rozier. We just wouldn't be.
Rubio has been great. I know folks tease me for being so into him, but I really think he has transformed our offense with his great passing and his composure. He just knows exactly what to do out there. He's making it easier for so many other guys like Booker, Oubre, and Baynes. I really, really like what he's bringing to the team so far.
You have been into him for a long time and now we have him and look what has happened. You must feel stoked.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am
Also meant to add that while there were still plenty of terrible calls and non-calls for us, it did seem like the whistles were in our favor in the 4th with a few travels, offensive fouls on the Sixers and letting us play a bit. Some fouls on Book and Baynes were complete garbage but I do think the refs test teams like ours to see how we respond to situations like that. So hopefully things are changing in our favor now that we're proving ourselves consistently.

There's also no doubt in my mind the league/refs try and help the better teams early in the year (Nugs and Jazz) because they don't want bad teams getting fluke wins early in the season and hurting the better teams' records.
Why should the refs try to help anyone? That’s not their job. Maybe they do but, it shouldn’t be.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:21 pm
Such a great game
I just enjoy the fact that we are so gritty, there were some points when we couldn't hit a 3 but our D kept us in the game yet again. I just love the ball movement and looks we creating nightly

Yes that leads me to Frank n Dario. I gonna keep betting on them being productive more often than not. I'm a lil bummed with the shooting but I love passing and gotta say every game they make a "smart read" hitting someone on a back cut I think I enjoy those lil plays more than most lol

Happy also to see Monty be flexible with his rotations and closing with Mikal deservedly so last night
I think no matter the team, guys will have good and bad stretches. No team fires on all cylinders for 82 games. People get hot and some get cold and then switch places next game. It just is.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

What I like about Frank an Saric is that, even if they're not getting points, the offense still work with their passing.
They're not athletic also, but you see they're busting their asses on defense.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:
You have been into him for a long time and now we have him and look what has happened. You must feel stoked.
And what does it say that he's playing well here while the Jazz replaced him with a "better" player in Conley coming off a career year who's now struggling in Utah's system same as Rubio.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Suns are on pace for 59 wins.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Nodack wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:
And what does it say that he's playing well here while the Jazz replaced him with a "better" player in Conley coming off a career year who's now struggling in Utah's system same as Rubio.
Watching Rubio play just reminds me of how great Nash was. If Rubio only was a good shot and better finisher, how he’d be a top PG. It’s hard to believe that he never developed into a real shooter or at least a deadlier midrange game. He’s serviceable and on a occasion a good shot. But he’s never been a knock down threat. Still, I think it’s enough that his playmaking and team defense has carried him to be the player/starter that he is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The difference is that Nash had amazing footwork, like .01% level. It's something he trained himself for years to achieve. Very few players have that understanding and drive.

Rubio will go down as a great player, one of the best in Spanish history, but he's not on track to be one of the best ever.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Bill Simmons shove his Suns takes up his own ass.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:51 am
The difference is that Nash had amazing footwork, like .01% level. It's something he trained himself for years to achieve. Very few players have that understanding and drive.

Rubio will go down as a great player, one of the best in Spanish history, but he's not on track to be one of the best ever.
OK. I loved Steve Nash and I don't think RR will be on his level. But at the same age they were on similar levels--different strengths and weaknesses, but similar levels overall. Nash of course more efficient offensively and one of the best shooters in history, RR is an excellent defender. Distributing skills are similar. Ball handling similar.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

True. at 28, Steve was an 18pt, 7 assist guy who did not defend at all. Rubio was a 13 pt 7 assist guy who was one of the best defenders in the league.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Rubio was a great shooter, he'd be one of the best PGs in the league. But he probably also wouldn't have been available, nor would he have come to a struggling franchise as he did, nor on a reasonable contract. I'm grateful that we have him. I knew that getting a distributing PG would help us, and it's exciting to watch it happen in real time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:27 am
Do you know who’d look good here and is a free agent this summer, Jerami Grant.

The Gordon, Love, Griffin trio could all be enticing as well, depending on what we have to give up.

I’m still hoping Saric will perform better for us. Not sure he’s fully in shape yet.
I was thinking the same thing last off-season, but he was under contract with OKC. He would have been a nice piece to trade for.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:51 am

OK. I loved Steve Nash and I don't think RR will be on his level. But at the same age they were on similar levels--different strengths and weaknesses, but similar levels overall. Nash of course more efficient offensively and one of the best shooters in history, RR is an excellent defender. Distributing skills are similar. Ball handling similar.
rubio is a better, more natural passer ala mark jackson.