Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Cap

Re: Impeachment

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm
I hope you guys are wrong.
Might as well enjoy your hope while it lasts.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Superbone wrote:
You sound pretty sure of yourself.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:12 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Superbone wrote:
You sound pretty sure of yourself.
I’m not exactly going out on a limb.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap: You aren't encouraged by the 2018 and 2019 elections? In both, the Dems made big gains. I think 2020 could be similar, seeing the Democrats retake the White House and the Senate majority.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There are only 2 senate seats up for election that are in slightly GOP states: AK and NC. There are 3 on the Dem's side: AL, NH, VA

The GOP has more seats up for re-election (22) compared to the Dems (12), but so many are in places like TX, MT, ID, WY, NE, KS, OK...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The hope would be for a strong Dem Presidential candidate who whoops Trump, and causes a mini-wave that narrowly wins the Dems a Senate majority. Something like 50-50 or 51-49 is a long shot but could happen if Trump becomes historically unpopular with undecideds and moderates.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:01 pm
The hope would be for a strong Dem Presidential candidate who whoops Trump, and causes a mini-wave that narrowly wins the Dems a Senate majority. Something like 50-50 or 51-49 is a long shot but could happen if Trump becomes historically unpopular with undecideds and moderates.
I think those points in your last sentence are what is key. It would be a huge deviation from the norm to flip the Senate. I hope it happens.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Dems might win a bunch and take control over everything again. Then what? Republicans will hate everything they do no matter what and the country will continue to be divided. Large donors and lobbying will have all the control. There are just as many Dems as Cons on the payroll. The debt will continue to skyrocket and all we will do is blame each other. Health care will continue to be way overpriced compared to every other country. The rich will continue to get richer and the poor will continue to get poorer. The system is broken and we citizens have lost all control imo. Nothing short of mass protests are going to make any difference in my humble opinion.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Dems might win a bunch and take control over everything again. Then what? Republicans will hate everything they do no matter what and the country will continue to be divided. Large donors and lobbying will have all the control. There are just as many Dems as Cons on the payroll. The debt will continue to skyrocket and all we will do is blame each other. Health care will continue to be way overpriced compared to every other country. The rich will continue to get richer and the poor will continue to get poorer. The system is broken and we citizens have lost all control imo. Nothing short of mass protests are going to make any difference in my humble opinion.
A lot of what you say is true, but this highlighted one is not. Since WWII, only 1 party has been spending more money that we make.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Republicans would argue it’s all the Dems. Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office. Republicans spent 8 years harping on the debt under Obama and now... not a peep.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office.
He had better get hoppin'.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 pm
Nodack wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
Trump promised to zero the debt before leaving office.
He had better get hoppin'.
He conveniently left out the part where he never leaves office and declares bankruptcy on behalf of the US government.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They started the Impeachment proceedings today. Watching it right now. The Republicans keep insisting that Trump ultimately gave Ukraine the money therefore there can be no quid pro quo or bribery. I haven’t seem the Dems respond to that yet and it is irritating. Trump gave the aid AFTER the whistleblower did his thing and a month AFTER Congress was informed and the story broke. That’s like kidnapping someone for ransom, the police surround your house and you hand over the kidnapped person without getting your money and then claiming there was no crime because you were never paid and gave back the hostage.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm
They started the Impeachment proceedings today. Watching it right now. The Republicans keep insisting that Trump ultimately gave Ukraine the money therefore there can be no quid pro quo or bribery. I haven’t seem the Dems respond to that yet and it is irritating. Trump gave the aid AFTER the whistleblower did his thing and a month AFTER Congress was informed and the story broke. That’s like kidnapping someone for ransom, the police surround your house and you hand over the kidnapped person without getting your money and then claiming there was no crime because you were never paid and gave back the hostage.
The logical merits of the argument are obviously irrelevant.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm
The Republican arguments at the hearing today were just red meat for the base to watch on Fox and other right-wing media outlets. No attempt was made by the GOP to discover any truths or make a coherent logical argument. I'd say it's going really badly for them, but that carries the assumption that anybody will care. I hope they will.
It’s going about as badly as Trump’s campaign.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Which one?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Which one?
The one he won. He and his supporters weren’t making any more sense then than they are now. It doesn’t fucking matter.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

I could be wrong but shouldn't this former ambassador have filed a suit in civil court for wrongful termination instead of complaining about being fired to Congress?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Anybody else watching the impeachment hearing today? Amb. Yovanovitch's testimony is quite interesting. It sure looks like Trump fired her wrongly for not being willing to go along with his corrupt dealings with Ukraine. And now he's attacking her in real time on Twitter while she tries to testify. Clear witness intimidation. Add it to the list of impeachable offenses.