NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

NBA Draft 2020

Post by Superbone »

I know it's way early but I needed somewhere to put this:

P.S. The search mechanism on this site is ridiculous. It wouldn't let me search for "draft" because it's too common. I only wanted to find topics with "draft" in it which aren't that many but it didn't care.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not much of an Obi Toppin fan. He prefers to play with his back to the basket and I question his hands. He'll probably do fine in the league, but I think it's going to take a while.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:09 pm
I'm not much of an Obi Toppin fan. He prefers to play with his back to the basket and I question his hands. He'll probably do fine in the league, but I think it's going to take a while.
I'll be honest that I don't know anything about him other than these highlights.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've only watched YouTube clips, so I'm not getting a full picture either. He's just a guy that seems like his ceiling would be the late lottery in a normal draft.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Nah, he's a top 10 pick in most drafts. He reminds me of Kenyon Martin. Better jump shout though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can see the comparison to Martin, but Martin is a crazy person and that had a lot to do with his success.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Deni Avdija would be a great fit here, but there's no way the Suns draft him after neither Bender nor Saric has panned out.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I think this is a very deep draft, not at all top heavy. I'd feel best drafting in the 4-7 range so we'd be in a position to draft one of Halliburton, Advija, Okongwu or Hayes, in that order. To me, Halliburton projects as a perfect fit alongside Devin Booker and Ty Jerome in the backcourt long term. Advija could be very useful off the bench for us and could step into the starting 4 spot once he develops. Okongwu's not a great fit for us, but I think he could give us something like what Montrezl Harrell gives the Clippers off the bench, plus his FT% gives some indication that he might be able to stretch the floor in time. Hayes is a project but he looks a little too much like Devin Booker for me to pass if the rest of these guys are off the board.

Back where we're slated, Toppin and Paul Reed would be my targets. Paul Reed is my favorite as far as fit with us in this draft - a long 6'10" 4/5 who plays next level defense with his amazing hands, pressures guards with tenacity and can handle the ball, though his jumper's still developing. I can only imagine what terror Deandre and Reed could wreck on NBA defenses one day. I don't know why this kid's not slated to go in the lotto, given his crazy defensive upside.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it might work against Reed that he plays for DePaul.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 pm
I think it might work against Reed that he plays for DePaul.
It most certainly does.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I like Toppin. He reminds me a little of Chriss, but without a lot of the head-case stuff and a better jump shot. He's an ok pick at 10, and I'm a little more familiar with him as a Dayton product.

I don't know what to think of Nico Mannion, though. Could be a good back-up PG. Solid all around, but doesn't seem like a star.

carey

Post by carey »

ESPN has us taking Nico at #10 in their mock by Givony.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think the Nico talk is just because he's an AZ kid.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 am
I like Toppin. He reminds me a little of Chriss, but without a lot of the head-case stuff and a better jump shot. He's an ok pick at 10, and I'm a little more familiar with him as a Dayton product.
The bolded part is actually what Onyeka Okongwu reminds me of.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I assume the suns will look at PFs and PGs

How are we ranking folks at those positions? I haven’t looked into it enough yet.
Maledon looks like he could be someone at our range. Good frame for a pg. steady all round with lout being spectacular. Wouldn’t be the worst thing off the bench.
But ever since draft express stopped posting on YouTube, where is good to view a players weaknesses? Everyone looks great in their highlights.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A lazy comparison, but he reminds me a lot of a young Danilo Gallinari. Avdija looks to have a better bounce though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Avdija looks great in those clips. But I can't help but feel like it's mostly because of the level of competition. I don't see a lot of hugely tall, athletic opponents in those highlights. I don't know if that would translate to the NBA.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How would you rate Marvin Bagley vs. Avdija, Toppin and Okongwu?

Meaning, if you any of those were to fall to the Suns, would you think about trading that pick for Bagley?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think Bagley is a great fit next to Ayton unless he starts shooting a lot better.