Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Nodack »

The same people who say we will be eating in bread lines if a Dem is elected.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm
My wife says that if we have universal health care here in the US, there will be 6-month waits for any kind of care, and that if you don't have something serious, they won't see you. She says you'll wait 3 months with a broken arm with no care. She says she has friends in Canada who say that's how it works up there, and that they all come down here to get their medical care when it's something important because our system is better.

I'm almost certain that none of these claims are true, but I don't really have the facts and data to push back on it. Are there really long waits for care in countries that have universal health care?
Yeah that's not right - if it's an emergency you get looked at immediately. Things like shoulder reconstructions, hip replacements etc, things that can wait, those are what you wait for.

In Australia, which has a mix of public and private health insurance, a cricket ball punched a hole through my lip and i went to a public hospital as I didn't have private health insurance at the time - three hours and my tenth soaked gauze pad later I walked out and caught a cab to a private hospital and paid cash for the stitch up as I couldn't bear to wait any longer and there was some awful screaming coming from one of the treatment rooms.

That's my worst fear of public health.

But in London I nearly took my finger off with a broken glass jar, walked into A&E (Accidents and Emergencies) and got x-rayed and stitched up right away.

The hospital staff in Australia did say I wasn't 'urgent enough' - which was true, as there was not much pain, just a lot of blood - but i looked a sorry sight and it would have been pretty grim for anyone looking at me. And I did feel neglected - probably partly explains why I stay with private health insurance these days.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

To add that in Australia you 'wouldn't be caught dead' without private health care, in the UK with the NHS you're fine running that risk; 'it probably won't happen but if it does, it won't be too bad' ...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I sliced both ankles on sheet metal and went to a Banner Emergency clinic and was third in line and had to wait about 40 minutes to get stitched up. All emergency rooms take first come first served except when it is a dire emergency. Heart attack gets you in right away. Bloody lip, cold symptoms, feeling sick and you might have to wait. Doesn’t sound much different than anywhere else.

It sounds like you get preferential treatment in the UK with private insurance but, if not you will be taken care of just maybe not as quick. I think a lot or poor people in the US would prefer the UK’s health care system and those wealthy enough wouldn’t mind paying extra for extra coverage. Bottom line, all Americans covered and no more bankruptcies.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Big debate tonight as Bloomberg enters the ring.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just watched it. They sure did go after Bloomberg. He sort of makes sense but he just seems like a Republican who hates Trump so much he became a Democrat just to take him on.

My wife hated the debate. It really upset her that the candidates were fighting with each other. It didn’t bother me a bit. I think they really do need to debate some stuff and take the gloves off at this point. Who won the debate? They will all say they did of course. My wife finished not really liking any of the candidates. None of them inspire me. Pete is still my favorite but, he even bugs me.

All of the Dems have a different health care plan. All of them say their plan is best and will save money. I have my doubts. The Republican stance seems to be to ignore health care now.

Part of me is scared of Bernie and part of me says the only way things will change in this country is a revolution of sorts and he’s the guy for that. He is right, this country no longer works for the people anymore.

Think the divide in this country is growing. I hate Trump and what the Republicans have become. I am not impressed with the Democrats and their plan or lack of it. There is a lack of quality leadership in this country now and there are no morals in Washington. I fear where we are heading as a country. Actually I fear where we are already. I only see things getting worse, not better. So sad.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

How I've got to my age without killing myself doing something stupid (plenty of those), or with all fingers / toes / eyes intact beats me but I'll take it.

When we (those with private health care) argue for better health we're really arguing for it on behalf of the poor - as far as I can tell, in any developed country if you've got it, you're fine.

I don't know if that applies to USA with cancer, of course...
Last edited by 3rdside on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 am
How I've got to my age without killing myself doing something stupid (plenty of those), or with all fingers / toes / eyes intact beats me but I'll take it.

When we (those with private health care) argue for better health we're really arguing for it on behalf of the poor - as far as I can tell, in any developed country if you've got it, you're fine.

Yes, it applies to cancer in the US I can say confidently as a cancer survivor.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I ruled out Bloomberg after last night's debate. He's better off throwing his money at whomever comes out of this group. What bothers you about Pete, 'Dack? I'll take any of the remaining candidates for President over Trump. Hell, I'd take almost anybody over Trump.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Bloomberg is a racist and sexist asshole. Let's just let him spend money on beating Trump by supporting good candidates.

I saw a graphic yesterday that showed he is so rich, he could buy every single team in the NBA and still have a billion or two left. I can't even comprehend that.

With Pete--I am about 75 minutes from there, and despite it being in the midwest, it is very much a college town. And running a small college town with a population roughly the size of ASU's student population doesn't give me any sense he is capable of representing a congressional district, much less a state, and least of all a country of 330 million. I am worried about his track record when it comes to race in South Bend, too.

All of that said, I would gladly vote for him over Trump. Any non-racist will get my vote over Trump.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:33 am
3rdside wrote:

Nice work sir. What happened next, are you still with the same company as if you move it's pre-existing or does it not matter?

On a much less important note, my comment in the quote I've reworded as it's a little incorrect:

"When we (those with private health care) argue for better health as far as I can tell we're really arguing for it on behalf of those that can't afford it - in any developed country if you've got it, you're fine".

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bloomberg comes across as a Republican who wants to beat Trump so bad he became a Democrat for the election. He has a lot of baggage and is another rich guy trying to buy an election, which doesn’t sit well with a lot of folks.

I was settling on Pete as my favorite out of the bunch on stage. He is the most well spoken and comes across as a really smart guy. There is something bugging me about him and I can’t put a finger on it. He was in attack mode like the rest of them last night and I don’t like the look. Yes, his track record isn’t much of a track record, not that it’s bad. He just doesn’t have that experience. Maybe that’s bad. Maybe that’s a good thing. He’s my reluctant favorite.

Another part of me wants Sanders. Trump was elected I believe in part because he was an outsider willing to blow things up to make changes. He definitely made changes and broke the norms but, all in a bad destructive way. His supporters are happy he is taking it to Washington and F’ing with everything. Sanders promises big changes too and at this point I can see that our system is FU beyond belief. Part of me wants Sanders to go Trump in the opposite direction. Another part tells me that will just divide the country even more and we are so far apart already that that could push us over the edge.

I see two things from all the Democrats. They want to beat Trump and they all have their different version of healthcare they want to implement that probably won’t happen. One of them might get elected and preside over a insanely divided country. Republicans would be out for blood and probably start the impeachment process before they even take office if by some miracle they get elected. How much control they have will depend on who controls the House and Senate.

My outlook for the US is gloomy no matter who is elected from either party. Nothing is uniting us. Washington is totally corrupt. Everything is pulling us apart and there are no hero's out there on the horizon. So sad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The senate and house elections are just as, if not more, important as the presidency.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought Warren was awesome in the debate last night. She just skewered Bloomberg, deservedly so.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think she is the most qualified to be president. She is very sharp, too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:33 am
3rdside wrote:

Nice work sir. What happened next, are you still with the same company as if you move it's pre-existing or does it not matter?

On a much less important note, my comment in the quote I've reworded as it's a little incorrect:

"When we (those with private health care) argue for better health as far as I can tell we're really arguing for it on behalf of those that can't afford it - in any developed country if you've got it, you're fine".
I had prostate cancer and caught it at 1%. I had the prostate removed along with the cancer.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Glad you ended up ok. You are too old for more kids anyway.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 am
Dude, I was way done with having kids by that point. I've never had any interest in being a Tony Randall or Jeff Goldblum.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:14 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 am
Dude, I was way done with having kids by that point. I've never had any interest in being a Tony Randall or Jeff Goldblum.
Charlie Chaplin had kids in his 70s...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wow!