Suns News: Weeks 16-18 2/10-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 16 2/10-2/16

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 pm
emerging 3-and-D stud Mikal Bridges
:lol:
It’s not a joke. Why do you find it necessary to downplay the Suns’ players so frequently?
Specific to Bridges, he is barely sniffing 3&D "stud" territory. So I found the statement a little ridiculous. I don't throw around the label "stud" generously; maybe the author has a different concept of what a stud is.

As for rest of the team, I'm not sure what you mean. Fan sites tend overrate their own players; I try to evaluate any player objectively. So maybe that is where your perception comes from. I don't think Rubio is a very good player, but I thought that way before he was a Sun, and I don't see why him being a Sun should change my opinion. I don't think much of Cam Johnson because I thought he was a borderline 1st rounder, and we drafted in the lottery ahead of more talented players; he's James Jones Reloaded, not terrible, but certainly limited. The only other player I think of that might fit your assertion of being downplayed is Ayton; he is super productive but struggles to truly impact the game and remain aggressive. That evaluation is hardly unique to me, though.

Overall, this isn't a good team. Some probably feel differently, which is symptomatic of an organization that has struggled mightily for the last decade. We can hand out passes, contrive excuses, or spin what we're being given as better than it actually is, but ultimately the lack of winning doesn't lie.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
I am aware of what the word means. And a sample size of 50 recent shots is not a sample size you should trust, when there are 400 other shots that tell a different story.

I am very hopeful that the recent trend is going to stick, and with it he will be more willing to take open shots (and his teammates will be more willing to pass him the ball to take the open shot). But I am not going to pretend that his best 50 of his 450 3P shots is what he is yet.
Let's not assume the reverse either. Deal?
It isn't an assumption. His career is 33% from 3. It is great he is on a streak the last 50 shots or so. But just because Devin goes on a streak of hitting 50 FTs in a row doesn't make me say is a 100% FT shooter.
OK, you win. He’s horrible and always will be.
What is the point of extremely exaggerating Indy's point? Is that the only way to invalidate it?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
I am aware of what the word means. And a sample size of 50 recent shots is not a sample size you should trust, when there are 400 other shots that tell a different story.

I am very hopeful that the recent trend is going to stick, and with it he will be more willing to take open shots (and his teammates will be more willing to pass him the ball to take the open shot). But I am not going to pretend that his best 50 of his 450 3P shots is what he is yet.
Let's not assume the reverse either. Deal?
It isn't an assumption. His career is 33% from 3. It is great he is on a streak the last 50 shots or so. But just because Devin goes on a streak of hitting 50 FTs in a row doesn't make me say is a 100% FT shooter.
OK, you win. He’s horrible and always will be.
What is the point of extremely exaggerating Indy's point? Is that the only way to invalidate it?
No, but I'm not going to take the time to go back and forth on it. That would be a waste of time.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I agree, you certainly aren't obligated to engage in a prolonged back and forth. I just feel the exaggeration is beneath you and misrepresents Indy's point.

Ultimately, I don't think there is that big of a divide between the points of view. One side sees the small sample size as clear enough indication that Bridges is closing in on being a 3&D stud. The other side acknowledges it is an encouraging trend, but it just isn't a substantial to make any definitive projection.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:34 am
I am wondering about Tristan Thompson, whom JJ played with in Cleveland. Don't love his game or his fit unless it's at the right price and he's coming off the bench, which seems far fetched.
I rethinking this. When you first brought it up, I had no interest. But he might be a worthwhile free agent target. One issue will be his agent his Rich Paul.

I don't think Thompson will care about coming off the bench; I'm just afraid of his asking price. He is a MLE type guy, but he may go searching for an Al Hordford deal (which looked bad at the time, and looks even worse now).

One interesting development is that Thompson has started to take and make 3s.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:29 pm
I agree, you certainly aren't obligated to engage in a prolonged back and forth. I just feel the exaggeration is beneath you and misrepresents Indy's point.

Ultimately, I don't think there is that big of a divide between the points of view. One side sees the small sample size as clear enough indication that Bridges is closing in on being a 3&D stud. The other side acknowledges it is an encouraging trend, but it just isn't a substantial to make any definitive projection.
Fair enough.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It’s not a joke. Why do you find it necessary to downplay the Suns’ players so frequently?
Specific to Bridges, he is barely sniffing 3&D "stud" territory. So I found the statement a little ridiculous. I don't throw around the label "stud" generously; maybe the offer has a different concept of what a stud is.

As for rest of the team, I'm not sure what you mean. Fan sites tend overrate their own players; I try to evaluate any player objectively. So maybe that is where your perception comes from. I don't think Rubio is a very good player, but I thought that way before he was a Sun, and I don't see why him being a Sun should change my opinion. I don't think much of Cam Johnson because I thought he was a borderline 1st rounder, and we drafted in the lottery ahead of more talented players; he's James Jones Reloaded, not terrible, but certainly limited. The only other player I think of that might fit your assertion of being downplayed is Ayton; he is super productive but struggles to truly impact the game and remain aggressive. That evaluation is hardly unique to me, though.

Overall, this isn't a good team. Some probably feel differently, which is symptomatic of an organization that has struggled mightily for the last decade. We can hand out passes, contrive excuses, or spin what we're being given as better than it actually is, but ultimately the lack of winning doesn't lie.
This might be entirely unfair, but when I read this post the voice that came to me with you speaking this out loud was an extremely arrogant and condescending tone.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Specific to Bridges, he is barely sniffing 3&D "stud" territory. So I found the statement a little ridiculous. I don't throw around the label "stud" generously; maybe the offer has a different concept of what a stud is.

This might be entirely unfair, but when I read this post the voice that came to me with you speaking this out loud was an extremely arrogant and condescending tone.
And no mention of our lack of depth due to suspension and injury forcing us to play pieces out of position for much of the year and severely impacting our bench.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We still lack depth even with the injured players back. Our lack of depth isn’t a health problem, it’s a personnel issue. We have 2 core pieces, a potential complement, a 6th man who is starting, a rookie who can hit some 3s and a bunch of significantly flawed pieces otherwise. Development, time, patience, none of those will fix that. Which makes the front office complacency so frustrating.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree they need another scorer/creator, also a competent backup PG(I would like an upgrade to Ricky), a starting PF difference maker, a backup PF, and if they are thinking Baynes is gone, a decent backup C.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
I don't agree with that. To me it read as INF just stating his opinion.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Stats tailor made for Cap:

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wasn’t 27-0 a cubby quote? One of the tweets said that.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Beyond Ayton's obvious imporovement on defense, I am happy that our best lineup is made of five players under contract for next season.

Now, the next jump should come from adding better rotation players than those already in place, which in theory is not hard when you look at Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky, Diallo, Carter, Okobo and Jerome.

But in practice, you have less than 30M to get a starter quality PF, a backup PG and a backup C/PF.

Not wasting the 2020 1stR and getting a contributor out of it would be huge, but it remains to be seen and JJones doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to me.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

And jokers trying to say Ayton isn’t an impact player.

Ayton is the best all around player from his draft. He may not have the glam, but he’s a 2 way player. It’s what it is.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 am
I read somewhere this is a bit biased as the opposition players this unit has faced aren't that strong .. but positive news is good news ...

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

My favourite Ryan McD genius ever: