Game Day: Suns (23-34) @ Jazz (36-20), Mon 2/24/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (23-34) @ Jazz (36-20), Mon 2/24/20

Post by ShelC »

It's kind of funny because even tho the Jazz are 36-21, their fans are kind of down on them and don't think they're that good. And while we beat them last night, we also seem to be a really good matchup. They only have one scorer in Mitchell and Bojan can get hot, but Conley's been a major dud, Ingles hasn't played well offensively, they have no true PF (Bojan plays there) and Gobert isn't really a threat to score. They're well coached but there also might be a bit of fool's gold there.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Big contribution from the bench -- 39 pts from Cam, Daric, Baynes and Carter.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Our swings and, ironically, our depth were too much for the Jazz.

Also, Dario looks pretty good as a backup 4/5.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:38 am
It's kind of funny because even tho the Jazz are 36-21, their fans are kind of down on them and don't think they're that good. And while we beat them last night, we also seem to be a really good matchup. They only have one scorer in Mitchell and Bojan can get hot, but Conley's been a major dud, Ingles hasn't played well offensively, they have no true PF (Bojan plays there) and Gobert isn't really a threat to score. They're well coached but there also might be a bit of fool's gold there.
Unless we lost, of course. Then the Jazz are a really good team that we match up poorly to and we shouldn't have expected to win.

I'll just chalk it up as beating a team with a much better record than ours and stare into the sun with joy today!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Everything looks amazing when all the shots fall. Rubio and Saric seem to shoot like that about once a month. It’d be great if they could streak a few of those games together.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:08 am
djy2j wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:01 pm
These refs are incredibly bad.
I truly believe that there will be a Donaghey type conspiracy that surfaces some day involving this season. You can’t watch a game right in front of your face and confidently make the calls that are being made. This is happening league wide.
Tonight were the most late calls that I've ever seen in one game. And only one of them benefited the Suns.
Totally agree. It was super odd.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:01 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm
Subs come in, doesn’t take long for things to go bad.
I am DONE with Okobo. He refuses to shoot the ball which causes defenses to easily pick off his passes. Carter is looking much better. I'd stop playing Okobo.
Between the refs and Okobo, it felt like the Suns were playing 4 on 9 at times in the first half. Good thing Monty essentially benched Okobo for the rest of the game, otherwise he would have tried to blow it for the Suns like he had money on it. The Suns were better than the Jazz from start to finish, but it was hard to see in the box score through the first half.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:37 am
Man that game was so fun to watch. Aside from the bullshit fouls raining left and right, everyone played well and that second half was pure poetry. This is playoff Suns tonight. Wish they could bottle this up and carry it forward.
The Suns are healthy for the most part, only down one power forward now. That to me is the biggest difference. Monty has bodies that go in the right slots now. Ayton gets in foul trouble and Baynes comes in and holds down the fort like he is supposed to. If they are done with injuries I could see a push.
I just don’t think we’re consistent enough from 3 to string together the kind of stretch needed to make a late push. Would love to be proven wrong

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Man that game was so fun to watch. Aside from the bullshit fouls raining left and right, everyone played well and that second half was pure poetry. This is playoff Suns tonight. Wish they could bottle this up and carry it forward.
The Suns are healthy for the most part, only down one power forward now. That to me is the biggest difference. Monty has bodies that go in the right slots now. Ayton gets in foul trouble and Baynes comes in and holds down the fort like he is supposed to. If they are done with injuries I could see a push.
This is what I've been trying to tell INF.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 am
I fully expected this team to put together a 10-game winning streak at some point. Time is running out, though.
Just go for it and see what happens. Playoffs are unlikely so I just want the team to have momentum going into next season and start understanding what they can become.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:19 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I fully expected this team to put together a 10-game winning streak at some point. Time is running out, though.
Just go for it and see what happens. Playoffs are unlikely so I just want the team to have momentum going into next season and start understanding what they can become.
Your bet on the over is looking pretty good, and that’s what really matters after all.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am
Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Your bet on the over is looking pretty good, and that’s what really matters after all.
I want the Suns to do what the Mavs did the last season before Dirk, Finley, and Nash hit the big time - make a ferocious dash towards the finish line. They fell short and so will the Suns most likely but you establish yourselves that way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:15 pm
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
I want the Suns to do what the Mavs did the last season before Dirk, Finley, and Nash hit the big time - make a ferocious dash towards the finish line. They fell short and so will the Suns most likely but you establish yourselves that way.
I wouldn't mind that, even just missing out. As a fan, you can point to how good we were and could have been if Ayton didn't get suspended for 25 games, but also you have identified pieces going forward and clear holes that can be filled that can make a major difference the next year. You can also expect another bump in production from experience and natural maturation.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 am
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
It’s just not true, it’s a homer take IMO

Rubio played at a level last night he’s only played at about a dozen times this season. That has nothing to do with injuries to the bigs. His shot is just so inconsistent.

If Ricky could play at that level consistently, we’d be a totally different team. He’d also probably be playing elsewhere.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm
Oubre with another idiotic taunting technical.
lol

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
True dat. My Knicks under bet looking good to payoff as well.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Rubio played at a level last night he’s only played at about a dozen times this season. That has nothing to do with injuries to the bigs. His shot is just so inconsistent.

If Ricky could play at that level consistently, we’d be a totally different team. He’d also probably be playing elsewhere.
There's nothing in that statement about Rubio. Are you responding to the right message? You seem lost.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

There's nothing in that statement about Rubio. Are you responding to the right message? You seem lost.
Lol. No you referenced the talk with INF that we were just Baynes and Saric away from competing, that it threw everything off not having them. That ignores the fact that Rubio played out of his mind last night, and we are more likely to see the Rubio pre all star break as that is closer to how he has been his whole career. So the bigs being healthy doesn’t change the trajectory of the team a whole lot, because what made the biggest difference to me last night was 22/11/7 steals from Rubio

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:29 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Lol. No you referenced the talk with INF that we were just Baynes and Saric away from competing, that it threw everything off not having them. That ignores the fact that Rubio played out of his mind last night, and we are more likely to see the Rubio pre all star break as that is closer to how he has been his whole career. So the bigs being healthy doesn’t change the trajectory of the team a whole lot, because what made the biggest difference to me last night was 22/11/7 steals from Rubio
Gotcha. However, my take has nothing to do with Rubio having monster games. It was just about everybody playing the roles they were brought in to play and having depth at each position, PG excepted.

Once again, what I was responding to courtesy of Nodack:
"Be Legendary."