RIP Swingman

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

RIP Swingman

Post by LazarusLong »

Just found out this morning that Mark Cederquist, a.k.a "Swingman," passed away in his sleep yesterday. He was only 48.

Some of the gang on .net will remember him from a few years back.

Swing was fond of Big Band era music, old jazz and old blues.
He had a huge collection of vinyl, including vintage 78s.

Swing was a real hoot sometimes, and other times could be a bit over the top.
Essentially, he was a big, happy-go-lucky kid who loved the Suns and music.

Virt will remember a gathering we had at Alice CoopersTown some years back.
We had a "watch" party of a Suns game there.
After, Swing went to a bar next door that featured a band; he sat in for a set playing the drums.

He learned the radio business at an experimental AM Carrier Current radio station in Buckeye, Arizona. Mark had a knack for mixing music and especially loved the music from the 'Roaring Twenties' to Big Band, Blues to Jazz, and Thumping Bass Rap and Techno Beats.

After Radio West Valley, Mark continued to plie his trade as an audio engineer and has personally digitized thousands of 78 rpm recordings that might have been lost forever. A couple of years ago he took on a project for Rollofone Records and helped remaster from the original steel masters of Glenn Miller's original hits. His reworked recordings sounded as good as they did when they were recorded 70 years ago.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Flagrant Fowl

Re: RIP Swingman

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

48 is too young. Rest In Peace.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

What?! That's crazy sad. I've really missed Swingy's input here, and now we will miss him on the music scene, too.

He gave us a lot while he was here. I hope he went out at peace with himself.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

RIP Swingman. I wish he could have seen a Suns Championship.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Awful wow

RIP

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

One of the .net OG’s. Swing absolutely knew how to stir the pot. I could appreciate his “tell it like it is” approach. Some couldn’t and that’s ok too. He kept it 💯. I would wonder from time to time if he’d ever make his way back here. RIp Swingy. Sorry you couldn’t see the Suns win a title before you had to go
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

RIP Swing. He knew how to push all of my sensitive little flower buttons. For all the arguments we would get in, he was consistent at standing his ground. 48 is way too young. Thanks for sharing all of those details Laz about Mark. He found a passion in life (several actually) and actually did something with it. Too many of us don't in our lifetime.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Thank you for letting us know the horrible news. He was an energetic human being who really had a beautiful soul and a fedora collection to match. I hope that he found some peace in his last years. Always hoped he'd make his way back here someday.

Dammit -- 48 is too young. He should have lived to be an ornery old man with stories about jazz and his time as a newspaperman.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Excellent take, AIG. Swing definitely traveled his own path ...

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Thanks, Virt. Swing was never dull ...

jonh

Post by jonh »

Wow--I had no idea he was so young. I enjoyed hearing what he had to say, even if I didn't always agree with him. Its crazy that I have been communicating with the posters here for so long, that I have distinct voices that I read their posts in, but I haven't communicated with them face to face. Makes me wish I was closer to the valley for get togethers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That is sad news. I was pretty close to Swingman for awhile. I took a picture of Swingman (Mark) playing the drums after our get together at that bar. I will try to locate it and post it. That is way too young to go.

sose

Post by sose »

Just heard the news. Very saddened to hear of Mark's passing. We shared some good times and some good beers. He was a passionate guy for sure and regrettably I allowed that to come between us a bit.. That said, he will be missed for sure.

sose

Post by sose »

I was just thinking a few weeks ago when MEE passed.. If anyone wants to sponsor flowers and a jersey or something like that again, let me know.

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

That's so sad. I always enjoyed reading his posts here. RIP

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

LL -- Swing was indeed never dull
Sose -- we should indeed pitch in for flowers and a jersey

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Very sad news. RIP, Swingman/Mark.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Awful news. He was one of the originals, think even back to the azcentral boards. Thanks for letting us know and sharing that info Laz.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Oh my God, that’s so sad to read, and he was so young, I had no idea he was so young.

Descansa en paz SwingMan.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

So sorry to hear this.