RIP Swingman

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: RIP Swingman

Post by Superbone »

Wow, I couldn't believe it when I read the subject. I never got to meet Swing in person but we had a connection with our love of jazz. He also played a little trombone if I remember right. He sent me some music to listen to at one point. Really sad news and he was taken way too young. He was one of the first Suns fans I "met" back on the old AZCentral website before we moved to Sose's joint and now here. It's a shame that he left this site due to his volatility before he passed.

RIP Swingman. You are not forgotten.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

That really sucks. We were in high school together. We didn’t run in the same crowds, but I knew who he was. I have missed his input here. Sose, PM me, I’m in.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I'm in for whatever thing you guys are organizing. Just let me know.
"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Rest in peace Mark. We will remember your name when our beloved team happens to be an NBA champion someday.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Such sad news. Like others, I've known SwingMan since all the way back at the old AZCentral site, then Sose's phxsuns.net, then here. He had such a strong personality. He was one of the most passionate people I have known, and that made him a great Suns fan. Nobody was happier than Swing when our team was having a good season. For many years he was one of the most frequent posters here on this site. I just checked and he had 1151 total posts, and he last posted here in June 2016.

Back in 2016 there was an incident that caused us to temporarily ban Swing from the site. It was nothing too serious; we sent him away for a while as a timeout measure, but we sincerely wanted him to return and rejoin our community. I think the ban really hurt him, made him feel mistreated and shunned by his community of friends and fans. He chose never to come back.

I didn't hear much from him after that. I did hear that he would post from time to time on various other NBA/Suns sites. I always hoped he'd come back here some day and talk Suns with us.

48 is way too young to go. I don't know whether it's because I am getting older myself (40), or because I have kids now, or what, but I find that lately it really hits me hard when I hear of the death of a friend or colleague or celebrity. I was surprised at how sad I was about Kobe's death, thinking about him and his daughters and how they wouldn't have their daddy any more. Hearing about Swing being gone, it just makes me sad and regretful for every time he and I butted heads or fought. He was a good guy, and I missed him. You never know when your argument with somebody will be the very last time you ever speak to them.

Rest in peace, Mark Cederquist. You will be missed but not forgotten.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

That's really sad to hear. I never met him in person, but I remember his frequent posts. There's so many people on this site that I feel I "know," even though I've never met them or directly conversed with them, but appreciate reading their posts (and though I don't post frequently, I do read the site at least a couple times a day).

Just sad to hear.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

RIP Swing.
48 really is too young.
Loved your insight, directness and passion.

Rest well young man.

I Can’t believe it’s been so long since the Az central days.
You all know I’m not a massive poster due to the time difference but love this site and community.

It’s made me think of MEE as well. We’ve love and lost over the years but our love for the Suns keeps bringing us back.

Sose, pm me and I’ll help out with anything we are putting together.

Hug your loved ones a little tighter.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

TOO

Post by TOO »

:(
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Just...wow. That's...surreal. Very sad...

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

This hurts me in a personal way; let me explain why.

Way back in the WebX days of 2003 .net, I sent a Live Message to Swingman. We got talking pretty regularly and eventually he sent a picture to me to show me the "face behind the posts." I remember his life advice to me and talking about his Tom Gugliotta jersey, of all things haha. I wanna say a couple months into messaging, he even offered to put me up at his place should I want to come to one of the .net get-togethers. Of course, the next day he told me he had had a bit too much to drink, but that he saw what he wrote and that that offer was very much still on the table. I loved that exchange. So much.

And of course we talked music.

He sent me several clips of jazz (a genre I still haven't developed a taste for but I'm getting there!) and asked many questions on what I was listening to at the time (the Nu Metal era of 2003).

I hate that I've been listening to this particular song on repeat for two weeks now. I hate that I've already lost a couple friends close to me both in relationship and age. And I hate that you've died, Mark. This song speaks of regrets (even more so when it was appropriated by a dying Johnny Cash), of which I have plenty, even at my relatively young age.

I regret not meeting you, Mark. But I'll see you on the other side. -jared

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Such sad, and shocking, news. RIP

carey

Post by carey »

Awful news. :(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In honor of Swingman, I present you with this, as published by Swingman himself on YouTube:

Goodbye, Swing. I'm sorry we never got a chance to hang out in person.

I'll leave you with Swing's own words:
Swingman wrote:Let yourself go.

Let yourself mend.

Let yourself dig.....
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

RIP Swing!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I'm sad to hear about this. Sad that he left and never came back too. RIP Swing.

YGR

Post by YGR »

WOW, Such sad news. I've known Swingy since old Sose's phxsuns.net. He was one of the most strong personalities and very passionate Suns fun I remembered. His posts were definitely strong and passionate, but he also had sweet spots, too.

I don't post much, but I still feel like I know everybody, like a big family here.

48 is too young. Rest In Peace, Swingy.

Laz, thank you for let us know, it's had been hard for you, too.

pickle

Post by pickle »

This is terrible news... RIP Swing. I remember the old days in the original .net when I still posted more, and I remember the photo from that get together (too bad I've not been in the valley for way too long and never got to attend any of the gatherings).

I'd pitch in on the flowers, but I'm not set up for payment in the US these days... last time I tried to log into PayPal I got locked out...

Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

R.I.P. Swing

He was one of the first to welcome me back in the WebX days.
#SarverOut

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

vale Swingman... miss his posts.. remember his posts from the old .net

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Wow, what terrible news. RIP Swing. Even though I barely post anymore, I feel like I know a bunch of you here (hard to believe i've been around since early 2004). I always liked reading his thoughts on the Suns, this bums me out.